Hot springs 2015 sovereign in Protection mode?

Kloch

I have  new to me spa, a Hotsprings Sovereign, 2015 model, with the Watkins controls. It had been working fine, I went away for the weekend and came back to find it in protection mode.  It has the tri x ceramic filters- I took them out to clean. In the interim, I have shut off the breaker and tried to restart, it goes straight into protection mode and won't power up. I understand that it is to prevent overheating and a sensor is saying that wate ris circulating- so it is likely a bad sensor, like a high limit thermistor? Or it could be a circ pump? except that it goes into this mode immediately, cant see if circ pump is running or if jets work?

Thoughts?

And...I guess that it really can't be hot, since no heater is running/the tub is cold, which indicates a bad sensor, such as that in said thermistor. I suppose that the bubbling coming from the inlet in the floor means that the circ pump is circulating? I forced some water through by putting a hose in the inlet under the filter dedicated(?) to the circ pump, as some have described for pushing air bubbles out of the system (not that I thought an airlock was the problem)- still goes immediately into protection mode, I guess replacing that hi-limit thermistor is a cheap fix attempt...  

Same thing happened a few months back on my 2019 Jetsetter.  Called dealer (since it's under warranty) - they replaced both temp sensors (as a precaution to avoid a future callout they replace both), problem was fixed.

12 hours ago, Kloch said:

I suppose that the bubbling coming from the inlet in the floor means that the circ pump is circulating?

Mine did the same thing, yes the circ pump is running.  However note - the "bubbles" you see are actually coming from a mazzei injector used by the ozonator unit to suck ozone from the corona-discharge down into the water.   Ozonators will fail after around 20,000 hours runtime but the system can continue producing bubbles as the injector is sucking air into the system.   Mazzei injectors do wear out over time and can start leaking so it's best to replace them when replacing the Ozonator (the Hotspring Freshwater III ozonator kit comes with a replacement mazzei injector).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kloch said:

And...I guess that it really can't be hot, since no heater is running/the tub is cold, which indicates a bad sensor, such as that in said thermistor. I suppose that the bubbling coming from the inlet in the floor means that the circ pump is circulating? I forced some water through by putting a hose in the inlet under the filter dedicated(?) to the circ pump, as some have described for pushing air bubbles out of the system (not that I thought an airlock was the problem)- still goes immediately into protection mode, I guess replacing that hi-limit thermistor is a cheap fix attempt...  

It's common for the hot tub to go into protection mode when the hi-limit thermistor goes bad.  If you have water flow coming up from the floor drain then the circulation pump is running.  As ratchett said, the bubbles are from the ozone mazzi.

Assuming the circulation pump is running, a thermistor is the least expensive part that could need replacing in this instance and the one that would be the most common.

• Like 2

And...to be clear, when you talk about "water flow coming up from the floor drain", that is from the same perforated circular plug in the floor that the bubbles come out of- that is the floor drain,  right? Hot flow comes from there, can be felt with your foot when tub is full and heating...bubbles= confirmation circulation pump is running/working or I need to reach arm in and feel fir flow with my hand? Dumb question, I guess. I suppose I will replace both thermistor, did that in old sovereign circa @ 2000, not sure they are the same.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:17 AM, Kloch said:

And...to be clear, when you talk about "water flow coming up from the floor drain", that is from the same perforated circular plug in the floor that the bubbles come out of- that is the floor drain,  right? Hot flow comes from there, can be felt with your foot when tub is full and heating...bubbles= confirmation circulation pump is running/working

Correct, if you see bubbles coming out - that means your circulation pump is running.

Just to follow up, and to help others with the same problem,, replacing hi limit worked.  Ezpz. Also bought control thermistor, that part didn't come with an o ring, assume it needs one but not sure, didn't replace yet, left msg with parts store...assume it needs one, but I never assume on things I am not sure of...

• Like 1