Vacuuming Above Ground Pool - Problems

I have an 18' above ground pool.

This is the vacuum method that I have tried.

All works well except after 30 seconds or so the suctions stops. I then have to unplug hose to let the pump start circulating again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Are you getting an air lock in the pump? The trick is to get the hose filled with water and placed onto the skimmer intake without introducing air into the system. I place my hand over the adapter plate as I place it into the skimmer.

Every once in a while we'll get some air into the system and before we start to vacuum the pool we let it run for a few moments and make sure everything is fine.(I look down at the clear cover on the pump, over the strainer basket and ensure there is no air. Occasionally, I have to open the top of the my filter pump and "burp" the air out before I start to vacuum.

does that makes sense, and do you think that's what's happening to you?

You might try backwashing the filter prior to vacuuming. I know from my experience if the return isn't strong (check your pressure guage instead if you want), it means that the suction is diminished.

As the previous poster stated, trapped air in the hose can cause issues big time. Make sure you have a steady stream of water coming out of the hose prior to placing the vacuum cover over the intake.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 18' above ground pool.

This is the vacuum method that I have tried.

All works well except after 30 seconds or so the suctions stops. I then have to unplug hose to let the pump start circulating again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Don't lift the hose over the wall like the guy in the video, slip it through the skimmer. This vacuume method sucks to begin with because the adapter lets too much wayer bypass, better to stick the hose directly into the skimmer through the skimmer opening. the guy in the video just learned how to cvacuume for the first time. You can prime the hose without forcing water into the hose from the return. It' even faster and more relaible.