New Circ Pump tripping breaker D1

Puckyhuddle

Have a 2011 D1 Chairman.  Found the breaker had tripped.  After reset, it ran for a few hours and tripped again.  Repair tech came out. Tub had been powered down for a few hours.  Unplugged all pumps, lights, etc, and replugged in one at a time.  Nothing tripped.  Circ pump was on its last legs anyway (slow to restart after refilling past 2 water changes and was making rattle noise) so tech replaced the circ pump figuring it was the culprit  Tub ran for a few hours and tripped again.  Tech figured then must be the heater.  He came back next day and disconnected the heater while the heater part is on order.  Tub ran for a few hours and tripped again with heater disconnected.  I rest the breaker and it tripped immediately. At that point I disconnected the ozonator, fan, waterfall, and the circ pump, reset the breaker and the tub ran.  Plugged the circ pump back and 30 seconds later the breaker tripped.  Plugged all back in except the circ pump and tub is still running 48 hours later.  Ran both jet pumps on high for 30 minutes with no problem. 

So it seems when the tub sits idle without power and everything has cooled, nothing trips it.  But after circ pump runs for a few hours it trips.  Even though it's a brand new circ pump and the heater has been disconnected.  I figured if it was a bad breaker it would trip after running both jet pumps for over 30 mins but it didn't.  

Any ideas?  Saw a very similar post which had a lot of people scratching their heads without an answer. Post didn't have a resolution.  Repair tech is coming back tomorrow and I don't want to play the "let's try this to see it works" game.  Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!

• Puckyhuddle changed the title to New Circ Pump tripping breaker D1

Have you opened the breaker removed it and inspected the wire connection. Is it warm/hot to the touch when it trips.

Disconnect all wire connections to the pack and breaker and reconnect to be sure there is nothing loose in the system wiring like a bad neutral connection or ground.

15 minutes ago, Puckyhuddle said:

"let's try this to see it works" game.

Sometimes it's all a tech can do when it is intermittent like that. Just is.

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover if there is one so we can see what you have. 

11 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Have you opened the breaker removed it and inspected the wire connection. Is it warm/hot to the touch when it trips.

Disconnect all wire connections to the pack and breaker and reconnect to be sure there is nothing loose in the system wiring like a bad neutral connection or ground.

Sometimes it's all a tech can do when it is intermittent like that. Just is.

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover if there is one so we can see what you have. 

Thanks.  I will post pics of the panel.  I did not check the breaker, but the jet pumps ran for 30 mins no issue after tripping and reset, while the circ pump ran only 30 secs after reset then tripped.  If the breaker was hot I'd assume the jet pumps would trip it as well?   

Also didn't mean to disparage the tech.   I was hoping to have him attack the issue with the collective knowledge of this group first.  I realize it's going to be hit and miss. 

The ozone is usually turned off for a period after any button is pressed and if jets or light is on. They don't want it running while the spa is in use. And it won't run with no flow, like when your circ pump is disconnected. 

Breakers that have tripped alot become "sensitive" and prone to nuisance tripping.

• Like 1