Motor Running But Not Pump

Gouie

Hello everyone, well, my battle continues with this unit. I swear every time an issue creeps up my first reaction is to call a moving truck and have it hauled away! Well, then I relax in it with a glass of wine and all is fine until the next issue.

Went to turn it up last night and there was a warning referring to an overheat of the water. The water temp was quite cool so it was obvious at that point I either had a bad temperature sensor or the pump wasn't pushing water. Turns out it's the latter. The motor runs but there is no pump action. I've cracked into the guts once again and can confirm that it should not be an air lock issue. I've loosened both "valves" at the pump and water escapes immediately, no air. It could very well be a seized pump but I was hoping to get any advice or direction from this group before draining the water and removing the motor/pump. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

As always, I value your input as this group has maintained my sanity as my fight continues.

Hello everyone, well, my battle continues with this unit. I swear every time an issue creeps up my first reaction is to call a moving truck and have it hauled away! Well, then I relax in it with a glass of wine and all is fine until the next issue.

Went to turn it up last night and there was a warning referring to an overheat of the water. The water temp was quite cool so it was obvious at that point I either had a bad temperature sensor or the pump wasn't pushing water. Turns out it's the latter. The motor runs but there is no pump action. I've cracked into the guts once again and can confirm that it should not be an air lock issue. I've loosened both "valves" at the pump and water escapes immediately, no air. It could very well be a seized pump but I was hoping to get any advice or direction from this group before draining the water and removing the motor/pump. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

As always, I value your input as this group has maintained my sanity as my fight continues.

well, first, are your sure the pump is turning? If possible, you can remove a small round "plug" on the very back of the motor, and actually view if its turning or not. If its turning and no water is moving, then its the pump (impeller broken, siezed, obstructed, air locked etc...) If it is not turning, then either the pump is keeping it from turning, OR you have a capacitor problem, best case. Worst case, motor is bad and needs replacing.

Appreciate the response.

The pump is definitely not turning, it is trying as I can hear it but no go. I removed the front cover to the impeller to confirm. My next thought was to remove the impeller to rule it out as a possibility but after snapping two flat headed screw drivers its not coming off under my power. I'm curious about the capacitor comment, where is it located? Any easy way of testing it? It looks like I'm in the market for a new motor/pump. Unfortunately for us Canadians that comes with a $500-$600 price tag. If I had the time I'd order one but it seems as though I only run into these problems mid-winter. I have a space heater in the cabinet at the moment hoping to buy some time until I can figure this out.

It is not uncommon for an impeller to break, or, in extreme (1%-2%)cases, I have seen motor shafts twist off right at the threads, then the motor turns, but the impeller does not.

If you can see the motor shaft turning, but no water moves, does the pump, when the power is shut off stop immediately, or does it take a few seconds to coast to a stop?

If it coasts to a stop, there is no resistance from the impeller, and if, as you say, ample water is present, then you have an impeller/pump shaft issue.

If your pump stops immediately, then look for a blockage either in the face (inlet side) of the impeller, or in one of your shutoff valves.

I can see the shaft of the motor but and it is not turning. The pump is/was full of water when I disconnected it so I assume there is no blockage at the gates. I've pulled the front plate to the pump off and can't see any physical damage to the fins. I'm not sure how "easy" it should be to turn the motor over manually but it is taking a lot of effort. There is a point in the revolution that it will not spin further. Other than a broken fin, is there there anything in the makeup of the pump itself that would seize, i.e. a bearing? At this point I suspect it is the motor but my plan is to take it in and have them assess it. I replaced the wet end about a year ago due to a leaking seal. I wonder if I was too late in finding it and the corrosion has finally seized the bearings.

How old is the pump? They do just simply wear out.

To close the loop here guys, I brought the pump into the local dealer and after a 4 second look the assessment was a seized motor. As I suspected I didn't get to the leaking pump quick enough last year. I should have replaced both the wet and dry end at that time but thought I could save a buck or two. What's painful is the tub is just over 4 years old, blown fuzes, replacement circuit board, a wet end and now the entire pump in under 12 months has be second guessing things.

I do appreciate all of your help. Just one more issue to resolve with the ozonator and I'm back to square one!

To close the loop here guys, I brought the pump into the local dealer and after a 4 second look the assessment was a seized motor. As I suspected I didn't get to the leaking pump quick enough last year. I should have replaced both the wet and dry end at that time but thought I could save a buck or two. What's painful is the tub is just over 4 years old, blown fuzes, replacement circuit board, a wet end and now the entire pump in under 12 months has be second guessing things.

I do appreciate all of your help. Just one more issue to resolve with the ozonator and I'm back to square one!

A seized motor is typically just bad bearings, and they can be replaced. Most spa retailers don't rebuild pumps, other than replacing a shaft seal or other minor repair. You might want to get a second opinion from a business that rebuilds pumps. Puling the front and rear bearings, and replacing will be around 30 bucks plus labor- and you're going to replace the shaft seal while you're in there.

If you've already gone through a couple of wet-ends, it sounds like water chemistry is an issue for you- don't over-sanitize, and don't let your PH get too low.

I'll definitly keep that in mind. Looking at the motor that was replaced, there's a lot of build up on the front plate as a result of the leaking pump a few months ago. If it were summer I'd be much more comfortable taking the time to have it rebuilt.

Regarding the chemistry, I try to keep my chlorine levels between 3 - 5, is that a good target or would you suggest I drop it?

I can see the shaft of the motor but and it is not turning. The pump is/was full of water when I disconnected it so I assume there is no blockage at the gates. I've pulled the front plate to the pump off and can't see any physical damage to the fins. I'm not sure how "easy" it should be to turn the motor over manually but it is taking a lot of effort. There is a point in the revolution that it will not spin further. Other than a broken fin, is there there anything in the makeup of the pump itself that would seize, i.e. a bearing? At this point I suspect it is the motor but my plan is to take it in and have them assess it. I replaced the wet end about a year ago due to a leaking seal. I wonder if I was too late in finding it and the corrosion has finally seized the bearings.

Always always always replace the bearings when the seal leaks. I will bump my old pump rebuild thread as soon as I can find it.

Here ya go

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33740