Fuse keeps blowing on Pump

Desa

Hi,

I have a 20A fuse that keeps blowing intermittently when Pump 2 activates. Usually 2nd or 3rd time.  Been through 5 fuses now trying to troubleshoot.  Power on board all tests good. Circ pump runs thru same fuse 24hr.BFBD3BD1-6AC6-4BC4-A347-A6F2B32C8648.thumb.jpeg.af3ac079d7cec1011755a215ff961cd9.jpeg

Old Master Spa Twilight.  Replaced circuit board and heater element in spring with Balboa VS501.  New topside.  Wet end on Pump 2 new two years ago.

I don’t know how to troubleshoot the pump itself.  Question is do I straight replace the pump or is there somewhere to take pump to be inspected/fixed?  I’m in Saskatoon, Sk.

We’ve got a week of +20 temps so perfect time to drain tub and get this pump fixes before colder weather!

Thank you!!!

On 9/27/2022 at 6:40 PM, RDspaguy said:

What's the amp draw on pump2?, Circ pump? What type fuse (sc, mda, etc)? Has it worked at all since you put in the controls?

Amp draw on Pump2 is 12 and the little circ pump should only be 1/2 an amp (230v, 115w).  I don’t know how to test actual draw.  Worked well for a month after new board/control then started blowing the fuse.  Initially thought it was the circ pump, but it only goes on pump2 startup.

Fuse is a 326 20A which google tells me is a time delay slow blow…

Sorry. You'd need a multimeter with an amp clamp (harbor freight $20 or so) to measure actual amp draw. Internal motor components can fail causing an increase in amp draw on the circuit, so knowing actual amp draw is crucial. It's most likely the pump2 motor in on way or another.

Loose fuse holders or wire connections can also cause fuses to blow. 

• Like 2