Electrical Feed Through In Concrete Pad?

spa4me?

Hello everyone, I am need to this forum and i have a question about hooking a hot tub up. I do not have a good idea on how the 240 or 120 is connected to the tub. I don't recall seeing conduit running to a hot tub (never really looked). So my question is, How do you get the 240 or 120 to the hot tub when it is on a concrete pad? Do you create a holow feed through path in the concrete pad so you can run the electrial through the pad? And if so how did you determine where to locate the feed through?

Do you already have the concrete pad or are you pouring a new pad? If you already have the pad you would have to use a concrete saw and cut out a section to run the feed under the pad and the pad will be patched. It is sometimes (rarely) possible to bore a hole under a pad. If you have not pored the pad you will just dig a trench and run the conduit. If you do not want to cut and patch the concrete pad in some areas you can run rigid conduit that is properly strapped down. Local electrical code would need to be checked. Depending on your spa you may need a disconnect secondary box visible and accessable between 5 and 15 feet of the spa. So the conduit would run to the disconnect box and then your spa would be wired to the disconnect.

thanks for the info egbert. I do not have a concrete pad in place, but i will have one poured.

Find out from your dealer where the best spot is to locate the conduit. While pouring the slab insert the conduit, of course it will have to have a 90 deg. bend and remain flush with the concrete surface at one end and have enough exposed on the other end to allow for a conduit coupler. Then you can feed wires through the conduit and the hole you drilled in the bottom of the tub. But this truely is alot harder than using flex conduit from a juntion off the slab to the tub. Or even from the dissconect to the tub. And drilling through the side, down low. Alot of tubs have an access hole in the side or equipment compartment side.

I have just finished running conduit under my concrete pad and then having the pad poured. I ran the pvc conduit under the pad and in the precise area specified by the dealer, I also ran a string up through the conduit so I could pull the wire through later. I rushed getting the conduit under the pad before the concrete was poured and that way I could finish digging the trench and pulling the wire through after the concrete was complete. I did leave a string inside the conduit after pulling the wire through, hopefully I will never need it but if I do the string will be of great help.