On The Brink Of Buying D1 Amore Bay. Feedback On Price And Other Suggestions?

Spiffydave

I'm brand new to the forum, though I've read a lot here for the past few days and the info has been invaluable. Thank you everyone who posts here!

We are first time spa buyers and were looking to build a pool to go with a new home we're building but have instead decided a spa would be more cost effective and maybe even more enjoyable. We are a married couple with a 15 and 11 year old at home. We are both over six feet and getting something that fit us well has been difficult, so the adjustable head rests in the D1 line seem like a plus.

We've looked at Sundance, Maax, Bullfrog, Caldera, and Dimension One spas over the past week or two and have thought we would be buying in the $6k - $7k range, buying a mid-line spa. We considered a California Cooperage and a D1 @Home in that price range - both places were running Fair package specials.

Today, however, the D1 dealer showed us a Amore Bay spa that had been shown at the fair and was filled with water (with no bathers) and is being sold as a demo with full warranty. They are pricing it at $12,995 with full stairs, cover, setup, chemicals, etc.

Is this a good price? They show retail as $15,495.

What we like about the Amore Bay is:

- quality filtration system

- shell material and feel

- good warranty

- excellent local dealer

- open seating on one end for family & friends

- big open feel(almost pool like)

- fun bells and whistles with water and lighting

We don't have any "ailments" we're trying to treat and my wife isn't going to care about the absolute most powerful jets since she turns down our low flow showerhead from 2.4 gpm to the 1.6 gpm when she takes a shower.

We looked at the Caldera spa, which is similar to the Hot Springs Spa, and weren't as impressed with it as we were with the D1.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback on price? Should we haggle a bit more on price?

Thanks again for all the great resources and expertise here.

The D1 shell warranty is a bit problematic, and in some cases requires you to ship the spa back to the factory on your dime for repairs, so read all of the fine print.

The secondary item is most of the parts making up the spa are proprietary (like Hot Springs), so be prepared to shell out the big bucks for post warranty repairs.

Third--Check out your dealer's BBB rating-always.

They are a decent spa, but don't go into owning it without knowing these details.

The D1 shell warranty is a bit problematic, and in some cases requires you to ship the spa back to the factory on your dime for repairs, so read all of the fine print.

I've read the warranty info. What part do you find problematic? As I understand it, the shell is covered for 7 years in place, but after 7 years the owner would have to ship the spa back to the factory - (in San Diego, CA I think?). I'm guessing most people would never pay to have it shipped to the factory, so that part of the warranty is a bit useless.

Any other warranty issues you'd point out?

The secondary item is most of the parts making up the spa are proprietary (like Hot Springs), so be prepared to shell out the big bucks for post warranty repairs.

I would guess this applies to most spa manufacturers. Are D1 parts "more proprietary" than other spas besides Hot Springs?

Just checked. A+ rating and I know some of the management there personally. Hopefully that would help if I ran into problems.

Thanks much for the feedback!

I've read the warranty info. What part do you find problematic? As I understand it, the shell is covered for 7 years in place, but after 7 years the owner would have to ship the spa back to the factory - (in San Diego, CA I think?). I'm guessing most people would never pay to have it shipped to the factory, so that part of the warranty is a bit useless.

Any other warranty issues you'd point out?

I would guess this applies to most spa manufacturers. Are D1 parts "more proprietary" than other spas besides Hot Springs?

Just checked. A+ rating and I know some of the management there personally. Hopefully that would help if I ran into problems.

Thanks much for the feedback!

Hey Spiffydave,

I have worked for D1 Spas for several years in both Dealer Support and Technical Support; I would put our warranty against any manufacturer in the industry! The Amore bay is an awesome spa, and it comes with 5 year plumbing and equipment warranty that cover parts and labor. D1 doesn't mess around, we have been in business over 30 years and we stake our reputation on our product and warranties. The Amore Bay has been one of our best selling spas for a reason, it is a quality product and it looks beautiful in any environment. The price you have been given is very reasonable, I would ask them if it includes the lifter. If the dealer has an A+ Rating with the BBB, that says a lot and I would ask how long they have been in business. I would talk with the dealer and definitely see if there is any room for bargaining, and ask them if you could wet test the unit. Shoot me a PM and I will be glad to see if there is anything I can do to assist you with the dealer or information on the product. If you would like more information on the spa or the local dealer, give me call at (800) 345-7727 and ask for Dennis.

You can't go wrong with D1 Spas..!

d1dennis2009

That Amore Bay is a real beautiful spa! I live in Canada where prices are quite a bit higher so cannot comment on that. My wife and I went and looked at one, I had read alot about them and wanted to see one in person. The price was very high so we didn't consider it too seriously, but my wife really liked the spa. Both of us thought it would be a great alternative to a pool. I ended up with a Jacuzzi J470 and am totally happy with the purchase, we are still considering putting a pool in. It gets very cold where I live so the Jacuzzi will be a welcome addition to our winter routine!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback on price? Should we haggle a bit more on price?

The price is probably fine for what that model sells for but you should always haggle until you get the "that’s the best we can do" response. Personally I like D1 but am more of a fan of the Reflection series than their Bay series spas only because the Bay spas are a lot about bells and whistles and they obviously are pricey. I have trouble seeing myself going for the pricey end but its not me buying. It’s the same reason I wouldn't buy a Cadillac Escalade (or why I prefer the 300 series from Jacuzzi over the pricey 400 series) but in reality people that buy them aren't looking for the best "value spa" but are treating themselves to something they really like. If this is what you want rest assured it’s a reputable spa from a reputable spa company.

• 3 weeks later...

I sell the Amore Bay,, it is a great spa, nothing looks like it out there, that is one of the things that make it appealing... as for the shell warranty, the first 7 years covered on the Ultralife, after that it would need to be shipped to the factory to be repaired for free. One question is how many manufacturers at least offer this, not many, ok 1. But that is better than the acrylic shell they sell and everyone else has by Lucite. As for problematic i do not see it.... whats the problem.....parts propietary....what....... i can get the parts from Spa Parts PLus, Or Easy Spa arts, or even from Gecko, Spiffydave the price is great we just got with our Fair up here in Spokane and i sold a couple of them during the Fair and our Fair price was higher., Your buying a great product from D1 , they have your back if there is a need, I can call if i have a question and these guys have jumped through hoops to make sure our customers are taking care of if i need it.. If you have any questions you can call me or pm me as well..

I bought my Amore bay back in Dec 2010. In my opinion its the best looking tub. The perimeter lighting is awsome The deep seating is great. I can stretch my body out without hitting the far side. I am 5'9. I have had some problems with the tub,but all turned out minor. Dennis at D1 knows this tub inside and out. FYI that price is inline. Did you get the cattail skirting? I have the cattails and that adds $500 to the cost.

They are a decent spa, but don't go into owning it without knowing these details.

I take it your a salesman that competes against Dimension one!! Your statements are so off base!

I take it your a salesman that competes against Dimension one!! Your statements are so off base!

I have no salesman, I run an independant repair service, spa salesmen are a form of life somewhere between a used car salesman and a divorce atty.

If I have made a non-factual statement, tell me what it is.

I have no salesman, I run an independant repair service, spa salesmen are a form of life somewhere between a used car salesman and a divorce atty.

You may be a service guy but on-line you blatantly skew everything toward "buy Marquis" as if they are somehow the magic bullet so its no surprise everyone thinks of you as a salesman. Now there is nothing wrong with being a "homer" for one brand unless of course you try to act like you're not a homer.

I was looking at these a while back and really liked them. I never got a chance to wet test one because I knew it was out of my price range. I can tell you that I looked into the shell warranty and I think alot of it depends on your dealer. Mine said that they do so much business with D1 and are always getting stuff shipped. They told me that they would put it in writing that if I ever had an issue with the shell when it was still covered under the warranty period(the portion where customer has to ship it back), that my dealer would just throw it on one of their trucks at no charge. I would just have to pay to have them come out and move it onto the truck(I think they said about 100 bucks). I was pretty stoked about that but I was bummed I couldnt afford one.

I did however find a used 2008 Limelight Flair and have been very happy with it. I really thought I wanted a spa with the recliner but find I actually like the reclined seats a LOT more comfortable than the recliner. I am selling this one to my brother when I find a house and will probably be buying the Amore for mine. The Flair is good sized to have 4 people comfortably but I want more room the next time around. The Amore reminds me of a mini swimming pool. I dont like bumping feet with everyone in the tub.

Another thing I liked with the Amore was the water falls on both sides and the lighting...this looks awesome at night.

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide. I can tell you that when I was looking I was quoted an OTD price of 13.5-14k so you seem to be getting a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

You may be a service guy but on-line you blatantly skew everything toward "buy Marquis" as if they are somehow the magic bullet so its no surprise everyone thinks of you as a salesman. Now there is nothing wrong with being a "homer" for one brand unless of course you try to act like you're not a homer.

I'm a newb to posting here, but I have been reading for several weeks... Spa_Guru doesn't come across as a sales guy or a "homer" to me... He comes across as a tech who appreciates the quality of D1, but warns against the costs of the parts down the road...

I'm a computer nerd who has been a professional nerd since 1979... I was a massive Microsoft advocate when Windows 3.1 came out and now days I am a massive Mac/Apple advocate... I've seen it all, I've repaired it all... Now days I work for a major University and I run it all and repair it all... I'm certified to repair everything Mac and PC, portable, desktop, and server. And when it comes to Macs and PCs, Macs rules and PCs suck... Granted parts for PCs are far cheaper (in both price and quality). But anyone who has asked me what to buy since 2006 was told to buy a Mac. The bang for the buck and user experience is well worth it... I also know a lot about cars and fixing them... As a person who has spent a lot of time fixing them, I hate Ford with a passion... Sure the parts are not as expensive as an import, but their engineering sucks the big one and pisses me off... So for domestic, I prefer Chevy and Dodge... At heart I am still in love with American Muscle (provided it's not ford). I owned a 67 Mustang Fastback, but it was a royal pain, it was stolen 4 times and the 4th time it stayed gone (thank god, I was tired of fixing it and the engineer that designed those front shock towers should be tortured and shot).

Some of the most jaded people you can come across are people that fix one brand for a living... D1 makes a sweet, energy efficient, awesome spa with a good service record from what I can tell (so far)... But ask a repair guy that only works on D1s and you may get a different story.

Anyway, my Grandfather taught me that if you want to know about the quality of something, don't talk to anyone but a guy who fixes it from a living. Now there are a lot of PC/Microsoft loving morons out there who are clueless about Macs and they will swear up and down that Macs suck and to buy a PC. And there are a lot of moronic, hillbilly dumb@#$% automotive repair guys who live and breath Ford... And perhaps there are some moronic repair guys who live and breathe Marquis, but Spa_Guru doesn't come across to me like he is... He comes across as someone who values a buck and a good Spa and hates seeing people bent over by high-end marked up proprietary parts that some of these brands sneak in on the back end.

I don't know much about Spas at this point, but I do know there is a ton of truth to what Spa_Guru says... I just gave away a 22 year old pristine Sundance spa with a pristine solid redwood cabinet (the Spa guys I gave it to couldn't believe it was 22 years old because it looked brand new... It was inside a fully enclosed redwood spa gazebo it's entire life)... But they had the means to restore it for far less then I could... The circuit board alone was over 900.00 (lowest price on the web). And it needed pumps and a heater and ozonator... So I figured I would let them restore it and give it new life and I will go buy a new or used one... (so I am here doing my research, much like Spiffydave is)...

I have read a lot of postings from Spa_Guru that make perfect sense and have been impressed with his knowledge and advice. Some buyers need to hear what they will be in for ($) down the line, especially if they consider a D1 expensive on the front end. He didn't say D1 sucked (he's given them praise in many postings), he gave some cautionary advice on the whole picture... I don't know if Spiffydave appreciates that information, but I do... And I'm not sure why some guys are getting all butt-hurt over it, but I figured it was time for me to toss in a post in favor of that type of information.