Hot Tub Cover Issue

masanori

I had my cover replaced this week. I bought my hottub Dec 2010. The cover took on water and became very heavy. My dealer came out to replace the cover. I was not at home when it was installed (my first mistake).The new cover is from the same company as my last cover which was only 9 months old. I come home to see the new cover was installed. The cover however was a different color :angry: The dealer also had to move both front clips in order for the cover to fit :angry: Now I have 6 screw holes in my Amore bay.I called Sunstar the cover manufacturer and they claim no changes to the cover was made and its exact specs from D1. So it looks like a defective cover was installed and my dealer just went ahead and drill some new holes into the tub. I am angry over this. Am I overreacting or would this not be acceptable. Either way I have 6 screw holes in the front of my Amore.

A couple drops of super glue in the holes in synthetic panels can make the holes shrink shut, on a Marquis or D1 you can replace entire panels.

I was told be D1 that that they would not replace the panels. They said if I cut a small piece from the bottom of the skirt and the melt it. It will be less visable.

I don't know if you meant D1 said it wasn't a warranty issue, which is correct, or that the panel the holes are in is not removable, which is possible, many manufacturers do not have 100% removable sides.

At any rate, I think the dealer screwed up X2, wrong color should have been a no-brainer, don't install it until the customer approves, then making new holes ....

Well, it is sad really most hot tub stores have substandard service help.

I don't know if you meant D1 said it wasn't a warranty issue, which is correct, or that the panel the holes are in is not removable, which is possible, many manufacturers do not have 100% removable sides.

At any rate, I think the dealer screwed up X2, wrong color should have been a no-brainer, don't install it until the customer approves, then making new holes ....

Well, it is sad really most hot tub stores have substandard service help.

[/quote

D1 said it was not a warranty issue. Yes your right it sad.In the end I have 14k hot tub with screw holes

The dealer should be the one handling it, they screwed it up, not the manufacturer

I agree 100% The dealer who installed this cover is also the owner. I cant get too mad at him because he is the only service for D1 in my area. FYI he also left the old cover at my house. I only called D1 too see if it was warranty issue.

Masanori,

Sorry to hear the problem,,, sounds like the dealer let you down, not D1, Are you sure he replaced it with a Sunstar and not a different manufacturer, when i order in replacement covers we have a local company that makes covers, when i order i spec out the skirt length , the location of the straps and locks and such.... But like D1 said you take a little piece and melt it ... i jhave done before. i have also filled with colored wood filler. not perfect but helps,,, good luck . If you got any questions just like before let me know...

I called my dealer and left a message that I am not happy. Also called sunstar and they tell me no changes have been made to the cover. So it seems the cover was made wrong. Sunstar pointed the finger at my dealer for installing the cover. I agree with that. lets see if my dealer calls today

I would be more upset that the cover only lasted 9 months, guess what you'll be doing it all over again in another 9 months. i cant understand why they continue to build such a critical component using this poor design. they spend so much time designing new models, jets, lights, sound some of which might rarely be used but nothing on the cover which is used every time. I find it unacceptable that this industry thinks it is ok to have its customer shell out hundreds of dollars to replace their cover. At best these covers are only good for 3 years at $600 thats $15 per month, think about it.

I would be more upset that the cover only lasted 9 months, guess what you'll be doing it all over again in another 9 months. i cant understand why they continue to build such a critical component using this poor design. they spend so much time designing new models, jets, lights, sound some of which might rarely be used but nothing on the cover which is used every time. I find it unacceptable that this industry thinks it is ok to have its customer shell out hundreds of dollars to replace their cover. At best these covers are only good for 3 years at $600 thats $15 per month, think about it.

The cover was no charge to me. It was under warranty. I dont know how much the two front panels cost. So this might cost me alot

You're assuming that EVERY cover they build lasts only 9 months?????

Dude, on occasion some things fail prematurely...and in this case, it being replaced free of charge under warranty.

in addition, right at this moment, I have a guy on hold that is wanting to replace a cover he got from us...he bought the last one in 2000 (I believe it was $299.95), and the new one is going to cost him $319.95.... by my calculations, that's $2.27 a month

I would beleive that to be a very rare case, 12 years?? i have my doubts about this. Your use styrofoam so does every other cover. you wrap your foam in plastic so does every other cover. you cover it in vinyl so does every other cover. Same design. Maybe slightly better materials but that is all. so to say that your cover lasts 4x longer than other covers i can't beleive it.

12 years is a bit unusual.. but 8 to 9 years is not. Frequently people get mad because our records don't go that far back and they can't simply "reorder" what they got before.

We, like everyone else, wrap the foam in "plastic". However, there are different thickness of "plastic" and different ways of sealing it. It make a difference in the lifespan.

We, like everyone else, cover it in vinyl. However, there are many MANY different qualities of vinyl. It make a difference in the lifespan.

Same design? While it might look the same visually, there are some differences. And it makes a difference in the lifespan.

The key with ANY cover though, is to properly care for it. Keep it clean, apply a protectant, and most importantly don't allow it to be degraded by chemical abuse.

Average lifespan for a quality cover is 5 to 7 years, for one to go 12 is well, unheard of.

It makes a huge difference on the water chemistry too, excessive Chlorine or Bromine levels will rapidly degrade the underside of the cover and the plastic that protects the foam.

Exposure to direct sunlight is hard on pretty much everything, so spas in gazebos usually have better cover life.

Cover lifts, when properly installed, keep covers from being dropped and slid around, and lengthen cover lifespan.

Not all vinyl is equal ad Dr Spa pointed out, and keeping stuff like Armour All and Formula 409 away from it is a good idea, 303 protectant is a good investment.

http://www.autogeek.net/303.html?gclid=CJHsnPHLxqsCFRdTgwodXgHn0g