Checking To See If I Got Shafted On A Purchase Of Hot Tub

phishfood

Hi Everybody!

Checking to get opinions. I've looked at hot tubs before. Given my budget and costs I had at some point came to the conclusion I was better off getting a small, high quality unit over a big, cheaper unit. That is pay for build quality and quality of jets. I went around and tried things and realized some cheap jets felt like getting hit with a garden hose (not fun).

Well I had set that in the back of my mind and went about tending to priorities of saving to build a new house rather than put money into existing one.

Anyway I was going along and found this pop up on one of those black friday when a deal comes up you can get it if you buy it in the next 15 seconds type things and bought a Coleman Rotomold. I know it's cheap, and I know it's made by Cal Spas which is, um, also cheap.

But basically I paid $1,699 including shipping. At it's retail price I would have said heck no it would be silly to not spend an extra $2k on a better maker.

So what do you think, is this a fair buy for $1699?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-Spas-6-Person-30-Jet-Lounger-Spa-with-Easy-Plug-N-Play-and-LED-Waterfalls-CO-R730L-A-C/204356592#.Up6wLcTa_U0

Or should I run, not walk, to cancel ASAP?

Also yes in my research prior I had acquainted myself with ongoing costs so I'm somewhat cognizant or things like recurring costs for chems, electricity, filters, replacement covers every 4-5 years, etc. (if this thing even lasts five years)

Not trying to be cheap. I didn't jump on it as a "that's all I can afford" thing - just a that for the current house situation spending more didn't make sense. I don't want to get a $5000 premium respray paint job on a 1998 Ford with 150000 miles on it.

Really no plan to spend any money but I saw it and said gee that seems cheap enough to add some pleasure to my life for the next year or two.

If you like the feel of a garden hose you'll be fine.

lol not really. I'm just hoping I'll either be pleasantly surprised (doubt it) or that with them all open and none closed they will be so weak as to not hurt but at the least make the water stir around a little for effect.

I'm going to try to find the most reputable dealer in the area, see if they work on cal spas/coleman, call cal spas and get a list of people they work with in area. Then if they seem nice and not jerks, ask them for quote to come out and help set up (maybe build pad), and try to establish some history where if I need warranty (get a factory dud) there's some relationship in place.

Original plan with new house was to go with the local company that's been in business for a while rather than try to "save" money. Still part of the plan for new house whenever that happens.

It's listed as having 40 jets, and a 2 BHP pump. BHP is Break Horse Power....the horse power of the pump at the brief moment it starts up. As for "true horse power", this equates to maybe 1.5HP. 1.5hp on 40 jets?

Ah, that's marketing. All the photos and line drawings show an image of the one with the optional 10-jet upgrade and 5hp motor. Try looking for an image of 30 jet model and you're not going to find it lol.

For $1700 I'll be happy if it can keep the water hot and make noise when the motor is turned on. Anything more will be a bonus. Not trying to fool myself into any great expectations :)

Can't see this thing selling for $3900 or $3100 (cal spas "dealer direct" website version)

Oh here we go, found proper line drawings and image of 30.

Looks like at least 12 are listed as "adjustable" so that means, assuming they're actually worth using, you could shut down say 6-10 of the "adjustable" ones. I'm guessing.

So you'd be left with the little pump powering 20-24 jets. I'm just guessing the "small" jets are just in an open position.

Plus I see they list a diverter valve.

91Iyb1b5D-L._SL1500_.jpg

Notice no "foot" jets on 30 jet model in lounge lol