1989 Hot Springs Heater Issue - With Pics

steveholtam

Hi.  Any old timers here have any tips on a heating issue for this dinosaur?  I have a 1989 Hot Springs Spa with no heat.  Everything else works fine.  No resets have popped out.  I pulled the two power cords from the main control unit and was not able to detect 120v from either of them.  Not sure if this is normal or not.  

I'm comfortable testing parts, but really don't know where to begin.  Thermistors, T-Stats, Flow Sensors, power, ugh.   Would really appreciate a few tips to get me pointed in the right direction.  

THANKS!

20161108_071707 (Small).jpg

20161108_071725 (Small).jpg

20161108_071740 (Small).jpg

20161108_071654 (Small).jpg

Hi, I also have a 1989 Hot Springs Classic.This forum has experts who were very helpful to me, including a Hot Spring tech group that responds to requests for help.

Ultimately, I had to check heater thermostat, hi-limit thermostat, heater and the relays for the heater. Be prepared to remover your control box for access to the wiring and components to test. Tools will be a multimeter, screwdrivers, nut drivers, maybe a pot of hot water and water thermometer (to test spa-limit and hi-limit thermostats (the reset button components).

Before you start make a chart of all connections of wires and thermostat copper tubes, including the proprietary plugs for the pump and heater since the 3 prongs have different configurations. I bought a heater adapter cord to be able to test the heater by plugging it into house current independent of the controls. 

The thin copper "wires" coming out of the control box are capillary tubes, not wires. Be extremely careful moving them, try not to bend much at all. Make sure you know where each one goes after it leaves the control box. They have bulbs at the ends where they end up, the spa drywell and the heater. Replacements can be expensive. I had to replace  one twice because I pinched off the capillary tube on the new one when moving the control box around to re-install it. Try not to do that stupid thing. Do not move fast. Double check your moves and make them once, deliberately. Do not work on this if you are frustrated. Cool off first. I learned that the hard way.

The heater/jet system has 2 relays. They look identical but are not. Chart the wiring for each in the control box. Find someone who can tell you how to test those. I ended up replacing the heater relay with the wrong unit, the one for the combined jet/heater. Until I figured that out i was testing all kinds of components and my wiring with no results that  could understand. 

There is a rectifer upgrade that is worth it. IT HELPS SAVE THERMOSTATS (oops, caps).

I know this rambling reply is not the actual how-to that you need, but a couple of the tips I mentioned will save you some uncertainty as you go through the steps.

Good luck. These are good spas, they run for years. 

If you can test the heater independently with an adapter cord (due to the proprietary plug pin configuration for the Hot Spring heater) it will eliminate that unit. The other control for the heater is the thermostat. 

The reset buttons trip if your thermostat does not shut down power as the water heats beyond the trip point. If you have no heat you will not see that occur. If your thermostat has failed to open the heater circuit you need to replace the thermostat and you should also do the retrofit for the small 4-wire heater thermostat rectifier. Wiring directions come with the kit of parts and are easy to follow. But walk yourself through it several times before you start cutting. Keep diagram clear and close by for reference.

Is your spa running at 240 or 120? If it is 120 then you have the system that allows heater to operate only when jets are off, but not heat when jets are running. That is the control provided by the dual relay of the 2. It could still be either relay if you have the 120 system, since both relays have a heater control function.

If you do not get a response from this forum, specifically the Hot Spring tech crew, go to Spa Depot.com and maybe another online diagnostic, repair and parts service and digest all they have to tell you before making purchases. You will find ample testing information.

Just be careful of the components to not cause pinching or damage as you remove parts and make your diagrams and photos first.

Good luck.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know if that insulating material around the heating element is asbestos? I just picked up a 1986 Hot spring with a similar element and the refractory crumbled off. Also, is there a good replacement for the insulation?  Thinking just fireproof insulation. Thanks for the help