Arctic Onzen Ch Recommendation Of Zero

jmgodfr

So arctic onzen guide recommends CH of Zero with onzen. I've been reading water balance guide and see CH recommended at 100+. I've been fighting ph issues but have finally got it pretty stable with TA of 50. Will be adding my borates next. Just wondering what you water experts think of the Arctic recommended parameters. I also have ozone in addition to the SWG.

My Numbers

PH. 7.5-7.6

TA 50-55

CH 60

Sodium 1800 ppm

Arctic Onzen Recomended

Calcium hardness maximum of 50 ppm (0 preferred)

Alkalinity 80 and 120 ppm

pH 7.0 and 7.6

Thanks for all the hard work and info you all put into this forum.

CH of 0 is to prevent scaling of the salt cell. Nothing wrong with it if you can achieve it and the spa is not fiberglass or plaster. Only reason to have a higher CH in an acrylic spa is to help prevent foaming since soft water will foam more readily than harder water.

Kind of what I figured - so many different MFG recommendations out there, I was trying to follow the MFG recommendation of TA-100, if I did that I was on the dreaded roller coaster. Since I found all the good info on this site and got my water adjusted per the recommendations and added my borates, it has held stable for 2 weeks now, stayed clear and soft. Tub is an Arctic Norwegian 600 gallons, it gets used daily by the two of us sometimes 2-3 times a day for about 30-40 minutes at a time and wife is loving the water now. I've been able to just run with the SWG for a total of 6 hours a day and Ozone for 5 (Arctic has 4 cycle times per day 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, 18:00) so those total run times get spread out. FC consistently stays 2.5-4, with CC between .3-.4, but there is no smell or irritation so not worrying about the small amount of CC at this time.

So the net/net - I've kind of tossed the MFG recommendations out, except for the Salt amount, focused on the recommendations on this site and my water quality has gone up dramatically and I haven't had to add a thing to it in almost 2 weeks. I do test it everyday at the same time for PH and Chlorine and things pretty much are the same on a daily basis..

Current Numbers

FC-2.8

CC-.3-.4

TA 45-50 (Arctic recommends 80-100)

PH 7.4 - takes about 5 days with multiple use to reach 7.6

CH 60 - (Arctic onzen guide says 50-100 but there is an addendum on the back that says 50 with zero preferred) figure I'm close enough so I ain't gonna mess with it.

CYA - 25 (Started at zero, I had used DICHLOR boost a few times) - but since I got my PH in line it has been almost 2 weeks with no need to boost)

Salt 1800

Temp 100 F

So again - thanks to all of you that provide your expertise and knowledge on this site - since following the advice - I've got a very enjoyable pretty much no fuss Hot Tub experience.