Master Spa Lsx 1050 Vs Sundance Maxxius

HDK

Hello everyone, I am looking at Spas that are around the 8x10 size range. We have looked at the Master Spa LSX1050 which is 8x10 and has 15hp total for the pumps and 90 jets vs the the Sundance maxxus which has 7.5 hp and 55 jets. I hear I shouldn't just look at the HP and the number of jets, and I will wet test them, but is there a clear quality winner here? Does one have much better filtration? Also, the Master spa doesn't have full foam insullation, it has some foam and reflective blanket that the sales guy says is better. I can see how the thicker shell of the sundance should be better, but is the shell on the mster spa thick enough? It seems more difficult to make a decision than I thought. Should I just but the one that feels the best and forget possible quality differences?

HDK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, I am looking at Spas that are around the 8x10 size range. We have looked at the Master Spa LSX1050 which is 8x10 and has 15hp total for the pumps and 90 jets vs the the Sundance maxxus which has 7.5 hp and 55 jets. I hear I shouldn't just look at the HP and the number of jets, and I will wet test them, but is there a clear quality winner here? Does one have much better filtration? Also, the Master spa doesn't have full foam insullation, it has some foam and reflective blanket that the sales guy says is better. I can see how the thicker shell of the sundance should be better, but is the shell on the mster spa thick enough? It seems more difficult to make a decision than I thought. Should I just but the one that feels the best and forget possible quality differences?

HDK

I belive that Sundance enjoys a better reputation. Very few, if any reputable folks would argue that Sundance doens't make a quality product.

Master however has been argued to the point of ad nasuium. On another website, I've seen shoddy panels, air gaps, and heard unfavorable statements about some of thier road side, and tent sales. Some Master dealers were involved in a "Free hot tub rebate Scam".

If high quality is your concern, I personally, Between these two would go with Sundance. :). There are other quality manafactuers you could look at in addition to Sundance, but MAster would not be on my list.

I think you will find that sundance has a much better reputation than Master. I personally wouldn't worry too much about filtration or the shell. I think you'll find filtration with any tub is going to work well enough to keep your water cleen as long as you take care of the water. I've never heard someone say, man I wish I had better filtration. They give a lot of these parts fancy names and I think most of it is just marketing to seperate themselves from the other tubs. Wet test and find a tub that is comfortable for you. Good Luck.

I think you will find that sundance has a much better reputation than Master. I personally wouldn't worry too much about filtration or the shell. I think you'll find filtration with any tub is going to work well enough to keep your water cleen as long as you take care of the water. I've never heard someone say, man I wish I had better filtration. They give a lot of these parts fancy names and I think most of it is just marketing to seperate themselves from the other tubs. Wet test and find a tub that is comfortable for you. Good Luck.

I also would concur that between the 2 Sundance is the better product. IMO there are better out there than Sundance also.

I also would concur that between the 2 Sundance is the better product. IMO there are better out there than Sundance also.

Roger,if money was no object,and you wanted the best therapy tub money could buy,what would you purchase? Also,along the same lines,as far as bells and whistle spas,which would you purchase?

Thx,

Rich

I’d like to know how the Master has double the horsepower and the same KW heater as the Sundance, but requires the same electrical requirements as the Sundance? Is there something fishy going on there? Could the HP number for the Master be incorrect or misleading?

The LSX1050 has a 5 year warranty on the skirt/side panels while the Maxxius only has a 2 year warranty.

You can get full foam insulation on any Master Spa.

The LSX1050 has a powder coated box steel frame versus a walmanized wood frame on a Sundance which is more likely to warp and rot over time. Where are you located. If you want you can email me jokersoaker@aol.com and we can discuss futher.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand that there may be better spas out there, but given that my wife wants something larger than an 8' x8', my choices seem more limited. I will wet test them both and see which seems best. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I am open to all.

HDK

The LSX1050 has a 5 year warranty on the skirt/side panels while the Maxxius only has a 2 year warranty.

You can get full foam insulation on any Master Spa.

The LSX1050 has a powder coated box steel frame versus a walmanized wood frame on a Sundance which is more likely to warp and rot over time. Where are you located. If you want you can email me jokersoaker@aol.com and we can discuss futher.

here is what the warranty actually covers for five years

Skirting

Master Spas warrants the original retail

purchaser, that the polymer skirting and

the Master Wood skirting will not crack

or rip for a period of five (5) years from

the date of the original retail purchase

I am not saying the Sundance warranty is any better or even as good. Its just that most makers cabinet warranties for the most part offer protection for the manufacture and little real protection to the end user. I only know of one maker that protects against warping and fading due to the sun, which in the real world should anything happen to your cabinet it most likely would be along those lines.

here is what the warranty actually covers for five years

Skirting

Master Spas warrants the original retail

purchaser, that the polymer skirting and

the Master Wood skirting will not crack

or rip for a period of five (5) years from

the date of the original retail purchase

I am not saying the Sundance warranty is any better or even as good. Its just that most makers cabinet warranties for the most part offer protection for the manufacture and little real protection to the end user. I only know of one maker that protects against warping and fading due to the sun, which in the real world should anything happen to your cabinet it most likely would be along those lines.

Good point, warping and fading are more apt to happen while ripping and cracking I would not suspect to be a big issue.

I think warping woud be the major issue on synthtic sidding, not cracking. Fading to a lesse degree as crackng would only hapn typically on a direct impact which won't be coverd much like 99% of Vinyl siding for homes. The better manufactures wil warrent the plastic against fading and warping.

HDK,

You are right, choosing the correct tub for you is difficult and involves a lot more than asking for opinions on this forum. I'll tell you right up front I'm getting a Master Spa tub - it's getting delivered Friday, but more importantly, I'll tell you why I picked it from all the available tubs in my area:

- Steel frame. Virginia is the fifth worst state for termites. Not to mention carpenter ants and carpenter bees and powder post beetles. All wood framed spas are off my list!

- Enclosed bottom. My spa will be on a pad at ground level and I have lots of critters in my yard. Moles, voles, mice, etc., and I don't want to give them a nice warm home for the winter.

- No full foam. Ditto the above for critters burrowing in and full foam tubs are harder to find and repair leaks in while not being any more energy efficient than the system Master spa uses.

- Pre-filter. I have many trees in my yard and keeping all the assorted stuff they drop out of my tub will be impossible. Believe it or not, very few tubs offer a simple pre-filter to catch all this before it becomes entrapped in the pleats of the cartridge filters. Master spa tubs have a simple flat skimmer pre-filter you can hose off - this keeps your real filters working at peak efficiency. This convenience was a very big plus for me, but like I said I have a lot of trees. Right now my deck is covered with hulls from the leaf buds popping open (it's like the stuff that gets caught in your teeth when you eat popcorn).

- Neck and shoulder jets. Not too many tubs have the reverse-molded shell feature which gives you the true neck and shoulder jets. We wanted more of therapy tub than a party tub. Mainly, it's just for my wife and myself.

- Lots of power. 3 pumps plus a circ pump. Same reasoning for a therapy tub. Again, Master spa features and lay-out are really more for therapy and not that great as a party tub. I also like the remote controls which let you turn pumps on/off hi/low from where you're sitting.

- Good dealer. This is always a crap shoot, but the dealer in my area has been around a good while, did not bash the other brands, answered my questions, was easy to deal with and even backed up the product by extending out the manufacturer's warranty.

As for quality, I would look at the tub and if things seem put together well and designed well, chances are it's a quality tub. Many acutal components are the same or similar from tub to tub. I work for the Navy in ship maintenance, so I know a few things about pumps and motors. The Master spa tub seemed to have quality components in an easily accessable lay out for repair. I'll clue you in on something - anything with a pump and motor will require repair at some point. The Navy spends millions of your tax dollars on it every year.

This was a long answer, but the previous answers to your post seemed more interested in bashing a certain brand than actually helping you decide how to pick the right spa for you. Price, quality, dealer rep are all factors, but only you will know what is the right tub for you. The decision I made was due to my circumstances and what I saw, heard and felt as I shopped around.

Good Luck!

I don't think anyone is bashing master spas just stating opionions on what one is better, just as you did.

I don't agree with most of your major selling points. Seems like marketing stuff to me.

Steel Frame- Is a steel frame better than wood? debatable but I wouldn't pick a spa either way because of this.

Enclosed Bottom- Spas typically all have enclosed bottoms. Some may use different materials but I wouldn't pick a specific spa for this reason

Non full foam insulation- picking an insulation because a mouse wont burrow in it seems kind of silly.

Pre Filter? huh?

I do agree about how important finding a good dealer is, no matter what the brand is. As I said in my post above, I would ignore a lot of the marketing stuff and try and find a tub that you find comfortable (wet test, wet test, wet test) at a price you like, from a dealer you are comfortable with.

I don't think anyone is bashing master spas just stating opionions on what one is better, just as you did.

I don't agree with most of your major selling points. Seems like marketing stuff to me.

Steel Frame- Is a steel frame better than wood? debatable but I wouldn't pick a spa either way because of this.

Enclosed Bottom- Spas typically all have enclosed bottoms. Some may use different materials but I wouldn't pick a specific spa for this reason

Non full foam insulation- picking an insulation because a mouse wont burrow in it seems kind of silly.

Pre Filter? huh?

I do agree about how important finding a good dealer is, no matter what the brand is. As I said in my post above, I would ignore a lot of the marketing stuff and try and find a tub that you find comfortable (wet test, wet test, wet test) at a price you like, from a dealer you are comfortable with.

Very good post, marketing catches alot of people and there is a counter point that has just as much validity, My deck (made from wood) is still standing, my barbecue grills (made from powder coated steel) have rusted away twice in the life of the deck....HMMMMMMM

Pick because of comfort, dealer reputation and affordability, not marketing.

Roger,if money was no object,and you wanted the best therapy tub money could buy,what would you purchase? Also,along the same lines,as far as bells and whistle spas,which would you purchase?

Thx,

Rich

There's a company in MPLS that does design build on custom built inground tubs. This guy is unbeilievable in what he can do with vinyl lined concrete as far as sculpured seating and astetics. I would have him build me one if money was no object. But if it had to be a portable I would opt for the D1 Nautilis (Beachcomber 750, Marquis Destiny) I don't need alot of bells and whistles but if I wanted them I would go with the D1 Amore Bay. In other words I think there are a few that would all be acceptable, I have wet tested all 3 of the ones I would choose and find them all to be a bit different but each has it's strong areas and a couple weak. So if I didn't have a money issue I would have to see what dealer was the nicest guy. But I think if money wasn't an issue I would still see which one of those 3 dealers would cut me the best deal. After all you don't get to the point of having enough money for everything by not being frugal!! Unless you inherit it.

All of those tubs except the Amore Bay run about 8-10 grand here.

Very good post, marketing catches alot of people and there is a counter point that has just as much validity, My deck (made from wood) is still standing, my barbecue grills (made from powder coated steel) have rusted away twice in the life of the deck....HMMMMMMM

Pick because of comfort, dealer reputation and affordability, not marketing.

Properly coated steel does not rust - and if you have problems with grills I would recommend you buy a stainless steel one like I have. But according to your reasoning, that would be a marketing gimmick and not worth the extra money.

Wood rot and pre-filters may be marketing to you, but they are genuine concerns and desirable features to me and I stated MY reasoning, not just MY opinions. If my tub was going to be up on a deck, I probably wouldn't care about the framing material. Trying to repair a tub that's full of foam doesn't pass my common sense test so I wouldn't want one regardless - but that's me. You don't have my yard nor my likes and dislikes. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one.

By the way, passing up on a tub with a lot of value-added features because someone got a warped panel or had a bad experience at a tent sale seems pretty silly to me - and that is my opinion. You may think I have been "taken in" by clever marketing techniques, but the features I became stuck on the most were barely mentioned. I looked in the tub, under the tub and wet tested the tub. I recommend everyone do this and use their own judgement. I was looking for a good value that had specific features I liked, and was as maintenance and hassle free as possible. I didn't want to go the Costco route, but dollar for dollar they are probably the best value overall.

Use your own common sense and you'll be all right.

Well everyone has been very helpful. It seems that in most peoples opinion it comes down to comfort and the dealer. We are going to test the tubs on Monday so I guess that will push us in one direction or the other. I will post back with the results.

HDK

Properly coated steel does not rust - and if you have problems with grills I would recommend you buy a stainless steel one like I have. But according to your reasoning, that would be a marketing gimmick and not worth the extra money.

Wood rot and pre-filters may be marketing to you, but they are genuine concerns and desirable features to me and I stated MY reasoning, not just MY opinions. If my tub was going to be up on a deck, I probably wouldn't care about the framing material. Trying to repair a tub that's full of foam doesn't pass my common sense test so I wouldn't want one regardless - but that's me. You don't have my yard nor my likes and dislikes. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one.

By the way, passing up on a tub with a lot of value-added features because someone got a warped panel or had a bad experience at a tent sale seems pretty silly to me - and that is my opinion. You may think I have been "taken in" by clever marketing techniques, but the features I became stuck on the most were barely mentioned. I looked in the tub, under the tub and wet tested the tub. I recommend everyone do this and use their own judgement. I was looking for a good value that had specific features I liked, and was as maintenance and hassle free as possible. I didn't want to go the Costco route, but dollar for dollar they are probably the best value overall.

Use your own common sense and you'll be all right.

Wood rot and lack of pre filters are marketing. Master's successfull *marketing* supported your concerns, and convinced you that you should avoid them. The reality is, it's not. your "geniune concerns" really aren't an issue with quality tubs.

Properly coated steel wont rust.

Well, let's hope your's are properely coated. :) And yup...that's marketing. Perhaps Master should have stainless steel frames like your grill? (and guess what? not properly cared for, the SS grill can look like crap and degrade. SS grills are the biggest marketing hype in the grill industry today. Kinda like high jet counts and Misleading HP and Jet # that some companies tout in the Spa industry. :rolleyes: The old Ducane grills were high quality, but they are no longer onwed by the same company. SS grills are hype. Quality grills, taken care of properly will last years and years. I find it amusing that you say you don't go for marketing, but then boast about your stainless steel grill.

The fact is, we are all targets of marketing. And that's not neccessarly bad. But we should be aware of it.

Least we forget when discussing steel framing: Quality of the steel, it's thickness, and how it's applied to carry and distrubte loads all play a HUGE part in the frame. Concenctions and joints are also significant areas of conern with steel.

The varmints burrowing into the foam? Marketing.

Thermal pane efficeancy? But they offer a full foam *upgrade*? Something is wrong. Very wrong.

With that all said, I'm tot really busting you, (really. debating, sure, but not busting). Master has been the center of many controversies, and accused of misleading marketing. You claim the other guys are marketing, and Master is addressing your concerns

Guess what? it's all marketing. :rolleyes: Some companyies marketing is the ol "reverse marketing"

I do know of many people who love their Master Spas and have had good luck. I hope you do to.

Not to beat this to death but to clarify:

There is quality and there are features. Quality is fit and finish, durability of components, overall design. Can be very subjective for people. FEATURES are what tub A has that tub B doesn't have - fairly objective. Obviously a loud, wobbly tub with a steel frame is not as good as a quiet, rock solid tub with a wood frame. You think features are marketing so I can't debate you on that point - except I bought my tub before I even got a brochure from the dealer. Some features were important to me regardless of marketing. I think you are doing a bit of reverse-marketing yourself when you say no features really matter. Some do matter, but not the same for everybody. It's why some people drive SUV's and some compact cars. A TV or cd player, LED lights, and waterfalls in a tub I will grant are a pure marketing features as they have nothing to do with the operation, longevity, maintenance or quality of the spa itself. Other features do effect operation, maintenance, etc., and should be carefully considered based on individual circumstances.

Burrowing critters in the foam was not marketing, it was happenstance related to me by a person I know who owns a spa in my area. Take it for what it's worth. I've also heard bad stories from people with full foam spas needing leak repair. Again, you don't know these people and I do - take it for what it's worth.

Stainless steel grills will not last forever, but they do require much less maintenance than regular, painted grills. You pay for that convenience which makes it a feature (or marketing). The ultimate maintenance free spa probably would have a stainless steel frame and pumps with magnetic couplings - but nobody could afford it. We all make choices and calling my choices marketing like I'm some sort of dimwit is condescending don't you think? I didn't call into question anyone else's choices, just pointed out my circumstances and reasoning that led me to a Master Spa tub. It just happened to be the best choice for me. Chances are the same sort of reasoning would lead any thinking person to a completely different tub and manufactuer.

Not to beat this to death but to clarify:

There is quality and there are features. Quality is fit and finish, durability of components, overall design. Can be very subjective for people. FEATURES are what tub A has that tub B doesn't have - fairly objective. Obviously a loud, wobbly tub with a steel frame is not as good as a quiet, rock solid tub with a wood frame. You think features are marketing so I can't debate you on that point - except I bought my tub before I even got a brochure from the dealer. Some features were important to me regardless of marketing. I think you are doing a bit of reverse-marketing yourself when you say no features really matter. Some do matter, but not the same for everybody. It's why some people drive SUV's and some compact cars. A TV or cd player, LED lights, and waterfalls in a tub I will grant are a pure marketing features as they have nothing to do with the operation, longevity, maintenance or quality of the spa itself. Other features do effect operation, maintenance, etc., and should be carefully considered based on individual circumstances.

Burrowing critters in the foam was not marketing, it was happenstance related to me by a person I know who owns a spa in my area. Take it for what it's worth. I've also heard bad stories from people with full foam spas needing leak repair. Again, you don't know these people and I do - take it for what it's worth.

Stainless steel grills will not last forever, but they do require much less maintenance than regular, painted grills. You pay for that convenience which makes it a feature (or marketing). The ultimate maintenance free spa probably would have a stainless steel frame and pumps with magnetic couplings - but nobody could afford it. We all make choices and calling my choices marketing like I'm some sort of dimwit is condescending don't you think? I didn't call into question anyone else's choices, just pointed out my circumstances and reasoning that led me to a Master Spa tub. It just happened to be the best choice for me. Chances are the same sort of reasoning would lead any thinking person to a completely different tub and manufactuer.

Sigh. Sorry. I honestly tried to avoid being condecending. We've seem to have gone beyond that. It wasn't my intention.

Once again, there are many folks out thier that feel Master was a good value for them. Obviosluy you do to.

Horray.

However, on the flip side, there are many instances where Master was specifically called out on quality issues. When compared to Sundance (as this thread is about). There is a signficant difference between these two. So much so, I personally wouldn't even put the two in the same class.

I think you missed my point on SS grills and metal frames.

you say "Quality is fit and finish, durability of components, overall design. Can be very subjective for people. " I think thats true at a certain point. (two similliar items at a simmilar class). But bewteen Sundance and Master, the difference isn't so much subjective as it is outright "glaring".

But like you, that's Just my opinion. I think you heard a lot of marketing that addressed your concerns and isn't necesarly fact. Which I think is a very improtant distiction in this thread. It's not titled "why I like my Master. Or Why Sundance has different features. It's "Are there differences in quality?

Yes. Yes there are.

Such as....

I think it's funny that Master has a warrenty about the panels "ripping". Wtf? ripping panels? that shouldn't even be a concern with quality panels. That's like boasting your toaster has a warrenty agaisnt shrinking. Other manufactuers don't even mention ripping panels (or waranty them, as it's not even an issue. It doesn't exist).

Burrowing creatures: Once again, I don't think you fully understand the whole issue. If Master is the best soultion for you against that concern, well good luck.

The full foam vs TP for leaks as been discussed quite a bit and strucutal support for the pipes, and occurances of leaks between these two technoligies and where the leaks occur and why, are significant. Among the Quality makers of tubs, it really isn't an issue at all. But with MAster it is.

I think YOU don't understand. You say there are all these BIG differences and you keep harping on the skirting and the warranty for the skirting. I've seen it - it's flat, plastic, looks like wood, hangs on a metal track and is easlily removed with thumb screws. Looks like every other skirting panel, perhaps a bit more easier to remove than most - what else do you want from a plastic panel?

If you have some more substantive differences between the two, let's hear them. Unlike you, I have an open mind and would love to find out about it. Forget the full-foam arguement - you've swallowed the marketing purple kool-aid on that one - oh, I forgot, when it's your opinion, it's not marketing! "It supports the plumbing and prevents leaks" - gee where have I heard that one? - oh yeah, the Hotsprings dealer. It also hides the leaks.

By the way rip = to tear or split apart, or split along the grain. Obviously a reference to the spas with wood skirts. I guess Master Spa is still covering them.

I think YOU don't understand. You say there are all these BIG differences and you keep harping on the skirting and the warranty for the skirting. I've seen it - it's flat, plastic, looks like wood, hangs on a metal track and is easlily removed with thumb screws. Looks like every other skirting panel, perhaps a bit more easier to remove than most - what else do you want from a plastic panel?

If you have some more substantive differences between the two, let's hear them. Unlike you, I have an open mind and would love to find out about it. Forget the full-foam arguement - you've swallowed the marketing purple kool-aid on that one - oh, I forgot, when it's your opinion, it's not marketing! "It supports the plumbing and prevents leaks" - gee where have I heard that one? - oh yeah, the Hotsprings dealer. It also hides the leaks.

By the way rip = to tear or split apart, or split along the grain. Obviously a reference to the spas with wood skirts. I guess Master Spa is still covering them.

Well put brother!

Okey dokey.

Are there differences in Master's quality compared to Sundance? Should the poster consider this, or just go by feel?

yes, I keep harping on the skirt, because it's a main problem with master. horrible design. Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

1) Master has a ripping warrenty, as the skirt is blown vinly. Think "Little tykes" play sets here. The sides are made this way not for improved quality, but for price reduction. It's not there in reference to wood panels, that's marketing again. It's there because Master has cheap blown vinyl sides that can tear. Yes Tear and rip.

2) Quality of insulation: TP design to be efficent needs to be construted and seal very efficently. That's not kool aid. That's fact. Artic does it well. From what I hear Coleman and Jaquizzi can pull it off to some degree. Master? Not from what I saw. If this tub is going in a cold climate. The master spa will not be as energy efficent as other quality TP designs or quality Full foam. This is due to the large gapping in panels and the fact that the sides are blown vinyl

3) Rodents? Moles and volves and ompah lopahs are much more likely to get into, and harm the plumping (and you health if your alergic to bees stings, spiders, and such) the Master design than Sundance. It's a fact that the master skirting isn't in the same quality as others. I know it looks pretty good to you, but it you pull it apart, it's got issues when compared against other skiritngs and issue. Gaps, holes and many places for the critters to get in. Sure, you'll might hear a story about a full foam guy who had a problem but that's the exception. With Cheap flimsy TP desings, moles and such are a major concern.

4) steel frames: Steel frames do not provide more support. IS steel stronger than wood? Yes. But are we using the same mass of steel and wood? No. The steel is much thinner in the Master and a wood frame can actually support more weight. Master uses steel because it's cheaper for them. They market it as "Better" but it's not. That's thier spin.

(do we want to think about the heat sinking abilitys of a steel frame in a TP design?) .

5) leaks. You blow me off as a koolaid drinker. I can see we're dealing in facts here. :lol: The bottom line is the quality full foam tubs don't have those issues. It's a scare tatic used by TP dealers.

I know you like your spa. Can you tell me why you think its superior in QUALITY? Can you reasobaly tell me from a QUALITY standpoint what mistakes I've made in my above statements? I know you liked the idea of prefilters (which actually can damage the spa by restricting flow to the pumps). I know you are concerned about rodents in you tub. These are FEATURES (that I belive you've bought into on hype).

But can you point out where Master is better in QUALITY (failurre rates, BBB reports, dealer issues, engineering?

Thanks.

I'm not even a dealer. I simply put forth my opinon (and rather diplomaticly) on what I have seen, heard, and researched on these two spas.

I'm sorryif A Master owner felt I was condecending (that's my 2nd appology) If I am wrong in my posts, I wish someone would clarifiy. But we seem to be mixing features with quality and personal ego attatchments to boxes of hot water. I do understand there is a huge quality difference and I tried comunicate that.

Hell. Just go buy a Caldera spa and the hell with Master and Sundance.

How's that? :lol: