Spa heater not turning off

Hi, we have an older spa (Gulf Coast Spas DX5000 - probably about 10-15 years old.  Balboa VS spa pack, single pump (no circ)).  It seems that when the heater turns on, it never turns off again until it gets "too hot" (not sure when / why it stops but I've noticed it stopped when the temperature is 106F).   If I power everything down and then power it back up and the water temperature is already above the set temperature (e.g. set to 96, current temp 104), then it won't turn on but it appears that as soon as it drops low enough to turn on the heater (e.g. drops to 95 or 96) or maybe it's when it hits recirculate cycle, the heater turns on and then never turns off until I power it off again.  It does appear to show the correct temperature on the display panel.

Any suggestions?  Could it be one of the temperature sensors? Relays?  

(including pictures in case it could be useful)

IMG_20200506_162916.jpg

IMG_20200506_162921.jpg

The display doesn't show anything (just a very basic display) but the pump is running (single pump which runs during filtration cycle, when turned on manually or when heating) and the water gets hotter.   I've never actually noticed any error code, it just gets hotter and hotter.  Just so it's clear, it doesn't shut down but today was the first time I've noticed it no longer heating and the heat was at 106.  When I looked at it later, it was running again (pump) and the heat was at 104.  It is on a GFCI breaker.  I should note that it's still pretty cool where we are (usually daily low/high of around 30s/60s) (It's been in the high 20s the last few nights) so that probably limits how hot it's getting.

Check your filter cycle settings. If the filter cycle is set to high the pump will run and run and run. If it is set at say F8 it will run for 8 hours out of 12 and 16 hours out of 24. The heat shedding off a pump that is running longer than a 2 hour filter cycle (F2) will in turn heat the water from the inside. Please confirm you have the filter cycle set properly and not longer than 2 hours and let us know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Check your filter cycle settings. If the filter cycle is set to high the pump will run and run and run. If it is set at say F8 it will run for 8 hours out of 12 and 16 hours out of 24. The heat shedding off a pump that is running longer than a 2 hour filter cycle (F2) will in turn heat the water from the inside. Please confirm you have the filter cycle set properly and not longer than 2 hours and let us know.

That might have solved the problem.  I don't know if it's because of heat shedding off the pump but the spa is old and various pieces have been replaced now and I suspect that now, whenever it's in filter cycle, the heater my turn on.  It was on F8 vs F2 and setting it to F2 seems to have resolved the issue.

Thanks, Mike

• Like 1