Thermal Blankets?

Guest mjs

I'm starting to look ahead to next winter. I intend to keep my hot tub going and enjoy it year 'round, but also want to save costs where it makes sense.

Recently, I've seen ads for floating thermal blankets that you would use in addition to a regular cover.

While I can see this may save a little in heating costs, doesn't it reduce the effectiveness of you tub's fitration system, especially the skimmer feature?

Any comments or thoughts?

I cut mine around my skimmer so it has no affect on it. Sanitizer stays in the water longer, underside of the cover last's longer in addition to the couple bucks a month energy savings.

Guest hottub.pool_boy

skimmers are essential for swimming pools were debris falls in all the time. blanket does help. you can also face your equipment door with kraft-face insulation on the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

There are different theories on how a floating cover (thermal blanket) should be cut in order to function properly. Some poeple cut it to fit inside the water line. I recommend to have it go to the OUTER edge of the spa so when your hard cover is placed on top it will hold in in place around the edges. This will serve many purposes.

Acts as the extra insulater it is supposed to be because it will help stop a lot of evaporation around the edges of the water line.

Will help protect your hard cover and help extend the hard covers life time. The "ring around the hard cover" on the inside leads to water penetration and eventually water-logging the hard cover rendering it useless and amazingly heavy! This happens when the floating cover is cut to the inside water line as recommended by some manufacturers! Hard cover approx $300/ floating cover approx $20= easier and cheaper to replace floating cover!

The hard cover "sandwiching" the floating cover around the edge of the spa will stop it from bunching up when the spa goes through it's daily testing routine and stops the filter area from being blocked.

There are different theories on how a floating cover (thermal blanket) should be cut in order to function properly. Some poeple cut it to fit inside the water line. I recommend to have it go to the OUTER edge of the spa so when your hard cover is placed on top it will hold in in place around the edges. This will serve many purposes.

Maybe not a viable option for those of us who use a cover shelf though, or have only access to a couple of sides. But the idea does make alot of sense if it is possible to do with your instalation.

Maybe not a viable option for those of us who use a cover shelf though, or have only access to a couple of sides. But the idea does make alot of sense if it is possible to do with your instalation.

Do you mean a cover shelf like the two bars mounted to the outside of the spa skirt that are meant to hold the hardcover like a shelf off to the side? If so, it shoud still work. One of the biggest pains about the floating cover that I've heard from people is that it's a little awkward to use when your exited to get into your spa. Yanking it off the top of the water and bunching it up in a crumpled pile to the side and then wrestling with it to get it back on can be more work than any body wants to do and that makes it harder for people to use this important accesssory! Ibelieve there is an easy way to remove and replace the blue bubble blanket that may work with the cover shelf also.

If you stand at one side of the spa and begin rolling the floating cover like a long tube(similar to rolling up a poster) then you can set the tube off to the side while using the spa. When you're ready to put the blanket back, you can flip it out like a bed sheet and it should unroll right into place. It takes a little practice to make it unroll perfectly but is a fun trick and may help with the specific application of the cover shelf mechanism. All of this can be done from one side of the spa. Please let me know what you think.

Do you mean a cover shelf like the two bars mounted to the outside of the spa skirt that are meant to hold the hardcover like a shelf off to the side? . Please let me know what you think.

Yes I do mean that kind of shelf, because you are sliding the hard cover across the top edge of your tub the thermal blanket be it blue bubble type or foam type as I use will be pushed by the hard cover right off. And I only have access to 2 sides of my tub, the other 2 are to high off the ground and surrounded by railing to access. You would have to see a picture to understand. But if you are using a lifter that sets the cover down on the top lip cutting it long to sit on this lip is a good idea for the extra seal.[attachmentid=1]

post-8-1128419315_thumb.jpg

Still lookin' good Roger - after all these years....

So. Did you snap that photo from the top of the Garage? And if so, did the kids see you do it? And if so, did it give them the idea that they could do cannonballs into the tub?

Just wonderin'

Still lookin' good Roger - after all these years....

So. Did you snap that photo from the top of the Garage? And if so, did the kids see you do it? And if so, did it give them the idea that they could do cannonballs into the tub?

Just wonderin'

Ummm actualy if you knew my boys, they would think the garage wasn't high enough. So they would go from the house which is even closer and almost twice as high!! They are now both grown up 17 almost 18 and 16 almost 17 so cannonballs is far from there mind. Seems the only thing that fits into there heads is hunting, fishing, trucks not cars and girls in that order, I think?

Been a little over 4 years now with my GL hot tub and though we don't use it as much as we used to we still enjoy it and it has been trouble free but for a few minor items easiely repaired by me. The access has been perfect and if I had to do it all over again I would do only a couple things different, get a bigger tub, maybe think about a room for it. Seen some fabulous ideas and have helped build some great spaces for tubs and more in the last few years and my head is spinning with ideas. My neighbor converted one of his garages into a hot tub/bar/excersise/entertaining room with the coolest glass roof and tile, yes sir-re.

post-8-1128457832_thumb.jpg

Ummm actualy if you knew my boys, they would think the garage wasn't high enough. So they would go from the house which is even closer and almost twice as high!! They are now both grown up 17 almost 18 and 16 almost 17 so cannonballs is far from there mind. Seems the only thing that fits into there heads is hunting, fishing, trucks not cars and girls in that order, I think?

16 and 17 years... not quite sure what order the interests are in, but remembering my highschool days, I'd say girls may be higher up on the list~ :)

Beautiful picture of your spa! I can see how that would be difficult to use the thermal blanket with the alcove that your sets in. Definately something to keep in mind for future accessability and cover lifting ease while the ideas are mulling around for your next spa. I'm not as familiar with the foam one, but in some applications (with the bubble one) the rolling technique would work.

Don't ruin it for me Amanda!!

Oh and thanks.

:wub:

Sorry bout that shocker! :lol:

Oh, and your welcome! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

We don't need/use floating blankets here in paradise -average temp is 72 degrees year 'round - but I have seen some types of cover leashes - you can fasten the floater to the top with an adjustable-lenth strap or two so it all folds off together. Seems like it would be very handy.

Saw it from Roberts, but they might be available on other sites.

IPB Image

Saw it from Roberts, but they might be available on other sites.

IPB Image

Thanks for the plug. I think. Wanna become a distributor? So far, the only other place that has them is the distributor CSD, and they ordered their first 10 about a week ago............ I'm beginning to get a bit disappointed on the line of cover accessories I came up........... not to mention the time I put into designing the packaging...

oooooooooooo, that reminds me. I gotta design the labeling for the new hurricane straps.

Thanks for the plug. I think. Wanna become a distributor? So far, the only other place that has them is the distributor CSD, and they ordered their first 10 about a week ago............ I'm beginning to get a bit disappointed on the line of cover accessories I came up........... not to mention the time I put into designing the packaging...

oooooooooooo, that reminds me. I gotta design the labeling for the new hurricane straps.

I am still trying to patent my "Number 10 Weight".

I don't get it Jim - could you explain please?

I don't get it Jim - could you explain please?

Back in the "good old days", a master technician, would send the apprentice over to another master, and tell the apprentice to go to se "Joe" for a "number ten weight".

When the apprentice arrived, the master, would get up and walk away, telling the apprentice to wait right there. After ten minutes he'd come back and tell the apprentice to go that his "number ten weight was done".

OK. Thank you Jim.