Hot Tub Yuk

dayday1

So I am well familiar with aww some and have cleaned and over purged my tub. Since I have started using it after about a month or so I will walk out and the water is cloudy and just looks like yuk. No ryhme no reason I can think of. So I purge again and refill. But this happens before the 90 days that I hope to get between purges. Also bather load is very lite. My girlfriend and I maybe once a week or so. 

Cloudy water is usually a sanitation issue.  You should be able to get 6 months out of a water change if the tub stays sanitized properly.

What do you use, Chlorine or Bromine? What is your PH, Hardness, Total Alkalinity, Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine and CYA? Do you use test strips or a kit like a Taylor 2005?

Even with infrequent use, you need to be checking Chlorine and PH levels a 3-4 times a week. You should check everything once a week.

You might want to consider Aqua Clarity weekly treatments. It's from Ahh-Some and it sounds like it's good stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use the taylor kit and numbers are always in spec but I have let the sanitizer get to 0 once or twice and from my understanding once that happens its hard to get right again. That said everyone I have talked to said I should be able to shock the tub and get the CC out but everytime I did I still showed 0.5 CC or one drop to make clear again, 

So I ran the bio cleaner a week ago refilled with water got the numbers close then just made sure it had sanitizer in it. Been a busy week so didn't have time to fully adjust chemicals.  Today is that day however when I checked the sanitizer levels it is showing 1 drop 0.5 of CC FAS DPD system. No one has used it or been around it and the sanitizer levels have not dropped to 0 over the last week. I also filled the tub after the purge and shocked the crap out of it for a day then drained before this last fill. My numbers as of today

PH 7.6

Alk 50 

Calcium 210/220

borate 30 

Just added 10ppm of sanitizer and left top off to see if that cures the 0.5 ppm of CC I just got. 

Total newb here, but I would plan to maintain 10 ppm FC for several days, or as long as needed until your chorine demand is back in check.  There is a Chlorine Demand sticky in the resources tab, so give that a read if you haven't already.  The trick here is to maintain shock levels until you are back at baseline contamination levels.  It could take several days and you will need to test and replenish FC frequently at first.  Good luck.  Vigilance is key.  

• Like 2