viking spa 6 dashes

robbieboy

2 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Just replacing the board might not fix your problem if it is a sensor issue. If you can't test the sensors yourself take them into your local hardware store and ask them to test them for you. I'm sure they will know how to work a multi meter for testing.

Rd is saying replace the entire spa pack...New board. heater, sensors

I see what do the sensors look like?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the chrome heater tube at the bottom of the pack there are 2 black nuts with a grey wire coming out. One at each end of the heater tube. They attach to the circuit board on the lower right hand side of the circuit board. There are small tabs that need to be pressed down to release them from the board.

https://www.hottubworks.com/blog/testing-sensors/

You may want to call for service at this point. They will have extra sensors to use for testing and give you an answer before you start spending money on something you don't need.

14 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Given the burned heater terminal, which probably means bad heater, and this other as yet unknown problem, I think a new pack is a good choice.

I can't find that board to see what you've got. It is 120v, one 2 speed pump, no circulation pump, 3 kw heater?

Ok thanks ive managed to get the sensors out and looking online they are only about 30 pounds for the pair. which i can get its just the board its self, could i get a second hand one from somewhere? 120v, 2 speed pump, no circulation pump, 3 kw heater 

56 minutes ago, robbieboy said:

Just a quick update i called a hot tub place and they said its likely the board is ok and if it wasnt there wouldnt be anything on the display at all. So i have ordered some sensors, if it isnt the sensors they said i can send them back and get a refund at least

My advice, don't ever call them again. Whoever told you that is a moron.

Glad you are moving forward, keep us posted.

Hi guys so the update is the new sensors came today, I replaced the old ones and it worked and it fired up like it used to for about 10 mins then I was back to square one. same reading on the display I'm assuming ive nowruined those sensors as well some how. so i was going to send them back and say they didnt do the job. bit naughty but they cost 60 pounds

I seriously doubt you ruined the sensors, they simply did not solve your issue. In 25 years, I have never ruined a sensor by plugging it in.

It is curious that it ran for ten minutes. Was the display normal? Did the temp reading go up? Was it in standard mode?

Reset the breaker and see if it works again. Leave it off for 30 seconds or so.

While the old sensors are out, take a resistance (ohm) reading on each of them. They should be fairly close, within a few hundred ohms. If so, they are good. Test the new ones before returning so you can feel better about returning them.

I think it a good idea given all the issues. If you wouldn't mind, for informational purposes, could you unplug the topside control and turn it on? See if it comes on after a minute.

Tomorrow I will make a call to a buddy of mine also in the business and get his thoughts. Maybe he has run into this before.

8 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

So it's not the sensors so now i think it's time to replace the pack or call for service at the very least. Can't think of anything else we can do from here.

It was just strange that when i replaced the old sensors it worked fine for a moment.

3 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I think it a good idea given all the issues. If you wouldn't mind, for informational purposes, could you unplug the topside control and turn it on? See if it comes on after a minute.

Tomorrow I will make a call to a buddy of mine also in the business and get his thoughts. Maybe he has run into this before.

3 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Did you happen to test the sensors? I am curious to know.

I have managed to test them due to this lockdown going on at the moment as i dont have the tools or the knowledge to do it. Ok i'll try and and fire it up with out the display thing plugged in and see what happens. Thanks man

5 hours ago, robbieboy said:

I have managed to test them due to this lockdown going on at the moment as i dont have the tools or the knowledge to do it. Ok i'll try and and fire it up with out the display thing plugged in and see what happens. Thanks man

i meant to say i havent managed to test them

On 4/4/2020 at 5:10 AM, RDspaguy said:

Hi spaguy I was wondering if you phoned your buddy for me as i am now at a stand still and me thinking the new sensors done the trick i threw out the old sensors so im alrady 60 pounds down. do you think it needs a new heater? as the board, pump and topside display all seem to working ok.

I did, he has not run into this before either. 

I thought your topside was still showing dashes. Is it working now? I seem to recall seeing a burn at the heater terminal on that board. And corroded heater element terminal. 

Try unplugging the topside from the circuit board and see if it starts automated functions. It will take it a few minutes to turn on with the topside unplugged.

22 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I did, he has not run into this before either. 

I thought your topside was still showing dashes. Is it working now? I seem to recall seeing a burn at the heater terminal on that board. And corroded heater element terminal. 

Try unplugging the topside from the circuit board and see if it starts automated functions. It will take it a few minutes to turn on with the topside unplugged.

Hi spa guy yeah the topside is showing the same dashes but that is functional as i have bought a new topside display recently and i have the same dashes. I have tried also to fire it up with out the display plugged in and no joy. yeah one of the copper strips connecting to the heater. do u think it could be a bad heater?

lol any go to guy will do. so this morning i come downstairs and the electric was off so the hot tub trip out at the switch board. I tried switching it back on and there was a "boom" at the board so i think ive now blown the fuse. Is that confirmation the board is bad.