Installing Solar Heater, Can You Verify My Setup Is Okay?

Hey folks,

Just got an 18x32 pool put in a couple weeks ago, and getting ready to install a solar heater on the roof now. We have the Hayward full computer controlled system. My plan is to put a 3 way valve on the outline from the pump. One position from the valve going straight up to the roof,.. through the panels and back down to the return for the pool. The other valve position will be a direct return to the pool. I'll have a GVA24 actuator on the valve so the Hayward system will automatically redirect at certain temps. My question is this,.. can I just use this 3 way valve for this application,... or will the pressure be too much when the actuator is turning the valve from one position to another.

If this is the case,... I would run a 2 way... straight on/off valve on the direct return line side of the system that would close to force the water up into the solar panels, and use a couple check valves to keep everything flowing right.

If my first way okay, or would I be better off going with the second ( and slightly more expensive ) option.

Thanks in advance :)

Send the water to the roof after the filter, not after the pump. Any debris to the roof will kill the panels.

Plumb the first way, Put a check valve after the filter and before the solar valve and another check valve on the line coming back from the panels before it dumps into main line return. See high tec drawing below.

hitecdrawing.jpg