Hot tub air lock ?

I have a used hottub i bought. Previous owner said it worked. I had it delivered. Filled it with water. Control panel comes on. Goes into prime mode. Pump doesnt work unless union between heater and pump is lossened. Pump works fine but leaks onece cycle is off. If union closed while pump working pumps stops. Seems like air lock issue or sonething else.

Balboa system. Hottub by shoreline.

Pic attached.

20210324_182821.jpg

That's strange. 

1 hour ago, Spauseratl said:

If union closed while pump working pumps stops.

Stops as in turns off or stops moving water but still running? Does it start back up after a few minutes.

Remove filter. Check pump impeller for damage or obstruction. Check heater and slice valves for obstruction.

@RDspaguy No never. I think something might be getting lost in translation...To be clear the pump is running but not moving water until you crack the union and let air in and then when you tighten the union back up the pump shuts off and goes dead or is it still working just not moving water???

Is the filter in or out? remove it until the issue is fixed. Looking at the amount of debris and nastiness inside the cabinet and the black plumbing lines it looks like the spa sat empty for awhile...Y...No? Are the suction returns in the foot well clear of debris?

I see it's wired for 120VAC was it run that way by the previous owner or did you convert it from 240VAC? 

Has to be some sort of vapor lock or a power issue.

Might have to check those gate valves...just because the handle is pulled out doesn't mean they are not closed inside if the handle is broken off the plunger

U understand totally. 

Im going to remove the motor and see if something is clogged. The inside is clean i just cleaned and filled. I dont think its a power issue if it works with union cracked?

Ive tried filter and no filter. Filter is new cartridge style. The gate slicer valves work.

I converted it to 110.