Help with finding gecko pack replacment for older hot tub

Orange Joe

Hi there.  I recently moved in to a new house that had a hot tub.  Was told it was working(old owners had moved out of the country and winter was coming so it was drained) but it is not.  I am trying to find the proper control box and heater.  I had a repair guy come out and he removed the old control box to see if he could get it repaired.  So unfortunately I don't have the numbers off the old one.  I do have a bunch of pics i have taken before and after it was removed.  He is telling me it is going to be over a year to get a replacement.  I would like to find an alternative as I'm not sure  believe it.  Here is the info I do have.  I have included all the pictures i have.  Unfortunately there isn't one with the control box open.  If any further info/pics are needed i can get them as needed(other than for the control box).  I apologize for the pictures being rotated.  They aren't on my phone or computer, only when i add them here for some reason.

Brand: Coast Spas

Model: QCK40

Manufactured in July 2005

9.thumb.jpg.7986bc3aa4b9bfc1eec29c20bc15b200.jpg10.thumb.jpg.d9f52d700ca32d1415c468cc1c58092b.jpg11.thumb.jpg.17e645cff55ca86e68d391a4b19069f9.jpg12.thumb.jpg.ff36611f41d2f4835cdc3370b88aa363.jpg13.thumb.jpg.f61aa4aad641c5e39d7b8b61a80e2094.jpg1.thumb.jpg.ec05efa2a7162db8ec00696ddb1d2f4a.jpg2.thumb.jpg.ea41a1256cd5cc2d9a091c815a1e1bcf.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8069f6a3e725e41122d67c21552454ce.jpg4.thumb.jpg.f7b45f3121762b5bb418e7d270a4850f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.ee45463815f706b7e392a5ec6767f2ed.jpg6.thumb.jpg.240c89c767fef44dc3836b696db9a355.jpg7.thumb.jpg.d8fbaf91ed08dc89e8c12a3e30ef44e9.jpg8.thumb.jpg.28ee6912e8079efa936de264161626b8.jpg

Search Gecko S-Class you can get them online.  It looks like they are discontinuing that line, so it might be worth looking at going to one of their other lines like the in.y or in.xe series. I dont know if they are a direct drop in or if you might need some wiring / plumbing changes.

46 minutes ago, Couch67 said:

one of their other lines like the in.y or in.xe series. I dont know if they are a direct drop in or if you might need some wiring / plumbing changes.

Would require changes of wiring for pumps and components over to Amp plug style connections.

Sclass packs if you can find one have been priced so high (Over 1K) that they are not worth buying. 

I would look at switching over to a Balboa system as you will need to switch the wires for components anyway. The Gecko Y class are not very repair friendly. 

Where are you located?

I do not currently have the original pack and im not sure i can get it back.  At least not quickly.  The original problem was i believe a couple of relays that were not working.  Not that they have been making me happy the last decade or more but im an oilers fan.

Im guessing the two links you listed were some options for me?

I do really appreciate the help.

Relays can be replaced. I have a guy in Guelph On that could repair it and would be your cheapest option. It would have to be shipped both way but think it would still be cheaper. Yes those are a couple of options but not sure if they would ship to Alberta. Let me know if they don't or check around for a similar pkg. Price it in the US as well as it may end up being cheaper. Go Leafs!!

5us6qn.jpg.1b0b28365af73aef00fe55b521370608.jpg

The hot tub guy sent my old board to his buddy who is an electronic repair guy and apparently it was a no go.  Working on getting the old one back but not sure when/if ill get it back.  I had a peak and they do ship out my way so that shouldnt be an issue.  I had another quick question for the Balboa link you shared.  What combo of cords would i need(in the option bar that comes down)?

You need wires for whatever components you have in the spa. Pump 1- 2 speed wire, pump 2 - 1-speed wire, Ozone 120V Light wire. Do you have a stereo? Use the legend that is on the inside cover of the sclass pack pic posted above. For the 2 speed pump you will see the 2 speed pump 1 is wired blk low speed red is high speed. You will need to know this for wiring the new set up. To do the job correctly you would run the new wires all the way to the pump and wire it up at the back of the pump. Sometime you have to remove the pump to get at the back. To hack job it you could cut the old plugs off and just use spade connectors and join the new to the old. Your old sclass used sensors that went into the side wall of the spa. New systems will  not need this sensor so just leave it in there.

What is your skill level? Will you be doing the swap yourself or getting the tech to do the work? There is a bit of work involved and you will need to make sure it is all wired correctly. Skill level 6/10

https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/replacing-gecko-spa-pack/

If you are buying from Poolandhottubdepot contact John in London ON tech support and let him know what you are trying to do, what components you have in the spa and their voltage and he will make recommendations and guide you through the set up process. Tell him Kurt in Milton. ON sent you.

@Orange JoeNot sure where you are on this project but, 3 recommendations:
1) There are not many that will take the time to actually figure out what the problem is. I did my own testing and found that it was a $1.00 capacitor.
2) Balboa makes a remove/replace controller and you would need to compare and make sure you pick the correct controller for your setup.
3) Locate a replace circuit board which MIGHT be as much as replacing the entire controller.

Personally, I would locate someone who knows how to properly do circuit board level testing and repair what you have. 

Good Luck.