Jacuzzi J-470 IX jet leak

Brad204

Hello all, I replied to another thread about this topic but figured I should start my own. 

I bought a used 2011 J470 with known leaks.  When I gently pour water down the center IX jet from a glass I get water leaking out of the hose which the LED ribbon cable is ran through.  It will take me a few days to flip this up and get at the underside.  Given where the water comes out, should I go ahead and order the new jet now while I work on getting the tub upright?  OR is there a chance this is fixable without the new jet?  I heard repair with silicone from the top side is possible sometimes but I fault appears to be internal in the jet?  I assume trying to plug up that hose with silicone will do nothing and the water will then just be forced out elsewhere, is that correct?  Also I see there are 2 part numbers for this jet, the old one with the ribbon cable (as mine is) and a replacement jet (with a round DIN connector).  Is the newer style better and I should make sure to get that and order the DIN to ribbon cable adaptor with it, or should I order the original with the ribbon cable?  Is there anything else I should be ordering as well for this repair? 

Thanks in advance for any info. 

I will be sure to post updates so you can see how this repair goes!

F759C65A-C665-4A26-9669-9D61E81778B9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.31dc62a1b166db9fdd312303e8fd46d1.jpeg

171ADA0B-0D5C-407A-8C82-DDF4042CF877_1_105_c.jpeg

ADB21C22-1D1B-4F46-A9AC-D916B2D7F0C6_1_105_c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping for some replies.... well anyhow if anyone is interested i flipped it up and the foam is 100% water logged.  Basically the entire bottom is water.  The pipe feeding my IX jet is cracked.  I don't know if the jet itself is cracked by the LEDs but obviously just going to change it out.  

Question:  I assume all foam that is wet needs to be pulled away and removed right?  What are my best options for refoaming?  Are there any products available?  Any other tips on this repair?

0F457997-0892-4163-B441-833F972C4F41_1_105_c.jpeg

5BEF2269-92FE-4C86-BCC0-173F4FB423F1_1_105_c.jpeg

D0354B55-CE8F-459D-8F0E-F8E03C47158A_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm no expert on these things - but you can absolutely re-foam.  There is a hotspring 2-part foam repair kit for their spas, and I'm sure Jacuzzi also sells a foam kit.   Basically mix the foam, and pour into the spot after performing your repairs.   Use a long knife to slice off excess foam after it cures.

Personally I'm not doing anything with the wet foam or even replacing what was removed for the repair. Might take a while but once the spa is back up to temp it should dry out. Google "froth Pak" for foam kit...see link below. In the second link I detail the IX Jet repair. Good Luck.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/froth-pak-sealant-spray-foam-kit-0642693p.html

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55113-jacuzzi-j480-leak/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK thanks for the info.  Its been sitting upright in the sun for about a week now and is still holding ll of its water.  I think Im gonna pull it all out.  We could be having temps in the freezing here within 3 months.  I think the whole bottom is just gonna turn into a block of ice.  

Will post pics once i get the jet installed.  Still waiting for delivery.

• 1 month later...

Well I installed the new IX jet and then found another crack in a T fitting.  Also found a hairline crack in the very bottom of the one filter housings (which I bet was due to manufacturing assembly issue from strain), so decided to change that as well.  I removed all wet foam and replaced with rockwool insulation.  Tub is back together and no leaks from the underside.  The IX jet was a pain to install.  Definitely a challenge for a newb.  I don't understand why jacuzzi does what they do but I bought the updated IX jet (had to use a converter for the LED lights).  Maybe if I would have been able to buy the old part number it would have fit better but the one I had came pre installed with a 90 on the end.  Well you can not install a pipe right off the 90 because it hits the bottom of the tub and does not allow the jet to land where it needs to be.  I think CanadianSpaTech was saying the same thing.  I ended up using flex PVC and heated it up to bend around the bottom of the tub.  This seemed to work fine for me.  Other option may also to use 2 45s to jog out an inch or 2.  You can probably see in the pic how the 2" flex PVC is flattened out a bit.  

Now I just need to fix a leaky waterfall and repair the main board and I should have this thing up and running.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1c385daf9171390524961e3d5441b08.jpeg520C39C7-6AE3-4DE2-8283-4C323035BF2E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6c3bfcbd710080e7fe7ef52d995146cc.jpeg

• Like 2