Gecko pack failure - is my diagnosis correct?

bha

2014 Dynasty spa

Gecko in.ye-5 with K-19 keypad (original to spa)

GFCI tripped in spring twice.  GFCI was 10 years old so replaced it.  Tripped once again.  Then worked perfectly without tripping for 7 months.

Now it tripped and won't turn back on.  Did once for 1 second, but otherwise just trips right away when turned on.  Tried over the last 24 hours and same thing.  Thought the rainy day yesterday was part of the issue but it is dry and sunny today and still won't even power up for 1/10th of a second.

Troubleshooting:

-Disconnected all pumps and heater from spa pack, still trips

-Checked all wiring, looks good

-Disconnected everything else on the spa pack (ozonator, light, topside, etc, etc), still trips

-Disconnected power wiring at spa pack, GFCI no longer trips (stayed on for 2+ hours)

I'm now 99.9% sure the spa pack is the issue and am ready to replace.  Is my diagnosis correct?  If the spa pack trips the GFCI with nothing connected to it, YET if I disconnect the pack and the GFCI no longer trips... that MUST mean it is the spa pack that has failed right?

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Now a day later I went to try your suggestions and found something new… turned on the GFCI and this time it didn’t trip at all — however, the spa keypad is dead and there is no action from the spa (no startup sequence of blower or pumps running, even after 5 mins).  Spa is completely dead.

I think I have now confirmed my diagnosis of spa pack being flaky/dead, correct?  The only thing left is if the spa is getting no power at all, but the GFCI is powering up properly and staying on.. so I think we can rule out that possibility?

I suspect the spa pack was dying 2 days ago and is now dead…

On 10/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, bha said:

YET if I disconnect the pack and the GFCI no longer trips... that MUST mean it is the spa pack that has failed right?

No.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:37 PM, bha said:

suspect the spa pack was dying 2 days ago and is now dead…

A "spa pack", while sold as such, is not a part, but a box of parts, often all soldered to a circuit board, but still capable of being fixed in many cases. Also, a circuit board issue rarely trips a breaker. In fact, I can't say that I've ever seen it happen in 26 years in this business that didn't involve a wet board.

On 10/28/2022 at 3:37 PM, bha said:

The only thing left is if the spa is getting no power at all, but the GFCI is powering up properly and staying on.. so I think we can rule out that possibility?

Did you test it with a voltmeter, or by "powering up" do you mean "not tripping"?

I'm thinking breaker for both issues.

NEW INFORMATION!

Thanks for the info guys . So I can now get the pump to run but I think I found the problem!

Pump 1 has a motor and a wet end.. and the motor had water in it!  Looked through the vent holes and you could see a few tablespoons or more of water sitting in the bottom.  The lowest vent hole on the end of the motor had a rust stain like water had been dripping out of the motor.

Took my leaf blower and hit the vent hole of the motor for 10 seconds to blow out the motor.  Figured it would have to air dry but everything started right up!  Before doing this I tried turning on the breaker a few times and it tripped as soon as the pump started running (now we know why….)

I have everything running in hopes it will heat up in the spa cabinet and have airflow, causing the motor to fully dry out and not corrode.

Any ideas how the water is getting in the motor itself?  I didn’t think the wet end seal could leak water into the motor (I thought it just sprayed around) but maybe I’m wrong.. will check tomorrow after it has run a bit.

There are a few hoses above the pump (for jets in the area) but they’re all dry right now.  Can’t feel any major cracks but will look for drips once it has run a while.

If I can solve how water is getting into the motor, everything is fixed!

Motor and wet end were purchased in one piece back in March and installed.  So they are in great ‘almost new’ condition.  Gecko XP2e pump & wet end.

59 minutes ago, bha said:

I didn’t think the wet end seal could leak water into the motor (I thought it just sprayed around)

If a seal is leaking the motor has an impeller of it's own close to the front of the motor to draw air in to cool the motor. It  can also draw in water if there is a leaking seal.. especially in high speed.