2015 Hot Springs Grandee - No Power Issue

Six Pack Bee

Hello guys my first post here and I am needing your help.

I have a 2015 Hot Springs Grandee and the other day it just shut itself off.

I was hoping that someone may be able to walk me through a troubleshooting process to get me to root of my problem.

So far I have checked all the breakers, tried resetting them, took the side panel off, took the cover off the control panel. There are no lights on in there. The small fuse looks fine. 

What steps would you take next?

I realize there was a very similar question asked and that is what led me to this Forum. It said here not to piggyback on someone else's thread so here I am.

Thank you in advance,

Dave

You will need a multi meter to troubleshoot effectively. Do you have one and knowledge of how to use it? First test for incoming power from the GFCI where it connects to the Terminal block on the heater relay circuit board. Should have 2 different locations for incoming power. A 20 amp line and a 30 amp line. Should test 240V on each. If you have correct 240V at the terminal block next test for 240V at the red, black and white wires just above and to the right of the terminal block, White to Black - 120V. White to red = 120V. Red to black 240V to see if power flow is going through the heater relay board and over to the main board. Follow the power. Post photos of the circuit board. At some point you may want to remove the heater relay board and have a look on the back for darkened or burnt areas. Let us know results.

First I appreciate your time. Its a rainy day here in Brantford. I more of a car guy than I am an electrician.

I do have a multi meter.

I have posted up a picture of my circuit board as requested. The one thing that jumps out to me is that the one ground post doesn't have anything attached to it on the relay circuit board.

White to Black - 120V.

White to red = 120V.

Red to black 237V

These reading are on the Relay Board.

I took the relay board off to check the backside and there is zero evidence of anything blown out. 

That is where I am at this moment.

I haven't checked the voltage of the other wires.56a.thumb.jpg.9f34208c045ae49a1d0d0e12279f14d9.jpg

The other thing whole mentioning is that there were a family of mice leaving in the hot tub. I have no idea how they squeezed in. I had a look around at the wiring and I don't see any damage but is there a particular wire on the outside of the control panel that could cause this?

I had also previously replaced the no fault heater and had to make a jump wire....but everything was functioning well for months.

Dave    

How do I check if this part failed? And what do you need to do to replace it? If I am jumping too far ahead please let me know. At some point I have to consider draining the tub. Weather has been rather mild but I have put a space heater in there so hopefully nothing freezes. 

Power Supply 78841

https://backyardplus.com/parts/78841-power-supply-replacement-eagle-control-box-60w/ 

Dave

7 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Should test 240V on each.

Some Watkins tubs have 120v on the 20 amp circuit.

13 hours ago, Six Pack Bee said:

small fuse looks fine. 

Test it, looks can be deceiving.

3 hours ago, Six Pack Bee said:

family of mice leaving in the hot tub.

Rodent damage can be costly. Little buggers chew on wires and pipes, dig out burrows in foam, including restrooms I might add, and electrocute themselves on components. Check THOROUGHLY for chewed wires and such as a shorted wire could be the cause of power supply damage.

Check incoming power wires at the terminal block for loose connections.

It sounds like the power supply, but I'm not sure how to test that one exactly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Some Watkins tubs have 120v on the 20 amp circuit.

Test it, looks can be deceiving.

Rodent damage can be costly. Little buggers chew on wires and pipes, dig out burrows in foam, including restrooms I might add, and electrocute themselves on components. Check THOROUGHLY for chewed wires and such as a shorted wire could be the cause of power supply damage.

Check incoming power wires at the terminal block for loose connections.

It sounds like the power supply, but I'm not sure how to test that one exactly.

I don`t actually see anything that is chewed. I have followed each line from the control box going to each component. 

Dave

• Like 1

How you do the repair is up to you. I have never had this issue with one of these boards, and the power supply was not independent on the older ones so it would have been a new board in that case. I don't specifically know how to test this power supply, but it's the most likely culprit, and at that price a pretty cheap gamble in any case. You couldn't get me in your driveway for that, much less get me to pick up my tools. 🙂

• Like 1

I appreciate your help guys. I have found soo far that Pioneer Pools is useless for parts. They just say they could order them with no timeline to when they might come. Here's a thought call the supplier and see if they are in stock.  Not much for the customer service.

I think I may just try and order one of those Power Supply and see if that wakes up the board. At worst I will be out $100 or so.

Dave

• 5 months later...

I thought I would update this as I have my Hot Tub up and running again.

I ended up having to replace the Control Panel as an assembly as the Power Supply wasn't able to be changed out by itself. I ordered it from Backyard Plus in the USA and had to get it shipped to a buddies place in Buffalo as they only use UPS for shipping. That sucks but their service overall was top notch. Highly recommended as I did use their tech support and they were all very knowledgeable.

Thanks for all the help,

Dave 

• Like 2