D1 v HS

Guest Brian H may

Guest Brian H may

I am looking at the D1 Chairman II and the HS Grandee. I am about $8500-$8700 for each of them. I havent heard much about the D1 on any forum that I am reading. The D1 has a single lounge with "sequencing jets". The HS has the Moto massage. I need help deciding. What is the monthly cost of ownership? What breaks and how much to repair? (I repair medical equipment for a living so I can do alot myself.) I also heard ALL the water goes throgh the filters on the HS and none gets bypassed. Not true on the D1. Is that an issue or just a gimmack. Also does the lounge make people float.The dealer says that the lounge is "close to the water surface" so less likly to float. I like the D1 but would like some unbiased opinions. Thanx.

Guest spatech (the unreal one)

Both are top quality spa makers who back their prodcuts so you can't go wrong either way. Persoanlly, I would always want to wet test before buying a spa and this is ESPECIALLY true if one is a lounge spa as you don't want to find out if the lounge works for you when it's sitting in your backyard. I'm not sure what the dealer meant about the lounge being "close to the water surface" so less likely to float. There is only one way to be sure and that is to wet test. You can have two people wet test and one can float and the other may not.

The first thing you need to decide is if you want a lounger or not. The Grandee has barrier free seating and no lounger. Also are you looking at the new redesigned Grandee? The updated model has three new features which make it my favorite.First the two single motos have been replaced by two double motos. Second the pup size hs been increased 2.0 & 2.5 hp from 1.65 hp. Last the Tri-X filters are standard now. I have not seen the new Grandee for much under 10k anywhere.

D1 & Hot Spring are very comparable. The shells are made of the same material, with decorative tile work at the water line, weir gate filtration and apparently in pricing too.

First, to clarify some terms I have seen used. a.)"No bypass filtration" or b.)"100% continuous filtration; over 10,000 gallons/day" guess who said "a" and who said "b". Its a push

Second, Both brands as still using the old fashioned 48 frame motors with start/run capacitors. Since neither of these brands are using the newest technology pumps, ie; switchless single speed motors. Again, its a push.

Third, DuPont MicroBan (a rose by any other name) filters are available on the after market, and they are worth using and the selling dealer would probably throw them in to close the sale. Again, its a push.

Last, will cost about the same to operate ~.75 - $1.00 per day. Again, its a push.

Here is what it boils down to, serviceability / expense once out of warranty: since most folks keep their hot tubs beyond the warranty years.

D1 wins because the major components are available on the after market, whereas, " Our wide variety of proprietary hot tub jets and jet systems allow you to customize your hot tub hydromassage experience. Soothe your senses with our tranquil and relaxing spa water, light, and music features." Proprietary means you must go back to the dealership, and pay dealership prices to get parts.

So, there's my 2 cents on the subject

D1 wins this round of celebrity hot tub death-match.

-Gary

All of the water will get filtered in a D1 spa. The comment is partially true though, D1's 24 hour filtration system doesn't filter all the water, there are a few dead spots, but every model also filters a minimum of two additional filter cycles to help eliminate those dead spots. So only true to a certain extent. Both will filter the same when comparing the right filtering systems. Second, D1 does have some acrylic shells, which is similar to HS, but they also have the lifetime warranteed Ultralife. I believe the warranty is on their website, and yes, it's prorated, but what warranty isn't? Also, as far as warranty work goes, trust the local dealer more than the company itself. Some companies have wonderful warranties, but their dealer in your area may not be good at doing warranty work, so consider the dealers as well, whether or not they will stand by the warranty.

Both are great spa lines, and they each have benifits and downsides. Definitely wet test, and see which gives you the better massage. After all, that is probably why you are getting the spa in the first place. There are differences between the two, but both are very reputable companies. The comments in the first paragraph were to clear up the mistaken comments above, not to try to suade you into the D1, it's ultimately up to you and you will most likely be satisfied with either choice.

Guest East Tx Spa

"So, there's my 2 cents on the subject".......

And that's about what it's worth.

Brian, I can't give you an unbiased opinion like you requested as I work for a company that has exclusively sold HotSpring for 21 years. I will say that Dimension 1 makes a fine spa, nothing in the world wrong with them, if it's the spa for you then enjoy it and never regret your decision. HotSpring and D-1 are two of the most respected names in the industry, they didn't get to be that way by building cheap generic spas. They became industry leaders by creating innovations that others did not have the foresight, capabilities or resources to develop. They are both unsurpassed in taking care of the customer for the duration of ownership. That is irrefutable.

There are many fly-by-night companies and characters in this industry who will try to fill your head with garbage. Keep doing the research, ask questions, wet test, and use your good sense and the answer will be clear which one is right for you. Good luck with whatever spa you choose!

Terminator

Guest Jim Arjuna

I can give you biased opionion, based on years of working on spas also. I don't like either one of those brands, and for the life of my I don't know how they are still around.

Sarah:

Just to make sure your comments are in check on this board, you need to know that D1's lifetime warranty on the Ultra Life Shell are not prorated. There is a caveat that state's after 7 years D1 is intitled to charge the customer to ship the spa back to their factory for repairs on the shell, however, if the dealer can repair the shell at their location then it's done at no charge to the customer.

Other than that, your comments are accurate and appreciated. Thanks for the good words on both brands of spas.

Guest spatech (the unreal one)

Brian,

Wet test both and let that be your guide. Both are very good spas that match up very well to the point that I'd base more of my decision on the wet test than anything (though both may be equally fine there as well) and past that I'd concentrate on the effectiveness of the dealer to service your needs.

Guest Jim Arjuna

I would concentrate on the product and the product; then the company, and then the dealer. If the product is what you are buying, and what you are going to have to live with, then you need to know what you are buying.

So many of the D1 dealers are gone.

Guest Guest_Mike_*

Go with the D1, you won't have any regrets or buyer's remorse. If this is your first spa, you don't want to take a chance. D1 is a good spa and the company supports their dealers and makes sure they are qualified. I've toured their factory in San Diego and it is very impressive. You won't find many complaints about D1 on this or any other forums

Guest East Tx Spa

Go with the HotSpring, you won't have any regrets or buyer's remorse. If this is your first spa, you don't want to take a chance. HotSpring is a great spa and the company supports their dealers and makes sure they are qualified. I've toured their factory in San Diego and it is very impressive. You won't find many complaints about HotSpring on this or any other forums.

Terminator

Sarah said, "but they also have the lifetime warranteed Ultralife. I believe the warranty is on their website, and yes, it's prorated, but what warranty isn't? "

To answer your last question first: HotSpring, Tiger River, Caldera and about four dozen others are not prorated. When these companies say seven years, it means seven years. When D1 says 'lifetime,' it means seven years. And then after that, if you ship the spa to the factory, they will fix it.

Not a bad warranty - but not "lifetime."

• 5 years later...

I can give you biased opionion, based on years of working on spas also. I don't like either one of those brands, and for the life of my I don't know how they are still around.

I've done plenty of repairs and don't understand where you are coming from. Everything is pretty straight forward, easy to repair and IMHO both good spas.

I've done plenty of repairs and don't understand where you are coming from. Everything is pretty straight forward, easy to repair and IMHO both good spas.

Perhaps things have changed since the last post in this thread from September 2005! It is now 2011!