Hot Spring Grandee 2001 Leak

vikki1202

Hi I have a Hot Spring Grandee 2001. Around January I noticed it loosing some water but thought it was evaporation since it was so little. Eventually it was going down maybe 5 inches of water every week and we kept refilling it because it was too cold to do anything about it. Two weeks ago we filled it again. One week later I am prepared to empty it to find the leak and it has stopped leaking. The only difference is that it had warmed up here in southern NH. The leak was not in the panel compartment. We could see it leaking at the very right corner of the tub at the bottom if you are looking at the front panel, feels like there is a screen there.

In January I had to have the heater panel replaced. It was single digit temps then. I do not think the tub froze because I caught it quick but maybe some pipe did freeze? But why would it not be leaking now?? Any ideas? I don't want to let it go and have it start leaking again when it gets cold again in the fall. Also do the sides come off or do I have to empty it and lift it up?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like the air flow check intake check valve. It's a small "T" inside the equip compartment, that uses the vacuum created by the jet pump to open and close a valve allowing the venturi's at the jet's to draw air from the jet pump shrouds that evacuate the heat generated by the jet pump. Order a Hartford loop kit from backyard plus, it will have instructions.

The metal screen is the end of the pump shroud dryer type duct. That little check valve can leak intermittently, and water will run right out of that metal screen under one corner of the tub. Likely a 5 or 10 minute fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks PreservedSwine.

I couldn't write back sooner because the site wasn't allowing me to post for some reason.

I don't quite understand what you wrote but we will try replacing that part. Since this sounds like it involves the jets, would this still be applicable if we didn't use the hot tub from January through the beginning of April? We only ran the jets for 30 minutes once a week when we put chemicals in. Now we have gone in it a few times since the beginning of April and used the jets for awhile and there is no leaking. Do you know how I can prove this is the fix since it is not leaking now? Is there a way to get it leaking before we replace that part and then try the same thing after? Why would warmer weather stop the leak if this is the problem?

Also do the sides come off? Just wondering because I can't find anything in the manual about that.

Thanks again!

It's very likely your problem, it can be very intermittent. If what I wrote doesn't make sense, don't worry about it. Just order the replacement Hartford loop, (part number 70071 IIRC) and install.

The valve that's failed is in the equip compartment, but the leak uses the pump shroud and air flow control tubing as a conduit, and leaks at the metal grill on the outside corner of the cabinet. Where the shroud is plumbed into the air flow control line is out of view, you can't actually see it. Don't worry about it, it's the valve that's failed, that's easily accessible.

• 1 month later...

It's very likely your problem, it can be very intermittent. If what I wrote doesn't make sense, don't worry about it. Just order the replacement Hartford loop, (part number 70071 IIRC) and install.

The valve that's failed is in the equip compartment, but the leak uses the pump shroud and air flow control tubing as a conduit, and leaks at the metal grill on the outside corner of the cabinet. Where the shroud is plumbed into the air flow control line is out of view, you can't actually see it. Don't worry about it, it's the valve that's failed, that's easily accessible.

PreservedSwine, I posted a new post on a leak in my 2003 Grandee and I am thinking this may be my problem also. I tried to refill my spa and it reached the bottom of the filter compartment and water started leaking out of that vent tubing. I don't notice a leak in the T at all.

PreservedSwine, I posted a new post on a leak in my 2003 Grandee and I am thinking this may be my problem also. I tried to refill my spa and it reached the bottom of the filter compartment and water started leaking out of that vent tubing. I don't notice a leak in the T at all.

mdgibbs88. The problem described by vikki1202 with her 2001 Grandee would not occur with your 2003 model. The original 2001 air intake check valve was replaced in all models with the Hartford loop in late 2002. If you're seeing water leaking out through the vent hose opening in the side of the equipment compartment shroud, the problem is most likely a leak at one of the many mini jets located in that corner seat area. The ten-jet mini jet cluster has approximately 30 glue joints, 10 O-rings plus another 10 glue joints at the multi-port manifolds feeding the jet system so the probability is high that is the source of your leak. We would recommend contacting your local Hot Spring Spa dealer for this type of service call as wood siding would need to be removed to locate and repair the leak. If the leak is at one of the mini jets, they would be replaced as a pair. If the leak is at one of the supply manifolds, that takes some serious planning to cut the hoses to allow for couplings, etc. Your local dealer should have the experience to do the job correctly and get you back into your spa again. Regards, Keith, Watkins Customer Service.

mdgibbs88. The problem described by vikki1202 with her 2001 Grandee would not occur with your 2003 model. The original 2001 air intake check valve was replaced in all models with the Hartford loop in late 2002. If you're seeing water leaking out through the vent hose opening in the side of the equipment compartment shroud, the problem is most likely a leak at one of the many mini jets located in that corner seat area. The ten-jet mini jet cluster has approximately 30 glue joints, 10 O-rings plus another 10 glue joints at the multi-port manifolds feeding the jet system so the probability is high that is the source of your leak. We would recommend contacting your local Hot Spring Spa dealer for this type of service call as wood siding would need to be removed to locate and repair the leak. If the leak is at one of the mini jets, they would be replaced as a pair. If the leak is at one of the supply manifolds, that takes some serious planning to cut the hoses to allow for couplings, etc. Your local dealer should have the experience to do the job correctly and get you back into your spa again. Regards, Keith, Watkins Customer Service.

I just checked the serial number on my Grandee and it was GQ3D1453 and it appears it was built 3rd quarter 2002. I must have had my year wrong, so the Hartford loop may be the answer yet!

Hot Spring

Grandee

Built in the third quarter of 2002

• 6 years later...