Issue with Coleman Maax Spa Pump

SWilliams

I just drained, cleaned, and refilled my Coleman Maax spa. It was working fine for a while, then the GFCI tripped. I unplugged both of the pumps from the Balboa pack and the breaker didn't trip. I plugged in pump 2 and everything was fine. But when I plugged in pump 1 it tripped. I switched the inputs and the same thing happened, where it tripped when pump 1 was plugged in. I also plugged pump 1 into the blower plug and it worked! But sounded terrible and was probably not good for the pump.

Am I missing something here? It looks like the pump works, but the GFCI is tripping whenever I plug pump 1 into any of the three pump inputs. Pump 2 works fine and doesn't trip the GFCI when it's plugged into any of the three inputs. Slightly confused??

Post pics of circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area.

On 10/28/2022 at 8:20 AM, cranbiz said:

Definitely appears to be the pump.

Depends on the control system and equipment. If pump 1 water flow drives the heater and safety devices it would still only turn on the heater (and ozone if present) when pump 1 is running, regardless of where it's plugged in. You have not confirmed it is the pump until you disconnect the heater and ozone. And even if it holds with those disconnected it still could be the breaker. The fact that it did not trip when plugged in to the blower plug (probably wired at a different voltage which failed to activate a safety device, and caused the loud noise) would indicate it is not the pump. I'd guess faulty breaker, loose wire, or ozone if it's using balboa controls as I suspect. Add the heater to the list if not.

• Like 1