Hot Tub Keeps Heating Even When Heater Is Off;

TracyL50

If you want to settle the issue of whether the problem with your tub is electrical or waste heat, pull the panels and insulation nearest the jet pumps so that any heat from them is NOT retained in the cabinet. Then use the tub a couple of times and report back what happens. I have a hard time believing that any Master product would overheat from waste heat, short of being in the Sahara desert, but it doesn't hurt to try this test and it will firm up any claim you have for a refund. If this does solve the overheating issue, the solution may be as simple as ducting motor exhaust to the outside of the cabinet.

This idea is something that Master should have tried in order to resolve your problem, but throwing up their hands and fluffing you off is typical behavior. I am not surprised.

John

This is may seem like a dumb question, but have you tried physically disconnecting the heater. Then run the spa and see what happens. That would be my first test.

Let me add to this question and explain what I found with my spa. First of all I do not have many years of experience with a spa. I got mine for free on Craigslist. I immediately had to put in a new controller (easypak 500) and re-skirted the entire tub (made it from wood siding) Fixed a few minor leaks, and I have a hot tub for a fraction of the cost.

Now my spa has been doing the same thing getting hotter a number of degrees past the set point. Here is what I found. The Easypak is mounted on the metal heater. The easypak itself seems to get hot when I run multiple 20 min cycles. The skirting is solid with no air vents. When I remove the panel by the service bay I can run without the temp climbing. Here are my options

• Take the easy pack and mount it somewhere else.
  • Put in air vents.
  • Put in air vents I can open and close.

I like option number 3 because come winter, I am going to want to recapture as much of that heat as possible.

Now I know yours is a new spa and not a re-design. But if you end up having to keep it this could be a fix.

OP1

I almost hate to say we (the Pro's) told you so, but this board is replete with the evidence. Master does not properly support their customers and they are getting worse, not better. Meanwhile, I am going out on another Master tomorrow to make money from another unsupported customer being left stranded.

John

there isn't many local dealers here where I live that is why I went with master spa. the dealer had a god rep. so I will see how good they are. the next dealer that is an hour away is maax so I liked the ES model but I cant find to much about them online. so when and if I get my money back I may go with that. but I'm not sure yet.. so ill keep looking around. I want to buy from a local dealer.

Try a different brand than Maxx

This is may seem like a dumb question, but have you tried physically disconnecting the heater. Then run the spa and see what happens. That would be my first test.

Let me add to this question and explain what I found with my spa. First of all I do not have many years of experience with a spa. I got mine for free on Craigslist. I immediately had to put in a new controller (easypak 500) and re-skirted the entire tub (made it from wood siding) Fixed a few minor leaks, and I have a hot tub for a fraction of the cost.

Now my spa has been doing the same thing getting hotter a number of degrees past the set point. Here is what I found. The Easypak is mounted on the metal heater. The easypak itself seems to get hot when I run multiple 20 min cycles. The skirting is solid with no air vents. When I remove the panel by the service bay I can run without the temp climbing. Here are my options

• Put in air vents.

I like option number 3 because come winter, I am going to want to recapture as much of that heat as possible.

Now I know yours is a new spa and not a re-design. But if you end up having to keep it this could be a fix.

OP1

the spa has vents in it. we also took off the panel and ran the jets and the temp still went up . so we have tried everything but discount the heater. and it runs for 15 mins then it starts to go up. I don't get it..

• Put in air vents.

OP1

the spa has vents in it. we also took off the panel and ran the jets and the temp still went up . so we have tried everything but discount the heater. and it runs for 15 mins then it starts to go up. I don't get it..

I almost hate to say we (the Pro's) told you so, but this board is replete with the evidence. Master does not properly support their customers and they are getting worse, not better. Meanwhile, I am going out on another Master tomorrow to make money from another unsupported customer being left stranded.

John

there isn't many local dealers here where I live that is why I went with master spa. the dealer had a god rep. so I will see how good they are. the next dealer that is an hour away is maax so I liked the ES model but I cant find to much about them online. so when and if I get my money back I may go with that. but I'm not sure yet.. so ill keep looking around. I want to buy from a local dealer.

Try a different brand than Maax

Maax isn't good? there isn't much where I live. ill have to look around to see what I can find, but to get a Jacuzzi are so much more money...

Maax isn't good? there isn't much where I live. ill have to look around to see what I can find, but to get a Jacuzzi are so much more money...

You obviously don't like the less expensive model. I would be spitting nails if I were having your problems with a new spa. My Hot Spring does rise in temp around 4* in an hour, but our temp is 90* - 95* down here, so I expect that. I keep my summer setting applied, so the circulation pump doesn't add any of the ambient temp during the hottest part of the day. Does yours have a summer setting that turns off everything during a certain period of the day? We keep our temp set on 92* in the summer so when we get in it in the evening, it's very refreshing and by the time we exit an hour or two later it's around 97 - 98*.

If you are that frustrated with yours, you may have to weigh in the extra dollars for a quality made and supported brand. Good luck.

I would really try running it with the heater disconnected just to make sure the heater is not being energized some how. I ran my unit with the heater completely disconnected and it still climbs in temperature. Come winter time this will not be such bad thing. It will actually be a good thing. Now, if I run it with the panel off the temperature climb is minimal. I've got some ideas for a fix on this and will report back if I do it.

OP1

Here is something I found in the manual of my spa pak

Since your spa will normally be expected to maintain warm to hot water to be ready
for your use, a great deal of attention has been directed to the energy conservation
detail of insulation so as to keep electrical costs down. This energy conservation
efficiency may be achieved by extensive insulation of the skirt, plumbing and spa
shell, and in some climates full foam insulation may have been provided.
This energy conservation feature may cause an inconvenience during warmer times
of the year. During warm periods of the year, the temperature within the equipment
compartment can elevate to a point that the pump will automatically turn off for a short
period of time (15-30 minutes) to allow the pump to cool down before automatically
restarting. This cool down feature will not harm your spa but serves only to protect the
pump from damage and as an indicator that it is too hot. To minimize this occurrence,
refrain from using your Hydrotherapy Jets for prolonged periods of time during warm
seasons.

I do not usually post but i could not resist. You really need to find a decent electrican or someone that knows alot about electrical to verify that the heater is coming on when it should. i feel you heater is coming on with other things. ie pump or pump statge 2. A person with the right electrical meter and a hours time will tell you exactly what is happening. your problem could be a number of things, but it may be as simple as a wire in the wrong place.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not usually post but i could not resist. You really need to find a decent electrican or someone that knows alot about electrical to verify that the heater is coming on when it should. i feel you heater is coming on with other things. ie pump or pump statge 2. A person with the right electrical meter and a hours time will tell you exactly what is happening. your problem could be a number of things, but it may be as simple as a wire in the wrong place.

they say the heater is working fine. and its under warranty so if I have someone else mess with it will void it . im trying to fight them. but I don't know what kind of lawyer to get. and is it going to cost more in lawyer fees then the hot tub. .. I feel screwed..

so since they the service guy says he never seen a hot tub increase its heat that much, he agrees there is something is wrong with it. so neither master spa or orange county pool and spa of Middletown NY will refund my money when the know there is something is wrong with the tub. so I filed a complaint with the BBB and leaving reviews. if you go to this web sight you will see a short video, and what my husband and I wrote up. https://plus.google.com/112957567522990447720/posts/ZvUv9aHCk41 thank you all for you feed back. and if anyone can tell me what kind of lawyer to get or the best way to take legal action ..