Making A Decision On Which One To Buy

tommyg

So, my wife and I are trying to find the perfect spa for us, and not having the easiest time. I think the closest we are finding right now is the Sundance Altamar. We haven't wet tested it yet, but will, along with a few others. We admittedly haven't been focusing too much on construction stuff, b/c every dealer seems to have a different story as to why their product is so far superior. It gets pretty darn confusing. As such, we're really trying to focus on just making sure we buy one with a good warranty. Here are my thoughts on what we've seen and liked/disliked. I'm certainly interested in thoughts and feedback and other options we may be missing:

Sundance Altamar: as I said this one seems to have the best mix of what we're looking for. Nice lounge seat, cool-down seat, nicely laid out controls. I like the stereo better on the Certa (w/o the pop-up speakers and floating remote), but it's unfortunately not an option here (though it does have integrated iPod which is nice). Like I said, no wet-test yet, so we'll see. One thing that I think is going to be a must for us (that this model has) is a second armrest for the lounge chair. Maybe this is something that won't be a big deal, but it seems really odd to me that so many of the lounge chairs only have one armrest. With the focus on muscle relaxation, I would think this would strain the neck muscles on your left side. am i wrong here?

Cal Spas A726L: we made the mistake of seeing this one first. I say mistake b/c it set our pricing expectations much lower than everything we've seen since. It was the first we saw, so we had nothing to compare it to, but I liked it. Then I came here and read complaints about CalSpas and figured it's likely best to stay away. They have a ton of different models, but this was the only 7' x 7' model they had, and the guy said it was far and away the one he sells the most. It was $6,500 plus $225 delivery, $500 off if we bought within a week. Nice price, but worried about quality.

Caldera Spas Tahitiaan: we really liked this one, and Caldera seems to have a really good name. Downsides...first, no stereo option? WTH? Who sells a spa w/o a stereo option? Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is an important one for us, as I want the ability to listen to some tunes while I'm soaking. Nothing fancy, just easy and accessible. Other downside...no secon armrest on the lounge chair.

Hotsprings Vista: this is a little bigger than the others we're looking at, but I really liked the layout. It's the only one we (or I, as my wife's pregnant) wet-tested. I'm 6 foot, 180 lbs, and I felt like I was getting blown out of each seat I sat in. Is this normal? If so, give me less jets. I asked the salesman to turn it down, and fiddled with the seat-side controllers, but the effect was minimal. I had a hard time staying in my seat. Especially in the lounger. I also didn't like the control panel location or looks.

Masterspa LS700: beautiful spa. dealer said $11.8k plus tax with stereo. buh-bye

Arctic: no dealer within 50 miles (SF bay area)

Marquis: my wife didn't like any of them. might have had something to do with the fact that the showroom was a mess and the tubs were dirty. Doesn't say much for the dealer.

Jacuzzi: neither of us really liked. They seemed pretty blah, and the filter location on the models we sat in seemed very obtrusive.

Thoughts? Feedbacks? Recommendations? Thanks!

So, my wife and I are trying to find the perfect spa for us, and not having the easiest time. I think the closest we are finding right now is the Sundance Altamar. We haven't wet tested it yet, but will, along with a few others. We admittedly haven't been focusing too much on construction stuff, b/c every dealer seems to have a different story as to why their product is so far superior. It gets pretty darn confusing. As such, we're really trying to focus on just making sure we buy one with a good warranty. Here are my thoughts on what we've seen and liked/disliked. I'm certainly interested in thoughts and feedback and other options we may be missing:

Sundance Altamar: as I said this one seems to have the best mix of what we're looking for. Nice lounge seat, cool-down seat, nicely laid out controls. I like the stereo better on the Certa (w/o the pop-up speakers and floating remote), but it's unfortunately not an option here (though it does have integrated iPod which is nice). Like I said, no wet-test yet, so we'll see. One thing that I think is going to be a must for us (that this model has) is a second armrest for the lounge chair. Maybe this is something that won't be a big deal, but it seems really odd to me that so many of the lounge chairs only have one armrest. With the focus on muscle relaxation, I would think this would strain the neck muscles on your left side. am i wrong here?

Cal Spas A726L: we made the mistake of seeing this one first. I say mistake b/c it set our pricing expectations much lower than everything we've seen since. It was the first we saw, so we had nothing to compare it to, but I liked it. Then I came here and read complaints about CalSpas and figured it's likely best to stay away. They have a ton of different models, but this was the only 7' x 7' model they had, and the guy said it was far and away the one he sells the most. It was $6,500 plus $225 delivery, $500 off if we bought within a week. Nice price, but worried about quality.

Caldera Spas Tahitiaan: we really liked this one, and Caldera seems to have a really good name. Downsides...first, no stereo option? WTH? Who sells a spa w/o a stereo option? Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is an important one for us, as I want the ability to listen to some tunes while I'm soaking. Nothing fancy, just easy and accessible. Other downside...no secon armrest on the lounge chair.

Hotsprings Vista: this is a little bigger than the others we're looking at, but I really liked the layout. It's the only one we (or I, as my wife's pregnant) wet-tested. I'm 6 foot, 180 lbs, and I felt like I was getting blown out of each seat I sat in. Is this normal? If so, give me less jets. I asked the salesman to turn it down, and fiddled with the seat-side controllers, but the effect was minimal. I had a hard time staying in my seat. Especially in the lounger. I also didn't like the control panel location or looks.

Masterspa LS700: beautiful spa. dealer said $11.8k plus tax with stereo. buh-bye

Arctic: no dealer within 50 miles (SF bay area)

Marquis: my wife didn't like any of them. might have had something to do with the fact that the showroom was a mess and the tubs were dirty. Doesn't say much for the dealer.

Jacuzzi: neither of us really liked. They seemed pretty blah, and the filter location on the models we sat in seemed very obtrusive.

Thoughts? Feedbacks? Recommendations? Thanks!

All's I can say is you are on the right track, look at and sit in wet or dry as many as you can. Then narrow your choices down a bit more, and see if wet testing is possible.

I think your putting way to much emphasis on a stereo when they are prone to problems they sound mediocre at best and you can get one heck of alot more music from a portable that will last longer and cost less. Or outdoor speakers and a remote for your in house stereo. The built in ones are overpriced. Find this out for yourself, ask for the price with and without on the same model and you will see for 1000-1500 bucks you can get alot of portable or home stereo options that will sound better, get used more and last longer.

I agree with the stereo aspect. Having vast experience of working with stereos on spas, I have found that they are more often a headache than anything else. Save the money on a stereo and buy a nice outdoor system from Bose.

Now with the spa.....I suggest trying out a Hot Spring Vanguard. It is lower in price than those mentioned above, and yet provides impressive features. Also, if you are in the San Francisco Bay area, the dealer there has about 10 or so wet spas for you to test. I grew up with that company, I know the owner, and you cannot go wrong with them.

The Truth

Thanks for the insight, guys. I probably am placing too much emphasis on the stereo, just think it would be nice to have it right there and easily accessible. That being said, i'm not going to let it be a deal killer.

Does anybody have thoughts on the second armrest for the lounge chair? Am I making too big a deal out of it? It just seems like it would really get bothersome...

Thanks for the insight, guys. I probably am placing too much emphasis on the stereo, just think it would be nice to have it right there and easily accessible. That being said, i'm not going to let it be a deal killer.

Does anybody have thoughts on the second armrest for the lounge chair? Am I making too big a deal out of it? It just seems like it would really get bothersome...

I'm a consumer just like you. Forget the stereo. the missing arm rest will bother you till you sell it. wet test all the tubs you are interested in. if theres no wet theres no sale.