No power to heating element

I have a 1995 Blue Ridge Spa. When I moved into this place, the hot tub was already here. I was told it used to work and then stopped. I checked the panel under the hot tub, when I opened it, I seen the 220 wires melted at the terminal block. I replaced the terminal block and the other wire it damaged. Got power supplies to it. Pump comes on, jets all work, light works. Just won’t heat up. Took the heating element out to test it with my multimeter and on ohms got 12. I then found that I wasn’t getting power to the heating element and don’t know where to go. I can NOT find a manual or wiring diagram for the life of me. Can anyone help with the issue, point me in a direction or help me find a wiring diagram?

1995 is tough. Company that made them was bought out by Jacuzzi in 1997 I believe. Nothing is available from the original manufacturer.

Does it have a circuit board or is it hard-wired components? 

Do you have an electrical tester?

Can you post a close up pic of the control box?

It has a circuit board. I have the terminal block temporarily loose just because I was testing it, the wires are usually tucked in the right spot. Also, I have another hot tub, same one, I got all the parts I can swap if need be. I honestly think it’s an electrical issue at this point. I do have a multimeter. 

99C5790C-F61C-404A-A382-DFD32114383C.jpeg

Nope, not a function stepper, but air switches on closer inspection.

On the bottom of the pic, which would be the left as it sits, is a component with 2 white wires with blue connectors. On the back of the pack it has a button sticking out. This is your hi-limit. Press this button. Or it has a dial on the side and is a thermostat, make sure it is on. Make sure the thermostat in the topside control is also on.

Does the topside control have indicator lights for heating, ready, jets, or such? Is it showing heating?

In the heater is a pressure switch. Make sure it is closing the circuit when the pump is on.

I can't trace the wiring from the pic to tell, but that system may not heat with the jets on high. Be sure jets are on low when testing heater. Is there a loud or quiet buzzing noise?

Pressure switch is the round thing on the heater tube with 2 wires. These go bad frequently. It should have continuity, 0 ohms, no voltage between the wires when the pump is on low and the thermostat is turned up.

I still do not see the hi-limit reset, but it has to be there. This is the most likely cause of it not heating. Find it and push the button.

To answer the question, yes, when I turn the jets on the “heat“ light lights up. But if the jets are turned off, and I just turn the top dial to heat, no lights come on. There is no loud noise or buzzing that I remember hearing. Also, how do I switch the pump from high or low? It has the button on the top side control that turns the jets on, that’s all I see.

What exactly is low speed or high speed? Is low speed when I turn the top side control thermostat to on and high speed is with the jets on? 

yes, when I turn the jets on, the “heat light” lights up, but no power to the heater. I tested the relay that is connected to the heating element and no power.

No power on the line, load, or coil of the relay? Troubleshooting this is going to be a process. This is no self-diagnosing digital control, it is hardwired. I cannot find any scematic or ladder diagram on it, so am not sure how it is wired. And there are many ways it could be wired. Is there a wiring diagram on the control box cover? I have not seen one of this brand in a good decade, though I started in this business in '95 and spent my first decade working mostly on these hardwired packs.

The easiest way to test a pressure switch is to disconnect the wires and test for continuity or resistance (ohms) while the pump is on. Be careful, that is 120v on those wires and may not be gfci protected so this could be destructive to your equipment or deadly to you if those wires touch anything. I can give you a safer way if I have a diagram or can trace the wires.

32 minutes ago, ChaseLoven said:

What exactly is low speed or high speed? Is low speed when I turn the top side control thermostat to on and high speed is with the jets on? 

Yes. Is it running in low with the thermostat?

This is the relay I am talking about. It may not even be a relay, that’s just what I think it’s called. The top 2 wires ( top left is a black wire, straight off the terminal block) (top right is a red wire that jumps to another relay) have power when the high speed is off, but when I turn high speed on, no power to the top. The bottom 2 wires go straight to the heating element and have never gotten power when I test it. 

E8F586C8-9301-4182-B3C1-8CF23BFEA6D0.jpeg

DCA16DE2-3FBC-4FFF-B3CA-27862E97E08A.jpeg

It is tecnically called a contactor, but it is essentially a relay. The screw terminals are line (power in) and load (power out), and the lower spade terminals are the coil. When voltage is applied to the coil, the contacts close and put power to the load, in this case a heater. The contactor wired to the heater is usually controlled by the thermostat, pressure switch, and sometimes hi-limit which allow voltage to the coil. 

The red round thing is a timer. Typically for low speed pump filtration, but could also control heat. So it could be that the thermostat AND the timer must be on to heat. 

The hi-limit in the pack must have a reset. See if you can get a finger to the back side of it and feel a inch long button a little smaller than a pencil. Or pull it to check by removing the 2 screws on the left outside of the box.

Pump does not run in low speed.

When the heat light is on, still no power to the heater. On line or load.

I tested for power to the heater on the line and load of the contactor that goes to the heater. Power is on the line when everything is off, but no power at the load. Also, when I turn the pump on (high) no power on the line or load, only has power at the line when everything is off. Hope this helps.

I just wanted to let you know how very very much I appreciate you educating me on a system that I had no clue where to begin when you didn’t have to. It is working great now. It ended up being that contactor and the timer. I replaced the contactor for $14 this morning and when I pulled half the tabs up on the timer and and turned it, it came on. It’s running on low and high now and it’s heated up 8° in 1 hour.