Artesian Spas

spa rookie

I have been debating over several brands and Artesian is one of them. The dealer who is currently carrying them recently merged with an east coast company to carry the Artesian line. I like the HS Grandee and the Sundance Maxxus (but want to get a hot tub that is both comfortable for me at 6'4" and my fiance, who is 5'3" and can seat at least 5-6 people - preferably 500+ gallons).

Can anyone tell me about the quality of the Artesian Piper Glen? I have tons of research and info. on the HS and Sundance and would really like to hear from those of you in the business and those of you who own an Artesian spa.

Thanks!

-Rookie

Also, I was told by a competiting dealer that Artesian has not mastered the ozonator process and that the process they employ in the water will damage the shell and potentially the cover when it is on. Also, he said the Artesian runs its ozonator all the time which may have a harmful effect on humans, since the effects of breathing O3 (ozone) are largely unknown. Did I get fed a line of B.S.??

-Rookie

Also, I was told by a competiting dealer that Artesian has not mastered the ozonator process and that the process they employ in the water will damage the shell and potentially the cover when it is on. Also, he said the Artesian runs its ozonator all the time which may have a harmful effect on humans, since the effects of breathing O3 (ozone) are largely unknown. Did I get fed a line of B.S.??

-Rookie

No one has mastered the ozonator process, alot think they have but there's not much involved in running it through a tube into the water through an injector. He is however correct in his statement regarding it's affect on humans, but in the levels we are talking here I bout you will breath more in your HT then you will during a thunder storm. Ozone works better when it is introduced to the water 24/7

It's scewed facts, or statements made to accomidate a sale. There's several different interpritations of many things.

Sorry I do not know much about Artesian, there are several happy owners on some of the other forums.

Hi Spa Rookie,

Some sales people will say just about anything to get a sale. The guy you spoke to, obviously knows absolutely nothing about ozone or Artesian Spas. Roger is correct, ozone in general can be damaging. Artesian's standard ozone installation is done just as Roger stated, it flows through a 3/8" tube, through a check valve and finally through a mazzei injector, which breaks down the ozone molecules to smaller safer levels, before it enters your spas water through a small ozone jet in the footwell. This standard method is used by most manufacturers. Now, Artesian like other great companies like Sundance and other companies have made strides at developing better ozone. Your can order optional the Artesian Air mixing Chamber, with a CD Ozonator. Because, CD (Corona Discharge) Ozonator is more powerful, they developed a triple loop air mixing chamber, that reduces the size of the ozone moecules, to make them more effective for cleaning your water and making it safer on humans and spa components. So, salesguy statement about Artesian is just false. Next he stated that the ozone can only run 24 hours a day, on a Artesian Spa. Like Roger stated, ozone is most effective when it operaters 24 hours a day. But again, your salesguy not knowing his facts, was wrong when he said it can only run 24 hours a day. The duration of ozone cycles on a Artesian spa can be changed, at the touch of the programming button on the topside control. So, you may can program the cycles to your liking. The factory setting is 24 hours a day, which is where we reccomend our customers to keep it, for best results. Sometimes with indoor installations, customers may choose to reduce the length of the cycle. The three brands you are looking at Hot Springs, Sundance and Artesian, are all top choices, wet testing will really help you decide which spa is really best for you and your family. The Piper Glen is a awesome spa. The quality and performance is fabulous. It is an exciting spa, with a individual pump for each major seat. Five Pumps and a sixth pump is the 24 hour circulation pump. With each person having their own pump and a patented direct flo controller, you can adjust the water and air flow in your own individual seat, without ever affecting the flow in someone else's seat. You can adjust the flow from 125 down to 65 gallons per minute in your seat. The price tag is a little higher for this model over other brands. Every person has different reasons for a buying a spa and has different therapy needs, so it may not be for everyone. Wet test all of the 3 companies you mentioned and decide. Goodluck and enjoy the hot water. Dave.

Thanks for the info. Dave. How about anyone else? Which one has the best filtration system? And - will the Piper Glen's ozonator stain my cover when it is on since a bit of ozone is reaching the air before it become O2 (oxygen).

HS really pumped up the fact they had a mixing chamber and that by the time in enters the spa where humans are - it is already converted to oxygen (02).

Please advise.

Does Artesian make a quality brand and stand behind their product?

Is the Artesian stereo truely marine grade? The Sundance stereo appered more durable..not just a car stereo head unit?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Dave. How about anyone else? Which one has the best filtration system? And - will the Piper Glen's ozonator stain my cover when it is on since a bit of ozone is reaching the air before it become O2 (oxygen).

HS really pumped up the fact they had a mixing chamber and that by the time in enters the spa where humans are - it is already converted to oxygen (02).

Please advise.

Does Artesian make a quality brand and stand behind their product?

Is the Artesian stereo truely marine grade? The Sundance stereo appered more durable..not just a car stereo head unit?

Thanks

They may have varying ways to filter but they all should do fine.

They all should use similar ozone. Though there may be some differences and one may mix better than another I think you'll see some fading over time on the bottom cover on all to some degree. I'm a big ozone fan and you'll be more concerend with the color of your water than the color of the bottom side of your cover.

They all may have marine grade stereos but I wouldn't get one at all. Those marine grade stereos may sound fine in the showroom but there is a reason they only come with 1 year warrantees; they just don't hold up well and anyone who tells you otherwise is just telling you what you want to hear. My advice would be to skip that option. If the Sundance stereo appeared more durable it's because they make it look more durable but I doubt it's any better than the others out there.

Hey SpaTech - I was thinking of having my spa sunk 1/2 into the ground and then above ground the other half and building a 3-sided wall around it to give it a more "planned for" appearance in the yard.

I here that spa repairmen have to be able to access 3 sides of the artesian due to the fact that each motor (6 total) is placed by its respective seat in the Piper Glen...can you verify or deny this claim that you would need access to 3-sides of the tub?

Thanks!

Hey SpaTech - I was thinking of having my spa sunk 1/2 into the ground and then above ground the other half and building a 3-sided wall around it to give it a more "planned for" appearance in the yard.

I here that spa repairmen have to be able to access 3 sides of the artesian due to the fact that each motor (6 total) is placed by its respective seat in the Piper Glen...can you verify or deny this claim that you would need access to 3-sides of the tub?

Thanks!

On most spas you only need acces to the front of the spa. I do believe you need access to 3 sides on the Artesian but you need to confirm that further.

I don't like the fully sunken in idea for spa but I do like the partial. what nice is to set it in so the seat is even with the outside ground. This also allow you to get a cover lifter on and you definitely want one of those IMO.

On most spas you only need acces to the front of the spa. I do believe you need access to 3 sides on the Artesian but you need to confirm that further.

I don't like the fully sunken in idea for spa but I do like the partial. what nice is to set it in so the seat is even with the outside ground. This also allow you to get a cover lifter on and you definitely want one of those IMO.

I'm with ST on this one a couple ways. I have been using Ozone for 4 years and my original cover needs to be replaced, however it needs to be replaced for a couple of reasons, 1. Its 4 years old and has reached it's life expectancy, need I say more. It is stained because of Ozone but it needs to be replaced because it has reached it's life expectancy not because it's stained.

And from experience I can tell you that partial sinking is better than a full sunk in look, As asteticly pleasing as it is to have a tub sunk into a deck or the ground, it is just more comfortable to enter and exit if it is just the right height to step over the side and slip down into a seat. I do like my sunk in look and it has some good points but I can't mount a cover lifter and it is not quite as comfortable to enter and exit. But the drinks are at the right height for easy access :) When you do a partial sunk in look access to all sides is important and needs to be closely considered. It's actualy more difficult than a full sunk in look as you can crawl under any decks built around a tub above ground. Building a sunk in, in the ground look is very coslty as a vault with drainage needs to be though about. For that partial look removable panels (above ground) or bridging if it's in the ground needs to be planned to give room for work if the need arises..Good luck

Thanks!

wow 6 pumps huh? thats a lot. I would recomend leaveing access to all four sides of your spa in this case.

most manufacturers have disclaimers in warranty about accessability, i.e. will get charged for lack of, or you may have to drain spa to move it out and repair it. or double trip charges.

I have been debating over several brands and Artesian is one of them. The dealer who is currently carrying them recently merged with an east coast company to carry the Artesian line. I like the HS Grandee and the Sundance Maxxus (but want to get a hot tub that is both comfortable for me at 6'4" and my fiance, who is 5'3" and can seat at least 5-6 people - preferably 500+ gallons).

Can anyone tell me about the quality of the Artesian Piper Glen? I have tons of research and info. on the HS and Sundance and would really like to hear from those of you in the business and those of you who own an Artesian spa.

Thanks!

-Rookie

I am still trying to figure out howArtesian and Hot Spring got any sort of NRTL listing, because they don't have enough suction returns to the jet pumps. If the spa has 5 pumps, that means there needs to be 10 suction inlets going back to the pumps. Two each.

Here is the standard for Portable Spas, concerning this design issue:

Under Article VIII of the ANSI/NSPI American National Standard for Portable spas also states:

Quoted:

8.0 RETURN INLETS AND SUCTION OUTLETS

8.2.2 A minimum of two (2) suction outlets shall be provided for each pump and the suction outlet system, separated by a minimum of three feet (3) [91.44 cm] or located on two (2) planes; i.e., one (1) on the bottom and one (1) on the vertical wall, or two (2) separate vertical walls. These suction outlets shall be plumbed such that the water is drawn through them simultaneously through a common line to the pump.

Unquote.

So Artesian is a quality brand with good components and a solid financial backing?

The reality is everyone has their favorites but sometimes what's more importanat is to ask what spas the profesionals here specifically do NOT recommend. If you're still looking at Artiesian, Hot Springs and D1 I doubt you'll find them on anyone's negative list (the reputable people anyway).

So Artesian is a quality brand with good components and a solid financial backing?

What is the best way to put this:

All spa companies are a couple of steps away from bankruptcy, especially since it is a "luxury" item that has extreme ups and downs in sales as the economy changes. There were nearly 40 brands of spas that are no more after the Sept 11 wake and the depression in the economy with thousands upon thousands of jobs lost.

The companies who have international sales, or have unique products that other companies can't produce, are the ones that will have a better chance in the next wave of economic down-turn.

Many spa companies have changed hands for economic reasons and really are not the same companies that they once were. Once a spa becomes a comodity it is no longer something of high value, but is basically a sales presentation.

The only solution to this is for the consumers to get an education on spas. Do a lot of research and don't fall for sales pitches, but do find out what it is that you are about to buy.

From my work in spa repair, the spas that use standard parts are better values for spa owners. That way you can find the parts when the company is out of business, and you can get competitive prices on the parts.

The word "exclusive" is a big negative in the spa industry, becasue all it means is you pay and pay.

Spa Rookie,

With your 6'4" height and your fiancee at only 5'3", again, you will need to wet test or atleast sit in dry tubs to be sure you fit well, especially acrossed the shoulders, leg room and neck jets. For your fiancee, she does not want to be under water, so there has to be some seats for her too. Another model to wet test from Artesian is the Gold Series Emerald, a lot of petite women say they can lock their feet on the center foot dome, which prevents them from floating away from the seat and jets. And tall guys are happy too, with large wide comfortable seating and plenty of openess to stretch out. To answer your question about acces, the Piper Glenn model will require access to three sides, the front and 2 sides. The Gold Series line will require access to 2 sides. As a service tech, I am never a huge fan of dropping a spa in a deck or floor, but when people insist on doing it, we try to guide them in the right direction, and instruct their builder on providing access or removable panels for the tech to properly service the spa. If the access is not there, the spa can not be repaired. In some of our woodsy areas, dropping a spa in a deck or underground does in many cases present problems with all of the critters like chipmunks, squirrels and others eating control wires and nesting for the winter. Bugs and ants are always a problem. Snakes love to sneak into a warm place too. In general, moisture can be a problem too. If dropping the spa in, be sure to order a resin cabinet and not wood. Goodluck. Dave.

Dave - we were only going to sink it half-way. I checked out the Dimension One today...it was okay...I wasn't overly impressed but the sales guy was nice (which won't make me part with $9,000 - however).

He said Artesian was a lesser brand...but I don't think so...I really like them and would be inclined to pick that one up. I would however allow for removable panels on the sides so the tech could access the outer shell of the spa.

HS Grandee, Artesian Piper Glen, Sundance Optima - given my fiance and my situation - anyone want to weigh in with a vote? Assume dollars are equal.

Thanks!

HS Grandee, Artesian Piper Glen, Sundance Optima - given my fiance and my situation - anyone want to weigh in with a vote? Assume dollars are equal.

Thanks!

You'll find people with opinions on each (whether they own one, sell one or just know the products) but I have an opinion and it is THE answer as far as I'm concerned. Those are from three good spa makers so I think you should go wet test all 3 and buy the one that fits/feels best to you both (assuming all 3 dealers are AOK).

Spa Rookie,

It's good to hear you will have access and are only dropping it in halfway. Like Spa Tech said, get the bathing suits on and wet test all three brands. They are all equally great spas. So go for the plunge and let your neck, shoulders, back and legs decide which feels best for you and your finance. Being comfortable with your dealer and his ability to serivce you for the length of the 5 Year Warranty, is very important also.

Dave.

What is the best way to put this:

All spa companies are a couple of steps away from bankruptcy, especially since it is a "luxury" item that has extreme ups and downs in sales as the economy changes. There were nearly 40 brands of spas that are no more after the Sept 11 wake and the depression in the economy with thousands upon thousands of jobs lost.

The companies who have international sales, or have unique products that other companies can't produce, are the ones that will have a better chance in the next wave of economic down-turn.

Many spa companies have changed hands for economic reasons and really are not the same companies that they once were. Once a spa becomes a comodity it is no longer something of high value, but is basically a sales presentation.

The only solution to this is for the consumers to get an education on spas. Do a lot of research and don't fall for sales pitches, but do find out what it is that you are about to buy.

From my work in spa repair, the spas that use standard parts are better values for spa owners. That way you can find the parts when the company is out of business, and you can get competitive prices on the parts.

The word "exclusive" is a big negative in the spa industry, becasue all it means is you pay and pay.

SHUT UP