Troubleshooting spa that isn't running

Arehs9

Hi, I have a new to me hot spring vanguard spa.

The previous owner (family friend) said the heater stopped working and it started to look the breaker. I heater was clearly messed up, so I bought a new one and installed that, and then i hooked up all my electrical and found out it was still popping my breaker for the pumps. The heater breaker didn't pop (but I turned it off to not damage the heater).

I unplugged the circ pump and the main jet pump, flipped the breaker and it didn't blow any circuits. I then plugged the circ pump in and then it DID pop the breaker. I then unplugged that and plugged in the main jet, it did not pop the breaker.

But it did not run the jets at all, the main display turned off and the power light flashed. I am not sure if this is because it will not run without the circ pump or if I'm looking at 2 bad pumps or even a bad board. I have a multimeter so if there are any good tests I would be willing to try!

Thanks!!

Okay just did a resistance test for the circ pump and got a nice OL, main pump was giving me 2.2 ohms and heater was 10-11ohms. I touched the terminals on the board and wasn't getting any ohms (not sure if I'm supposed to). 

I'm 100% sure the circ pump needs replaced I would just like to narrow down the rest as best as possible before ordering parts (also I am curious if I'm able to open up the circ pump and possibly fix anything, I like messing around with stuff and am reasonably handy) 

3 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Get a new circ pump. If it trips the breaker it is not fixable that I know of. Might also have a bad thermistor (sensor) which will shut down everything.

@CanadianSpaTech, any thoughts?

Isn't the thermistor the sensor on the heater? I got new ones on my new heater and it only pops the breaker If the circ pump is plugged in.  But the main jets still won't run.

Sorry if I'm incorrect about the thermistor I don't know a ton about spa parts

Yep, the sensors. They will not trip the breaker, but if they are not getting good readings they will shut down EVERYTHING and make the indicator lights blink. It is a safety feature. Get a working circ pump and that will probably stop. If the heater runs without water flow through it, that is what happens. I think maybe you turned off the wrong breaker.

Sorry If I have been confusing, I turned both breakers on, I realized the jets didn't start and it popped the breaker for the jets, so I then turned off the heater as well, I felt the heater and it got hot so I know that was working. I then tried running the tub without the heater on and the circ pump disconnected and that is when I am getting the blinking light. It makes sense if it won't run without the circ pump.plugged in, but I'm not sure if it is suppose to or not. I will try and get a new circ pump to see if it fixes the issues.