Sticky Blue Stain at Waterline

RJRon

Changed water and replaced filters.  Water is at perfect balance per test strips and is crystal clear with very little to no foaming even when jets are on... but there is a sticky blue film around the entire water line that is very difficult to clean.  It gunks up the cleaning pads I use to the point where it just smears before I've cleaned a quarter of the spa.  I am using the following...

• Clorox Pool&Spa 33506CLX Pool Shock XtraBlue
  • Clorox Pool&Spa 12104CLX pH Up
  • 1" Inch Pool/Spa Chlorine Tablets
  • Spa/hot tub/Pool Chlorine Floating Tablet Dispenser

I've been using this method and chemicals for  quite a while without this problem previously. Any thoughts?

RJJon,

Was hoping someone with a better idea would jump in but since you have not had a reply here are my random thoughts on what it could be:

1. Are you using any other products, such as aromatherapy in your hot tub?  We ran into a problem with the use of these in the past.
  2. Could anything be breaking down in your tub, such as pillows, boosters, gaskets etc. that are blue in colour?

Other points:

Your shock product does appear to be dichlor, which is suitable for hot tubs except you will run into a problem with cyanuric acid (CYA) build up and you will have to change your water more often, especially with frequent use.

Your tablets are trichlor and are not recommended for hot tubs.  It also contains CYA but is very acidic and can damage hot tub components... which is why I am thinking item 2 above.  You should either stick to dichlor, go with the dichlor then bleach method (for much less frequent water changes) or go to bromine if you like the table/hands off approach.

Other than that, I don't have any other ideas. You may want to have your water tested by a pool place since test strips are not overly useful for diagnosing water chemistry problems.

Good luck.

I think some of the Clorox extra blue has copper in it that will cause the sticky waterline especially if your water source is high in metals. This is just my experience and I do like the extra blue but on some customers with well water it needs the high metal levels addressed before adding chlorine. As stated above tablets should be avoided in most hot tubs.