Gulf Coast Spas - Operating Costs?

dean_s

I purchased a Gulf Coast Spa in June '06. (LX11000). The operating costs seem to be more than I expected. I live in Chicago. Up until this month, we had a very warm winter. Cost in Nov/Dec were $60/month. Not too bad, but a little high considering the weather was relatively warm and I rarely used the tub during those months.

With outside temperatures now at 10-20 degrees F, my heater is running about 20 hours a day - and the tub is only set to 72 degrees F. When the temp of the water drops 1 degree, the heater turns on for 4 hours or so. Then the heater turns off for about 1/2 hour or so. Then back on for 4 hours. Should it take 4 hours to heat my water 1 degree with a temperature differential of about 60 degrees??

If not, will adding insulation be very effective? Or only moderately effective?

Is this problem due to GCS's insulation method (i.e. not using full foam insulation)? Or is it normal for cold weather?

I've contacted GCS by phone but they were not very helpful. They couldn't even tell me what to expect in terms of cost or heater usage.

I do not currently have a thermal blanket (although I think I will have one soon). The hot tub cover is 5 inches and seems to be in fine condition.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Dean

I have 2 friends with GC spas and they both pay about 100 bucks a month in winter for electricity. Did you say you only keep yours at 72? 4 hours for 1 degree is pretty high. I also have a poorly insulated tub (keys backyard and mine heats about 6-7 degrees and hour. Adding insulation would help you. If you are keeping it at 72 it doesn't sound like you are even using it.

I have 2 friends with GC spas and they both pay about 100 bucks a month in winter for electricity. Did you say you only keep yours at 72? 4 hours for 1 degree is pretty high. I also have a poorly insulated tub (keys backyard and mine heats about 6-7 degrees and hour. Adding insulation would help you. If you are keeping it at 72 it doesn't sound like you are even using it.

------------------------------

Thanks for the info. I turned it down to 72 in January because the heater was running constantly and I wasn't using the spa (travelling). Now, even at 72 it is running 18-20 hours per day. I'll probably shut it down next winter all togehter, but it's simply too cold to mess with right now and I don't want risk freezing the lines.

Yours heat 6-7 degrees an hour during cold weather?

I'm suspecting something is wrong with my heating element. But GC "techs" just say that it cost more to run during winter. During summer, it took about 5 hours to heat from 85 to 100. And the water temperature would not hold 100 degrees when the cover was off, even with the heater running and an outside temperature of 65 to 70 degrees. After 1 or 2 hours of use, the heater would be running but the water temp would drop to 100....98....96. Does this sound strange to you (or anyone else reading this blog?)

-----------------------------

If your temp was dropping like that, then your heater is not working. The heater should have no problem maintaining 100+ deg. with the cover off in freezing weather. More then likely your heater or controller is bad. It is possible that the only thing heating your water right now is heat and friction from the pumps. I’m sure that if you call Gulf Coast they will send the parts you need, and if you desire, a tech to install them. Have you called your dealer and explained your spa’s symptoms?

I purchased a 2005 model GC Rotunda (500 gal) in November 06'. Hooked it up dec 10th and heated 50 degree hose water at fill to 100 in about 6-7 hours.

I am just up the road from you in Madison, WI and I experienced that my tub would kick its heater on quite often (no idea on timing though). That was during the warmer months of december. Around mid January, I decided to add insulation. Since then, it dramatically dipped in outside temps -15-0 or so. Even during the cold, I THOUGHT (maybe its just mental) it would kick on substantially less often.

By the way, my set temp has always been 100 degrees.

I havent received my bill for 1/15 - 2/15 yet but i suspect it will be less expensive then the 12/15-1/15 bill, even though it was warmer in Dec/January. My bill 12/15 - 1/15, I attribute about $120 of it to Hot Tub.

It sounds to me like you have a bad heater element or something since it cant keep up. My heater can usually keep up, and mine is a 500 gal model.

Agree with the others. Your tub should be able to maintain. My tub will maintain temp with the cover off in cold weather, unless it is really windy.

Gulf Coast Spas have (and I guess other manufactures have the same) a winter freeze sensor. If the temp. falls below 41 or 45 deg. inside the cabinet the spa pac will cycle on every hour for a 24 hour cycle to monitor the water temp causing the pump to run for 15-20 minutes each hour. So if the temp doesnt change inside the cabinet the winter freeze cycle will continue.

I've asked GC service about changing the temp and they said they thought it was not changable. I did speak with Ken S from Tatum a few weeks ago and I thought for sure HE said the temp could be changed. I've been planning on putting a dual thermometer to measure high & low temps in cab & outside but guess I'm waiting for warmer weather or my 1st bill.

If the spa is getting below 41-45 deg. under the cabinet with all the heat generating stuff under there then it clearly isn't insullated well or there is a hole some where letting cold in & hot out.

I've been keeping mine at 99 so I can stay init for 1-2 hours and with 20-25 degree weather, cover off temp might drop 1-2 degrees and usually doesn't kick on unless it drops 3 degrees.

Heated up about 4-5 degrees per hour on initial fill w/ 55 degree water 350 gallons with cover off.

Agree with the others. Your tub should be able to maintain. My tub will maintain temp with the cover off in cold weather, unless it is really windy.

Thanks all. GC is shipping me a new heater.

I'm also going to insulate.

Based on what I've read in these blogs, Roxul AFB should be my primary insulating material. With foam and foil as altnernatives or supplemental.

I went to Home Depot. All they had was fiber glass and a small amount of low R foam.

Anyone know where to get Roxul AFB (e.g. Lowes, Menards, etc)? And/or where to get the reflective foil and flame resistant foam?

Thanks again.

-Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Dean

I have a GCF and Im in jersey, what I did to lower my bill.

I went to home depot and bought 3 bundles of plastic wraped insulation and put it on the floor of the tub under the piping then wraped the tub 3 times to block the wind from comming in. I seems to work well, my january bill was only 73.00

Dean

I have a GCS and Im in jersey, what I did to lower my bill.

I went to home depot and bought 3 bundles of plastic wraped insulation and put it on the floor of the tub under the piping then wraped the tub 3 times to block the wind from comming in. I seems to work well, my january bill was only 73.00

Dean

I have a GCF and Im in jersey, what I did to lower my bill.

Dean

I have a GCS and Im in jersey, what I did to lower my bill.

I too was planning to add insullation but first I decided to monitor the temperature outside the tub and inside. I have found that the inside stays at 40-50 degrees above the inside. In talking with the service dept at GCS about the frequency in which the spa pack runs a temp test of the water its hourly for 3 minutes. If the water temp has dropped the heater kicks in to heat to temp setting. With the pump running hourly for 3 minutes plus the regular filter cycle-do the math. Electrical consumption may be coming from the pre-programed cycling of the pump. I've cut my filtering down to 1 hour 2 times a day and water is fine.

A nother alternative would be to install a 240V timer to limit the number of hourly programed temp checks. The only problem is the spa pack re-sets to 95degrees each time electrical current is cut off.

Also the service dept cautioned me about adding insullation in that it should be removed in the summer to prevent high temps that could limit the life of the motors.

GREG!