replacement LCD for old style Hot springs "orca" topside ?

SkipH

The LCD in my 2009 Jetsetter has died and I gather that replacement control panels are no longer available and that you have to replace both the topside and the main controller!  With the current situation I have ZERO income so spending close to $1000 to fix my hot tub is NOT an option.  I'm 100% sure it's the actual LCD module that is the problem because I can still control the spa if I remember the correct button sequence.  It is however quite difficult to set a temperature?

So ... does anyone have ideas where I might find a replacement LCD or a used 74959 control panel for parts?  

Thanks & stay safe!

Skip

@castletonia, you have any suggestions?

I would say call around to various Hot Springs dealers, someone has one on a shelf.

Or bring it to an electronics/ computer repair guy. That LCD may be a common item in appliances, or it may be something else altogether. It could just have moisture in it shorting out the power to the LCD. 

But if you do need a new control system, you may have other options besides a Hot Springs. 

Thanks for the reply RDspaguy.  I've been calling locally but no luck so far.  I am basically a "electronics/ computer repair guy" which is why I"m trying to fix it myself.  The LCD is definitely not a common one, at least Googling for 45 minutes didn't turn one up.  I've stored multiple searches on ebay, maybe I'll get lucky.

BTW once the LCD gets warm from being in direct sunlight for while it sort of works, sort of (half the panel missing, ghost images).  I think you're spot on about moisture, the top side controler ISN'T SEALED !!!  The flat cable goes into a slot on the back of the unit and Watkins made ZERO attempt at sealing the hole.  I found a few ants inside(!).  Unfortunately removing the ants didn't fix the problem.

Skip

Well I did a *lot* more research and it APPEARS that the LCD is the same one used in a HP iPaq 110 PDA!  I've found a couple places with replacements for < $100 but most are in China.  I'm going to order one and give it a try.

I'll update this thread on my success/failure.

Skip

IMG_1741.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skip,  I have the same problem.  I also bought a replacement LCD screen from Hong Kong and was shocked to see it arrive on my CA doorstep within 48 hrs.  I connected it to the control board and it lit up, but there is no text or images on the display.  Perhaps there is another step I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My LCD on my Hot Spot Tub is a bit wonky looking, it is somewhat readable. I just had a leak fixed and after filling the tub again the spa is in Spa Lock mode I can not change it. It will allow me to scroll and click the options under tools but to remove the “+” for the span lock is impossible. We believe the topside controller needs to be replaced and this will unlock the spalock but the model is older sxc2s1030. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to do? We can’t turn the jets on or change the temp and the lights do not go on. 

14 hours ago, castletonia said:

That serial number comes up as a 2014 Hot Spot SX with Canadian wiring.  That control panel is still available, its part number 76843.  It's entirely possible that your hot tub needs the software re-flashed to the circuit board or it could be an issue with that topside control panel.  

Where did you find the control panel? I have been searching for days and they all come up as unavailable? Thank you in advance! Amazing to here I could potentially find one. I attached a video of my control panel it’s flashing due to the recording but it’s actually solid. 

4 hours ago, Vero13 said:

Where did you find the control panel? I have been searching for days and they all come up as unavailable? Thank you in advance! Amazing to here I could potentially find one. I attached a video of my control panel it’s flashing due to the recording but it’s actually solid. 

IMG_8988.MOV

I'm a Hot Spring dealer.  I looked it up based on the serial number.  Your local dealer should be able to order one for you if they don't stock it.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, SkipH said:

Well I did a *lot* more research and it APPEARS that the LCD is the same one used in a HP iPaq 110 PDA!  I've found a couple places with replacements for < $100 but most are in China.  I'm going to order one and give it a try.

Skip

IMG_1741.JPG

Wondering if this worked or not?  I'm in a similar scenario and would rather replace an LCD screen then my whole control panel and control box.

I had a spa company come in and they actually brought a control pad that was one version up from what I had as the one I need they need to order. They plugged in the new control pad and the hot tub worked perfect all the options functioned. Now I just need to order the version mentioned above part number 76843 however it is quite expensive almost $250+ USD I’m hoping to find something more affordable if anyone has a link for the above part number would be great! 

On 6/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, Vickie said:

Skip,  I have the same problem.  I also bought a replacement LCD screen from Hong Kong and was shocked to see it arrive on my CA doorstep within 48 hrs.  I connected it to the control board and it lit up, but there is no text or images on the display.  Perhaps there is another step I am missing?

Wondering if this ended up working for you or not?  I think the LCD replacement could be my answer but not if its not compatible?

Hoping for an update.  Thanks.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, SkipH said:

Skip

IMG_1741.JPG

How did it work out for you? I’m having the same issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Well ... my LCD died after the spa had been turned off long enough for the water to get cold (probably 60 degrees, I'm in California).  I turned it back on and once it warmed up the LCD started working again so I've never replaced it.

I DID buy an iPaq and took it apart and the display does look identical to the the original.  But the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" principle (and laziness) ruled the day. 

I'm 90% confident it will work.  The iPAQ was about $40 on ebay (without battery) and it worked.

Skip

• 9 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, SkipH said:

Well ... my LCD died after the spa had been turned off long enough for the water to get cold (probably 60 degrees, I'm in California).  I turned it back on and once it warmed up the LCD started working again so I've never replaced it.

I DID buy an iPaq and took it apart and the display does look identical to the the original.  But the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" principle (and laziness) ruled the day. 

I'm 90% confident it will work.  The iPAQ was about $40 on ebay (without battery) and it worked.

Skip

Do you still have that iPAQ that was about $40 on ebay? i have a 2012 Hot Springs with a dead LCD.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,  I am wondering if anyone has tried the newer version Hotspring controller (Flat Plug) and just changed the plug? (Phone Jack)   Leave a few inches of cable and splice the new control panel cable up to the old style plug?  Can it be done?   Someone somewhere must have tried it...