Upgrade To Vs Pump Or Should I Repair The Old Single Speed? Are Vs Worth It?

dannieboiz

I'm a brand new pool owner. I have a 1.5 HP Hayward pump that was recently shorted out. I have an appointment to drop it off for repair today. Probably cost $100-$125 to repair it or another option is to get a replacement motor for around $225

I really like the idea of the VS motor since we don't have a pool cover and would like to run our filter year round to keep the water clear.

I have two 30amp breakers coming in from the main to the pool then at the pool there are 2 15 amp breakers. One to a booster pump and the pool light (booster pump no longer in service) and the other dedicated to the filter pump.

I'm guessing it's a 110v, all the VS I'm seeing are 220. The wires are I believe to be 12 AWG coming in from the mains. Can I convert this to a 220 w/o running a new wire?

Are the VS pumps worth it? I read a lot of reliability issues with these VS pumps so I'm kind of shy away from it.

Can I convert this to a 220 w/o running a new wire?

Maybe. It depends if you have 220 running to the panel at the pool. If so, and there's room for a double pole breaker, then yes, but you'd have to run and additional wire from the pool panel to the pump. Of course, you may already have 220v at the pump. No offense, but if you're already unsure about this, you really should consult an electrician on site (I suspect your "two 30amp breakers coming in from the main to the pool" is actually a single, double pole 220v breaker).

I just came back from a pool motor repair shop, I brought my old pump in and he said it's too old to drop a dime on it so I will for sure be buying a new motor/pump

He also told me that this pump is a 1HP with a 1.56SF. My in and out are both 1.5" so having a VS pump will require replumbing larger diameter pipes to really take advantage of the VS. So I guess my next option is a 2 speed pump. Also told me that the pump is operating in 220v so this would actually open up a lot of pump options for me.

Not sure if I should just replace the motor and seals and reuse the pump or should I replace everything. Between the two I don't see a marginal difference in price, the only thing is labor (me) having to redo the PVC which I have plenty of experience with.

To take advantage of the VS, you need to re-plumb???

Wait.

To take advantage of the benefits of a VS pump, is to save money, yes? To save the most money (electric costs), you will want to run that pump the slowest speed you can get away with. In doing so, you will be moving much less water then you had in the past, hence larger pipe size is not a requirement for this pump in that application. Now if you have a system that also runs say a pool cleaner, jets for the spa, or a water feature off of that filter, then yes, you need to move more water. And just to be clear, if your cleaner, or the spa jets has its own "booster" pump, you don't need more flow from the filter pump. No more than what you are supplying right now with the single speed pump.

Now you should expect to pay (at least) twice as much for a VS pump as you would for a single speed. NOT that you need to replace your single speed pump at this time. You probably just need to replace the motor, which will be even less compared to the VS cost.

More to keep in mind, the idea with VS is that it will absolutely pay for itself in the long run, or long term rather...

I'm in a state where it requires all new pumps installed to be 2 speed or VS and my utility company is offering $100 rebate on VS pumps. I've just placed an order for a Hayward SP2302VSP it's one that have a 1.5 intake and discharge so for sure, I can be taking full advantage of the VS instead of a 3hp with 2.5 or 3" in/out w/o losing any flow. After rebate, it's only a couple hundred more than a 2 speed w/o controller adding the 2 speed controller, the 2 speed pump will cost as much and more labor to install than a VS so it was a no brainer for me.