Heater only works while jets are running

Nata_l_ee

I have a Tiger River Bengal M model. Today I went to drain the hot tub to clean & refill. I noticed when I took the cover off the water was cool. I figured maybe the breaker tripped & just continued to drain, clean, & refill. When I turned the breaker back on & set the degree I heard clicking & then a blinking red light. 
We replaced the heater several years ago & I remember the blinking light being a warning for that but I thought let’s reset the breaker again & I turned the jets on they work then turned them off, again it blinks red & turns off.I waited 30 min turned it back on again & this time leaving the jets on. After about an hour the water isn’t as cold as when I put it in so I climbed in & out my foot over where the heat comes out & it’s working. What would be wrong with it if it only works while the jets are on?