J270 pump 2 short

rseeley

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the help in the past. I come back now with a short I cannot be clear on next steps.

I recently replaced the 50 amp GFCI as it no longer tripped and was likely 10-15 years old. 

After a few months I started getting more frequent trips while both pumps were running. 

I was doing more troubleshooting today, all the wires and tight and not rusted in the breaker box. 

When powering on, the pump 1 will run without issue, but as soon as pump 2 starts up it will throw the breaker. 

I think it is the original pump. 

With pump 2 unplugged, pump 1 goes through normal power cycle and doesn't trip. 

I tried swapping them and pump 2 does not start up but it also doesn't trip the breaker. 

No corrosion inside pump one connections, nor on circuit breaker from what I can tell. 

What more should I check for before blaming it on pump 2 and swapping it out?

10 hours ago, rseeley said:

I tried swapping them and pump 2 does not start up

Are they both 2 speed pumps? usually pump 2 is high speed only and wired for that. When you swapped them did you try and engage the high speed? 

A more reliable way would be to check for proper power coming off the board with the pump disconnected using a multi meter. If you get proper power off the board with the pump disconnected and it holds and then plug in the pump and it trips you likely have a bad pump. 

Pump two is a high speed with only one speed. I swapped and tried to engage the high speed pump two while connected to pump 1 and it would not start and didn't trip the breaker. 

I'll give that a test, not sure exactly what power reading I should get on the multi-meter. I'm also having a hard time seeing the specs of pump two but I'll dig around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Following up, how would I test this? Just want to do my due diligence before dropping $400 on a pump. (I've got a spare pump one in the garage from previous experience)

Just want to know what I should be checking with the J18 and J19 power connections.

Details from pump below

Hot tub pump 2

VOLTS 230
HZ 60
RPM 3450
Model T55SWBNC-99
HP 2.5
SF. AMPS 10.0
6500-341
1081 MOTOR
MFG# B10C FRAME 48Y INS CLASS F