Wooden Frame On Sundance Altamar

I am getting close to buying a hot tub and I am definitely leaning toward the Sundance Altamar. My husband and I have wet tested several brands and this spa is our favorite. There are two issues with the Altamar that I'd like to get some more information about.

1. Sundance uses wooden frames on the bottom of their spas. We've been told by a couple of folks and some dealers (one sell Sundances along with Jacuzzis) that little rodents and animals find homes beneath the hot tubs and that the wood can rot. Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this potentially serious problem?

2. The Sundance warranty isn't as long as some other brands, i.e., Vita Spas, ThermSpas, Superior Spas, Arctic Spas, PDC Spas. Anyone have problems with Sundance spas breaking down right after the warranty period ends?

Thanks for your help!

I am getting close to buying a hot tub and I am definitely leaning toward the Sundance Altamar. My husband and I have wet tested several brands and this spa is our favorite. There are two issues with the Altamar that I'd like to get some more information about.

1. Sundance uses wooden frames on the bottom of their spas. We've been told by a couple of folks and some dealers (one sell Sundances along with Jacuzzis) that little rodents and animals find homes beneath the hot tubs and that the wood can rot. Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this potentially serious problem?

2. The Sundance warranty isn't as long as some other brands, i.e., Vita Spas, ThermSpas, Superior Spas, Arctic Spas, PDC Spas. Anyone have problems with Sundance spas breaking down right after the warranty period ends?

Thanks for your help!

I have pieced tubs out of backyards that was only 8 years old and I have brought complete hot tubs out of yards in one piece that was 19 years old. Depends on location and exposure to elements, termite problems, ant problems, ect... Sundance is a very good spa despite the wooden infrastructure. What do you mean sundance has less warranty than the other above manufacturers?

I live in San Francisco and it is very damp in my neighborhood, so that is why I am quite concerned with the wooden frame and the prospect of little furry creatures making their homes in the frame of my spa. We are planning on setting the tub on a concrete pad, but I am not sure that this will be enough to prevent rot. Anyone else have any positive or negative experiences with the wooden frame in Sundance spas, particularly if you live in areas with a lot of dampness or humidity?

Regarding the warranties, I found a website that compares the warranties of various spa manufacturers http://www.hottubsparatings.com/spa-comparison.htm

The list isn't completely accurate, but it gives you more or less an idea of the length of different warranties out there. For example, Arctic, Bullfrong and Vita Spas all have a lifetime warranty on structure. Sundance has a 10 year warranty on the shell; 7 years on the siding; 5 years on parts. And you have to replace the filter every year ($95 each).

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Some warranties may look great but they arent worth the paper they are written on. You have to do a little more investigating on warranties. I wouldnt worry about rodent damaged to your spa. if your in a wet area do a spray around the perimeter and keep the bugs away. If Sundance had a horrible warranty I dont think they would have sols as many as they have

Thanks for your help!

1. As long as the wood is not directly on the ground no need to worry. How many 50-60 year old house have you seen that are wood based still standing? The old wood frame argument is silly.

2. Most things that break after the first year are not the manufactures fault anyways, most warranties read they cover manufactures defects only.