Is A Taylor K-1004 Kit Useful For Anything?

cwb27

The K-1004 has the same TA test as in the K-2006. The pH test in the K-1004 has a broader range but spaced out more (technically, it's just the comparator tube that has these characteristics -- the pH reagent is the same in both test kits [EDIT] WRONG! Read waterbear's post below [END-EDIT]). The chlorine test is a DPD test which isn't particularly useful since you'll have the far superior FAS-DPD in the K-2006. The other chlorine test that can be useful is the OTO chlorine test in the K-1000 because it doesn't bleach out and can give a quick visual assessment -- not accurately, but double-checking to see if the chlorine level is really high (with FAS-DPD you may get a "flash of pink" if the chlorine level is high and will need to add more powder to get a sustained color).

So I suppose you can use the TA reagents in the K-1004 and you can go between the two pH tests to see which you prefer or just use up the K-1004 first. Unfortunately, the indicator dyes are the reagents that don't last as long, though you can usually go 2 years if you keep them in a cool dark place even though Taylor recommends replacement every year.

The K-1004 has the same TA test as in the K-2006. The pH test in the K-1004 has a broader range but spaced out more (technically, it's just the comparator tube that has these characteristics -- the pH reagent is the same in both test kits).

The pH reagents are NOT the same! The K-1004 uses R-0014 and the small pH comparator tube. The K-2106 uses R-0004 and the LARGE (44 ml) pH tube which has a higher resolution! You have to use the correct reagent with the correct comparator.

You are right and I actually went to the Taylor website before I wrote my post, but misread the components. The K-1004 is like the K-1000 and uses the smaller sample size and reagent that goes along with it. I guess that's part of what separates the 1000 series from the 2000 series. Thanks for catching that. I'll put an edit in my post to prevent anyone from reading that incorrectly.

• 9 months later...

Where can you get the K-2006(2106) kits in Canada? I asked Taylor's Canadian distributor (Lowry) and the directed me to a Pool Shoppe that sells the K-1004 kit saying that it is suitable for a SPA using Bromine. Would you agree?

it is ok but you would be better served by the K-2106 and you can get it in Canada from Piscines Apollo Pools in Montreal (and they sell mailorder all over Canada). They are a good company and carry the Taylor line, including refill reagents and accessories and also have a borate test kit add on for the K-2006/K-2106 exclusive to them.