Ice In Tub

steross

I bought a Hot Springs Envoy spa a few months ago. As the weather got colder, I noticed the initial water to come out when the jets or water feature when started was very cold. I told this to my salesperson who said "You might have a circulation pump out.” A day later a repairman came, unfortunately right after we just used the spa. I told him the problem since I could not show him. He said it was just water in the lines and was normal. I asked him if it could get cold enough to freeze in the winter and he said no because they are too well insulated.

Today, I had the spa turned down to 80 degrees because we had just been on vacation. We have had a bitter cold snap and the temp last night was -6 F. When I started the water feature slushy ice came out. So, is there a problem with the spa as I think or am I just not supposed to turn it down that low if it is to be cold outside? Thanks.

steross

I bought a Hot Springs Envoy spa a few months ago. As the weather got colder, I noticed the initial water to come out when the jets or water feature when started was very cold. I told this to my salesperson who said "You might have a circulation pump out.” A day later a repairman came, unfortunately right after we just used the spa. I told him the problem since I could not show him. He said it was just water in the lines and was normal. I asked him if it could get cold enough to freeze in the winter and he said no because they are too well insulated.

Today, I had the spa turned down to 80 degrees because we had just been on vacation. We have had a bitter cold snap and the temp last night was -6 F. When I started the water feature slushy ice came out. So, is there a problem with the spa as I think or am I just not supposed to turn it down that low if it is to be cold outside? Thanks.

steross

He is right about the initial water being cold. Turn on the pumps as you're getting in and it'll be warm by the time you take your seat.

If you go away you can turn your temp down a little but I wouldn't turn it down to 80º. I wouldn't turn it down at all to be honest but if you feel the need turn it down to 92 or 95º but not 80º. BTW, to get an idea of how well it's insulated try this. When you close the cover and actual the temp is 102º, turn the spa temp down to 92º. Go to bed and check the next morning to see the temp. I suspect it'll still be above 92º. Keep it set at that and see how long it really takes to fully drop to the 92º setpoint. This'll give you an idea of how well your spa is insulated.

steross

Why do I feel lke I am being set up. I think you have a problem...call your dealer they will take care of you because you have a reputable dealer behind your purchase. There are Thousands of HS owners here in Duluth Minnesota and across the country that do not complain of this problem.

steross

this does feel like a set up, a lot of manufacturers have a purge cycle where all pums kick on once or twice a day. this helps to remedy this problem

steross

One of the things we always tell customers is to never turn the temperature down on a hot tub in a frigid cold climate, for any reason. The heat from the water in the vessel is your only source of heat, and if the power goes off, that heat is what can keep a spa from multiple servere (expensive) freeze damage. Most spas if the power goes of the equipment will freeze much quicker if the temperature is turned down.

This problem is impossible to have in a thermally closed spa that is operating normally.

The area of the top lip of most spas has the least amount of insulation, and the distance between the outer world and the pipes is very short. I strongly suggest that you keep the temperature up and a tight seal on the cover. The heat from the water should be enough to keep things from icing.

We have been having severe cold here in Broomfield, Co, below zero for a few nights. There is a "heat wave" today above 32 degrees for a while!

The area of the top lip of most spas has the least amount of insulation, and the distance between the outer world and the pipes is very short. I strongly suggest that you keep the temperature up and a tight seal on the cover.

On this we agree. I know from your website that one of your customers posted that he was only seeing his cabinet temp at about 84º with teh pumps on which he found to be due to a lot of heat loss at the bartop. That just shows how easily a poorly insulated spa can loose heat in colder weather as I'd hate to see how low his cabinet temp will dip when the pump isn't on for filtering.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will not turn the spa down in the future. When I left for vacation it was sunny and 50F. I returned to frozen tundra.

Can someone explain why a couple of posts mentioned this being a "set up"? I do not know what that means. Does this mean that people think that I am underhandedly trying to bag on HS spas? If so, this is not true. This is my second HS. I have never had a problem before. Sounds like I probably do not have a problem now other than my own stupidity.

steross

Can someone explain why a couple of posts mentioned this being a "set up"? I do not know what that means. Does this mean that people think that I am underhandedly trying to bag on HS spas? If so, this is not true. This is my second HS. I have never had a problem before. Sounds like I probably do not have a problem now other than my own stupidity.

steross

The story is simple. Jim has a long past and he was caught one time posting questions as a regular spa owner about Hot Springs and then logging on as a supposed Hot Springs rep and giving lame answers in an attempt to discredit Hot Springs. He was caught by the moderator and banned from that site (he's disputes it like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar yet still claiming innocence but it's a fact). There are MANY other cases of suspicious questions where Jim follows shortly after with his rhetoric. Someone wondered whether this was a similar case but I certainly see it as legit so don't take it personally (Jim should but then again, he created the suspicion by his actions).