Hi Everyone, I'm New Here! Looking To Make A Purchase!

:D OK I'm sure being a "hot tub" forum this place probably has it's fair share of knowledgeable people so bear with me here and try not to beat me up if any questions I have seem dumb.

My wife and I are purchasing a home and somehting we would really like to add to the backyard is a hot tub. We live in Massachusetts, so insulation / heating costs (esp. in the winter) are a concern.

We would like something for probably at least 6+ people as we will do entertaining at our house. We don't have a budget ironed out in stone, but we do want to stay very reasonable. I would honstly like to stay under $6k, and less if possible.

Anyways, I have done some reading here, and I don't need all the best features. Costco seems to have a nice unit by Keys Backyard (Discovery Aura) (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...av=&browse=)

Is this a decent product? Will it cost me a fortune to operate? Are there any known issues with this?

Also; we have propane tank on the exterior of the house tha, as of now, is only used to supply the fireplace. I was thinking it would be worthwhile to have the propane heat the hot tub vs. electricity. How do I do that? Do I need to buy a special hot tub? Or are all hot tubs heated just by 220v?

Thirdly, I want to build a deck around the hot tub. The way the house is right now, we have a walk-out basement, so the deck on the house now is about 8 - 10' above grade with a staircase going down to the yard. The staircase has a landing about 5' over the ground, so I was thinking about "T'ing" off the landing with a 2nd set of steps down to the hot tub and then simply building a surround around the hot tub. Do you usually build the decking flush with the hot tub or 1' or so down? I have seen it both ways. Also, the decking I currently have is just Pressure treated. Is that fine to use? I would like a riche color later, but I could just stain it, right? (new homeowner here in case you couldn't tell)

Finally, the pad - does it need ot be poured concrete? IMO, if crushed stone works, then I would just rather use that, a) becuase it's easier to place and move down the road and B) no one is going to see it anyways.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Para.

I'm also a Masshole too and was in a very similliar situation as you a few years ago; Wanting a hot tub, but not wanting to break the bank.

A quality hot tub that can fit 5 or 6 adults, and provide good insualtiion in New England for under 6K is tough. Sorry. The Keys tubs are so-so and while "feature rich" for the price, you're electricity bill in Jan and febrauary will go up by $75++++ each month.

Another poster from New England has a Nordic tub, and while he was able to get into it for less than 6K, he also had to wrap sleeping bags around it in the winter time to keep his electric bill from skyrocketing.

You want a quality Full Foam hot tub.

It will probably run you over 6k. Sorry. But that's the truth.

Ensure you puchase a 220v tub.

I'd recomend you take a look at Tiger River, Hotspring and Caldera.

Where in MA are you located? I can recomend 2 Hotsprings and Caldera dealer. Caldera and Tiger River both have tubs under 7K that might really fit you bill

As far as putting the tub on the deck, sure. Lots of folks do it. You'll need to double up the supports in order for it to carry the load.

As for a pad, you don't need to pour a pad. Althought it's considered the "best" foundation you can do pavers or a spa pad. You do have options, but you will need a darn solid and level place for the tub.

Where ever you put the tub, keep it near the door/house. Using it in the winter is the Best! BUT walking out to a tub (and back) in Feburay isn't so fun. I have my tub just 3 feet from my house and it's great

Gas Fired? Nah. you see those only on the in the pool heaters or "hot tubs" that are built into the patios for the pools. They are not as energy efficent as a quality hot tub.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Hey Para.

I'm also a Masshole too and was in a very similliar situation as you a few years ago; Wanting a hot tub, but not wanting to break the bank.

A quality hot tub that can fit 5 or 6 adults, and provide good insualtiion in New England for under 6K is tough. Sorry. The Keys tubs are so-so and while "feature rich" for the price, you're electricity bill in Jan and febrauary will go up by $75++++ each month.

Another poster from New England has a Nordic tub, and while he was able to get into it for less than 6K, he also had to wrap sleeping bags around it in the winter time to keep his electric bill from skyrocketing.

You want a quality Full Foam hot tub.

It will probably run you over 6k. Sorry. But that's the truth.

Ensure you puchase a 220v tub.

I'd recomend you take a look at Tiger River, Hotspring and Caldera.

Where in MA are you located? I can recomend 2 Hotsprings and Caldera dealer. Caldera and Tiger River both have tubs under 7K that might really fit you bill

As far as putting the tub on the deck, sure. Lots of folks do it. You'll need to double up the supports in order for it to carry the load.

As for a pad, you don't need to pour a pad. Althought it's considered the "best" foundation you can do pavers or a spa pad. You do have options, but you will need a darn solid and level place for the tub.

Where ever you put the tub, keep it near the door/house. Using it in the winter is the Best! BUT walking out to a tub (and back) in Feburay isn't so fun. I have my tub just 3 feet from my house and it's great

Gas Fired? Nah. you see those only on the in the pool heaters or "hot tubs" that are built into the patios for the pools. They are not as energy efficent as a quality hot tub.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. In that case, I will forget about the propane.

I was going to put the tub on the ground and build the deck around it (probably flush with the top).

I'm actually moving south of Worcester to Uxbridge.

To be honest, I just don't think I will have 6k+ to shell out at this point, although I would probably at least look at them. I just want to keep it **reasonable**

I anticipate myself using the spa probably 2 - 3x per week, and at least 1x per week.

The location of the deck is the easiest way to get to it without going into the basement.It would be roughly 10 - 15 feet to the spa then.

I am also a lifelong Masshole (but I moved to Providence 2 years ago). I have a Keys tub and can confirm that I pay around $75 a month extra on my electric bill in the winter months since getting the tub. It's maybe 20-30 bucks a month in summer. I like the tub and think it is an option for someone on a budget. If you like the tub but are concerned about the high costs, there are several posts on here about people who added insulation and thier bill went way down. I've been planning on trying it myself but haven't yet, so I don't have any first hand info on that Another option is looking on craigslist for a used one if you want to go with one of the higher end tubs but don't have the extra money to buy a new one. Keep in mind the warranties on most tubs are not transferable.

If you have any specific questions about the Keys tubs I would be happy to answer. Good Luck.

:D OK I'm sure being a "hot tub" forum this place probably has it's fair share of knowledgeable people so bear with me here and try not to beat me up if any questions I have seem dumb.

My wife and I are purchasing a home and somehting we would really like to add to the backyard is a hot tub. We live in Massachusetts, so insulation / heating costs (esp. in the winter) are a concern.

We would like something for probably at least 6+ people as we will do entertaining at our house. We don't have a budget ironed out in stone, but we do want to stay very reasonable. I would honstly like to stay under $6k, and less if possible.

Anyways, I have done some reading here, and I don't need all the best features. Costco seems to have a nice unit by Keys Backyard (Discovery Aura) (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...av=&browse=)

Is this a decent product? Will it cost me a fortune to operate? Are there any known issues with this?

The biggest advantages for the premium spas vs some of the more bargain priced spas are, 1) insulation/cost of operation, 2) quality/longevity (in 8 yrs will the Keys still be running? vs. a premium spa that should be going strong), 3) local dealer service, warranty backing, etc. (having a warranty is one thing, getting the manufacturer to honor it fully often is another subject altogether).

I understand the pricing can be key and that you have a budget. On many spas here you have littel support after the purchase you need to be a do-it-yourselfer to go that route so hopefully you are. The best thing you can do is check out all your options so you really know what your choices are. Avoid some of the crazy new spas being sold out of storage units, Pennysavers and peoples garages where they say it's a $9k spa still in the wrapper on sale for $4k.

I say get what you feel comfortable paying for and are happy with. A lot of folks on here really push the $7500+ spas on people like anything less is pure trash. The truth is that you can always find a good deal on tubs that do just as good a job as the more expensive ones, the main thing is getting it somewhere that is going to offer you support once you get it installed.

The only reason I didn't go with the Costco spa is because once you get it home, who do you call for tips and advice? If you buy it from a spa store, at least you know if you ever need help with a quick question you can always give them a call and they will be willing to help you out.

Also, don't be afraid to get a gently used spa. You'd be surprised how many folks move and don't want to take their spa with them so they let them go dirt cheap. I would just pay a local spa tech his hourly rate to check it out for you and then use your own judgment.

Good luck with your spa. You will definitely enjoy it. Keep in mind that if you build a deck surround, make sure you build it so that you have easy access to the control panel and motors.

Just getting my bearings on all this. How does something like this look? http://providence.craigslist.org/hsh/304281938.html

$4200 seems like a LOT of money for a used 2-yr-old hot tub. From the day that you fill it with water and power it up, the hot tub is outdoors in the weather, wearing out., corroding, and deteriorating. A used hot tub is not the same as a new hot tub, just like a used car is not the same as a new car. From the pictures only, that hot tub looks okay but it's worth maybe half of what they're asking, in my opinion, and that's only if it is in excellent condition and well-maintained.

$4200 seems like a LOT of money for a used 2-yr-old hot tub. From the day that you fill it with water and power it up, the hot tub is outdoors in the weather, wearing out., corroding, and deteriorating. A used hot tub is not the same as a new hot tub, just like a used car is not the same as a new car. From the pictures only, that hot tub looks okay but it's worth maybe half of what they're asking, in my opinion, and that's only if it is in excellent condition and well-maintained.

I would agree unless it comes with somekind of warranty and backing. They may have payed 9800 but they got screwed. It should of been closer to 6-7 G's and 2 grand off the top when it hits your yard That makes 4-5 grand with a warranty is what it is worth. But because this owner can't offer you a warranty then I would say closer to 3-3.5 G's

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have experience with adding insulation to a Hot Tub? I see this referenced in the posting but I am wondering what method people have used to do this? I also own the Keys Backyard spa - and I am beginning to see the jump in my electricity costs monthly.

Would appreciate any insight into which methods any of you have used or might recommend to add additional insulation (reflective insulation vs foam insulation vs other???).