Oils On Top Of Water

BGore

Just got a tub about a month ago. I purchased a Hot Springs Tub and have noticed each day that a coating of oil is on surface of water more closer ttto the edges. I put in chlorine as per manufacturer and all other levels are where they should be. My tub has 325 sq ft filtration and a circulation pump that runs 24/7. I have tried an oxidizer in place of chlorine and still the same. My tub has an ozonator and a silver ion cartridge. What could be causing this and how can I fix it? Any help would be appreciated. I am using the Freshwater chemicals that came with Tub.

I had the same problem with what looked like oil residue on the water surface. I tried shocking and everything and nothing worked until I used 6 ounces or Purezymes or Enzymes, and then 2 ounces of pure blue or clarifier, and this worked great. The filter will then be able to clear up the water.

That is normal. The filter on most spas are not made to remove the oil from the water. Its not caused from your chemicals, it is your body oils. When you get in the come off your body and stay in the water. SInce the filtration systems are not made to deal with the extra body oils all you need to do is add some clarifier to your spa and it will take the small oil particles and combine them in groups large enough so that the filter can remove them from the spa. Dont worry it happens in everyones spa. You just need to know what chemicals to take care of it. Good luck.

Like everyone said, it is most probably oils from your body (and can also be from hair products, deodarents, ect). You can purchase a "scumball" which is a ball that floats in your tub and helps absorb all these oils (it also comes from other manufacturers like a small square or whatever, but they all do the same thing). These are inexpensive and probably worth a try. You just put it in your tub, and when it's at the end of its usage, throw it away and get another. And like somebody else said (can't remember, one post above this i think?) it could be residual left in plumbing. In colder areas, many tubs are shipped winterized (non toxic anti freeze in plumbing) as was mine, as well as lubricants, etc used in the plumbing and this could be coming out in the water. I was told to fill my tub and drain it within one month when i first bought it, but not to worry about the anti freeze as it made up only about 3% of the volume and would not harm me (got to enjoy my tub right away). Good luck and hope something helps.

FWIW, we had some "icky sticky stuff" show up in the form of a ring around the tub and occasional little particles floating in the water for the first week or so after initially filling and starting up our tub. We're using BaquaSpa and in the directions for the product it is explained that "impurities in the (new) water may [crystallize] out" and can be wiped up". In actuality it was a little more involved than that. I had to pick a bunch of crud out of the filter basket assembly a couple of times but no biggie. We're getting into the habit of showering and rinsing our bodies well before we enter the tub. We had a New Years Eve party and asked all our tubbing guests to shower, too, but a couple of folks sneaked in without bathing. Daylight on New Years Day revealed another tub ring comprised, no doubt, of body oils, hair and....ewwwwwwwwww. :o

The things they "forget" to tell you when you're in the shopping-for-a-tub process. It makes sense, though. After all, the dern thing IS a big bathtub.

I had the same problem with what looked like oil residue on the water surface. I tried shocking and everything and nothing worked until I used 6 ounces or Purezymes or Enzymes, and then 2 ounces of pure blue or clarifier, and this worked great. The filter will then be able to clear up the water.

Enzymes and a scum bug will work better on oils than a clarifier. Most spa chemical manufacturers have an enzyme product. Be sure to shock regularly.

• 16 years later...