1999 Down East / Master Spa

jnz

I just got this 1999 down east or master spas tub last fall. Two weeks after purchasing the impeller broke apart and was replaced, after that another month later the motor bearings started making noise. The original pump was 2hp and I decided to upgrade to a 3hp motor as the tub never felt the same I replaced the impeller. The new motor came with a wet end and does not seem to put out any more power. The tub appears to have had a lot of pipe work done and I am wondering is there any way to tell if the tub should have come with two motors and have high and low speeds. The tub has always had a two speed motor, but only used one speed. The model number on the outside of the skirt is worn away, but I do have the model of the control box du-h276-dcah. Any help would be much appreciated.

You said you don't notice anymore power with a 2hp or a 3hp pump. Down East spas always have a diverter. Maybe you need to direct the flow of the diverter valve to one set of jets only, and test the pumps yourself. Now with the tub having a 2 speed motor but using 1 speed (high most likely), You need to make sure the power is off, remove the skirting that is in front of the topside panel, check the circuit board to make sure that where the pump is plugged into that it has 4 wires (On both the circuit board and pump side). If it does, then check the dip switch settings on the side of your circuit board. Make sure Pump 1 is set to 2 speed mode, not 1 speed. If you only have 3 wires and not 4, then there is your problem.

I am unfamiliar with a diverter valve. Is that on top or under the skirt also. I have two air valves on top only one turns the jets on the other does nothing. Which makes me wonder if this was supposed to have two motors and or has been converted two one. As there are two suction fittings in the buttom of the tub as well as the filter all pulling from the single motor. I also dont see the water pulling down into the filter as it seems the two suction fittings at the bottom of the tub get all the power. It might be best for me to get pictures of what i have to show. I will also check the motor and switches on the control box.

Could be your flappers are stuck open or broke and not working properly also is there's more water going through the suctions versus the filter. Or your pump is simply always on high speed in which case it would pull from the foot well suctions more. Your pump should pull more from the filters on low if the plumbing is correct.

The suction side comes off the wet end and has each footwell suction inline lastly followed by flex leading to the filter. The output side comes out of the wet end into the heater and wraps around the tub and has a cap fitting on the very end. Oddly enough is the jets that are the strongest are at the end of the piping furthest from the pump and the jets closest off the pump have little to no pressure. 15 jets total with 14 being standard and one very large jet one the side that currently no flow comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the big jet have 15 or so nozzles? If so, thats the master blaster. On my Legend Series 2003, the master blaster is on its own pump. I just recently got the pump working that is only for the master blasters, and for a while, wondered what the extra air valve went to.