Vita Spa DX series Electrical issues

Drschmidt

Yes its a 25 year old spa and I have been keeping it up for that time replacing motors, timers, switches. However This is what I am having trouble understanding

My contactors started to chatter then hot tub would kick out the reset button.

I did replace the pressure switch, and got that adjusted. The issue is with power on, both contactors wont engage by them selves. I can manually push them in and they will hold. With them both engaged the pumps run, Timer runs,  However when I adjust the thermostat down I hear and see the indicator light shut off but the heater contactor does not release,  and when I turn the timer to off to the motors, the heater contactor stays engaged, heats up the water and trips the high temp reset button.

It seems the thermostat does not shut off  the heater. I just want to confirm that is the issue. and how to fix it.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this Vita spa DX series,

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks Duane

940668846_20221027_0848321.jpg

284665320_20221027_0848221.jpg

Oh My,

Please  not force a contactor manually. You cause really bad issues.

Replace both the single and double pole contactors. 

https://www.myspapartsstore.com/parts/general-spa-parts-catalog/spa-electrical-parts/spa-contactors/double-pole-contactor-240v-coil-50-amp

https://www.myspapartsstore.com/parts/general-spa-parts-catalog/spa-electrical-parts/spa-contactors/single-pole-contactor-230-vac-coil-30-amp-rated

Both of those links were the first to come up in a search.

I don't care where you end up getting them.

The "Coil" is 220 volt, not 110 volt. If you plop a 110 v coil contactor in there, it will just smoke a little and do nothing.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, Drschmidt said:

seems the thermostat does not shut off  the heater. I just want to confirm that is the issue. and how to fix it.

Test voltage across the coil (the small spade terminals on the sides). If you have voltage it should close, if not it should open. If it does not, replace the contactor (which you need to do anyway from your description). If the coil is not getting voltage when it should, test control and safety devices (thermostat, pressure switch, etc). You could have had chattering caused by a failing thermostat or pressure switch, or even a dirty filter depending on plumbing, that damaged your contactor leading to the other issues you describe. Replace the contactors, but don't stop checking things there or you may end up right back here were you started if you're just treating symptoms and not finding the cause.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, Drschmidt said:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this Vita spa DX series,

Look for a plastic bag stuck on the back of the pack. Alot of old packs did that, if they had one at all. 

Another option is to upgrade your controls. I'm not sure how much longer you want to keep this tub going, but I always suggest my customers consider a replacement pack before sinking money into an old system like this. Some of those old parts can be pretty expensive, and new systems can be pretty cheap. For the long-term, a new digital control system with all the current safety specs might be a better investment. Should be a fairly easy swap in that tub. Just a thought.🤔

• Like 1