Spa Hook-Up

How much does a car cost? How much to paint a house? Seriously, it depends on what's involved. I've done them for a couple hundred dollars, and I bid one at over $20,000 (that was in the middle of a grape "orchard", with the closest electrical supply over 1/4 mile away).

It's right next to the house. And the breaker box inside the house is only about 10 feet away from it. I think it's 230V - 50amp. No more than 20 feet of wire would be needed. I guess I will need some conduit. I don't know what else I would need. I was more or less asking if I really have to pay $175 for a GFI, or are there cheaper options.

It's right next to the house. And the breaker box inside the house is only about 10 feet away from it. I think it's 230V - 50amp. No more than 20 feet of wire would be needed. I guess I will need some conduit. I don't know what else I would need. I was more or less asking if I really have to pay $175 for a GFI, or are there cheaper options.

No one really will want to throw a number out without seeing your situation but it soudsn like you won't be hit too hard.

BTW, spas like Hot Spring and Caldera come with the GFCI subpanel included with the spa. Shop for your spa and then when you know what you want ask the dealer about what the electrical requirements are and get a copy of the schematic the elctrian can use. That way you can get with the elctrician and have him quote on exctly what you need.

Well, he won't hook that particular box up if you have a 30 amp, 40 amp or a 60 amp tub, or if your tub requires two breakers. No one here can offer definitive advice without knowing the year, make and model of your tub. Hot Spring Ace has already mentioned a couple of brands that require two GFCI breakers on their larger tubs. Other potential problem areas include conductor selection, as many brands now require minimum 90 C conductors and I am now seeing in limited cases a requirement for 105 C conductors.

John

• 10 months later...

The person who did mine is an electrician. I bought all of the parts needed to go from my Main breaker to the exact 60 amp sub panel box that was pictured above from Home Depot ($75). The connectors were about $20. The wiring was $100.00 for 50 ft of cable to run up the wall and over to the wall where he mounted it outside about 2 ft from the patio I just had poured specifically for the hot tub. It wasn't as easy as if the box wuld have been on the same wall, but, through the tiny attic space to take the cable over, cutting through, and installing, it took hours. Then you pay for the time of the electrician. Since it was a very good friend, I paid $100, but they usually make $20-30 an hour, at least. So, just preparring for the tub I haven't purchased yet, I have spent $3400 on a concrete walk way and patio and about $325 on the electric. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to pick either the Sundance Optima or the Aspen. I was quoted a price for the 2013 Aspen, delivered, It seemed a bit high, I was hoping someone would tell more about what to pay or keep shopping at another dealer. No one replied, I was really hoping for some pricing advice, so if someone sees this, is $14,888.00 a bit high for a 2013 Aspen w/stereo delivered taxes etc. ?

Thanks I hope I was helpful for you.

I had a guy hook mine up yesterday. He charged me $400 for labor and parts. I was in the process of putting 12" of water in the spa to flush out the anti-freeze per the instructions, when to my not so much surprise, Murphy's Law visited me once again. I had a leak. Looks like the main pipe was cracked. Now I've never put water in the spa and have never even got to use it. I bought it new 1 1/2 years ago, and I know people are going to tell me I'm stupid (and maybe I am). But someone from Strong told me that as long as I didn't put water in it, I should be fine for the pipes not freezing. I had so many projects going on at once, that by the time I was ready to have it hooked up, I was out of funds and had to wait. Now wondering if they are going to put their top customer support (as advertised) to work for me, or if they will hose me. I know from now on, I'm not buying ANYTHING ahead of time, until I know I will be able to complete the project right away.