Sounds Like I Have A Bad Pump

Broke down and had someone come out and look at my tub. Over the phone they said there was a bad pump and would cost 499 for parts and 2 hours labor. So roughly 800-1000 for everything. The pump and jets were running fine with no abnormal sounds. The only problem was a fuse that would blow after a few hours of running. I can't help but think there is something less expensive than this. Any thoughts? I will check the paperwork later and give more info on what was up.

Thought #1, pay by credit card....if the fuse continues to blow with the new pump, you can probably dispute the charges with the credit card company and get your money back :-)

Thought #2, find someone that can properly diagnose, rather than guess (no matter how educated) what the problem is.

So it looks like he listed the primary motor blowing the fuse on the circuit board. Does this sound right? When I first was having the problems, the motor and pump ran fine. Only after a few hours would the fuse blow. I also noticed he didn't put the capacitor back into the tub either. Which makes me wonder if he even has the right diagnosis. Now, when I put the capacitor back on and flip on the breaker, that kills immediately. Nothing on this hot tub is making any sense.

Two hours to replace a pump?

You can simply buy a 20 dollar amp clamp to check the amp draw. If it's blowing fuses, it probably is the pump, and it's probably much louder than it used to be. Either that, or there's some overheated wiring.

BTW- when you say fuse, you mean an actual fuse, that must be replaced? Not simply a tripped GFCI that need only be reset?

Two hours to replace a pump?

You can simply buy a 20 dollar amp clamp to check the amp draw. If it's blowing fuses, it probably is the pump, and it's probably much louder than it used to be. Either that, or there's some overheated wiring.

BTW- when you say fuse, you mean an actual fuse, that must be replaced? Not simply a tripped GFCI that need only be reset?

Well at first just the GFCI was tripping after a few hours of running. Eventually the fuse on the main circuit board would blow. After someone looked at it (i wasn't there at the time), now the GFCI will just keep tripping the minute I set it.

Hopefully just a bad capacitor on the pump- Is there a motor repair shop near you? If the bearings are in good physical shape, there's a solid chance it's an inexpensive repair... but most spa places don't re-build motors.

Not likely given a history of GFCI trips as well. I'd test the motor windings with a megger. This is starting to sound more like a winding problem.

John