2004 Sundance Optima Showing "oh" But Everything Else Still Cool?

Tech Tonics

I have a used 2004 Sundance Optima. I've owned it only for a few months and it's been great.

It's showing OH but the temp is at 102, and I believe it (was just in it and definately NOT 112-118).

the circ pump is running (can't get it to stop...even if the desired temp lowers down to the 90's.)

some other things to consider:

-this AM I noticed steam (thought it could've been smoke even) POURING from the tub, and I could hear the pump running. By the time I put on my shoes and went out there it had stopped. I did not notice if it was reading OH at that time.

-when I was just in it (102) I was sitting down in the foot-well of the tub...when the port that the hot water comes out got REALLY hot. so hot it made me jump out of the way.

-I put a bromine tab in it this AM and did notice any issue then.

-I live in a high altitude and fairly cold climate (durango, co)

What should I do? anything?

thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

First off the filter has nothing to do with your problem contact me I can help premierhottubs@etcmail.com

Didn't know if it did or not, but it would explain the water getting really hot, it happened to me once, and the water started to boil and tripped my heater reset. No one else had replied so I figured it was worth a shot.

I have a 2005 Optima so it's probably the same basic hot tub you have. The Circ pump running all the time is normal in Standard vs Economy mode, but it can be set to not run all the time. I don't know what the OH means, but here in Ohio we would answer IO. Sorry, but couldn't pass that up.

I had some strange displays on mine the other day and I just turned off the circuit breaker and back on and it went to normal display. You can set how often the hot tub automatically circulates and for how long. Mine comes on at 8:00 am and pm and at Noon each day and stays on for about 20 minutes. The 8:00 ones just run the one pump and Noon runs both.

Look at the Owners manual for instructions on how to set everything. If you don't have one I'm sure you can find it online. Mine does pump fairly hot water for a short time, but not so hot you can not touch it so not sure what the deal is on that.

I have a 2005 Optima so it's probably the same basic hot tub you have. The Circ pump running all the time is normal in Standard vs Economy mode, but it can be set to not run all the time. I don't know what the OH means, but here in Ohio we would answer IO. Sorry, but couldn't pass that up.

I had some strange displays on mine the other day and I just turned off the circuit breaker and back on and it went to normal display. You can set how often the hot tub automatically circulates and for how long. Mine comes on at 8:00 am and pm and at Noon each day and stays on for about 20 minutes. The 8:00 ones just run the one pump and Noon runs both.

Look at the Owners manual for instructions on how to set everything. If you don't have one I'm sure you can find it online. Mine does pump fairly hot water for a short time, but not so hot you can not touch it so not sure what the deal is on that.

Mr. JIM K does your 05 optima have a waterfall on it?

I just looked at my manual and OH does means the tub thinks it is overheated. Solution says to 1. Reduce thermostat setting. 2. Reduce skimming/heating cycle length. Even with heater off water temperature can increase from prolonged pump operation.

I guess mine is a 2004 or older. The Owner's Manual I have is dated 2003 on the back. The guy I bought it off of said it was a 2005, but maybe that's just the year he bought it. Not a big deal to me since it's in great shape and works great.

I have changed the heater in mine due to a leak and it was not that hard to do, but not sure that is your problem. I would try resetting all the cycles and see what that does. I find the manual a little hard to understand on how to do it though to be honest. The manual seems to focus more on ones that have an Audio System and mine does not.

If I can help you understand how to do the settings let me know and I will do my best.

I just looked at my manual and OH does means the tub thinks it is overheated. Solution says to 1. Reduce thermostat setting. 2. Reduce skimming/heating cycle length. Even with heater off water temperature can increase from prolonged pump operation.

I guess mine is a 2004 or older. The Owner's Manual I have is dated 2003 on the back. The guy I bought it off of said it was a 2005, but maybe that's just the year he bought it. Not a big deal to me since it's in great shape and works great.

I have changed the heater in mine due to a leak and it was not that hard to do, but not sure that is your problem. I would try resetting all the cycles and see what that does. I find the manual a little hard to understand on how to do it though to be honest. The manual seems to focus more on ones that have an Audio System and mine does not.

If I can help you understand how to do the settings let me know and I will do my best.

I am 90% sure the problem with the tub is a temp sensor thats why I tried to have him contact me so I can ask more questions over the phone but I have not heard from him.

Maybe he can't find his thread becasue of all the crap on this board. It's a shame that this board gets hit so bad with spam. The Water Chemistry board does not get near as much.

What you are saying makes sense, the tub water is actually 102, but it thinks it's more than that.

• 9 years later...

OH  could be low water flow  remove your filter and run it

Mine had the OH  turned out to be  the ozone injector I replaced was too small and not enough water flow

could be temp sensor in your filter box  they can be tested with multi meter  could be the hi limit in your heater (not as likely)