Reaction To Hot Tub...

JPB

Not sure what's going on but lately if I go in my hot tub, for even just 2-3 minutes, about 4 hours later I have this red rash all over my mid section and back...doesnt show up on my legs though...it almost looks like a sunburn (nothing like a folliculitis). It goes away after a couple of days, but until that time, its itchy!

I have tried chlorine, bromine (pucks and granules) and have the same result. Im thinking its some kinda chlorine allergy that developed over a couple of years since I first got my tub. It didnt start happening until about a year ago, and for the first year I was in the hottub at least 3x a week.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know what I could try?

thanks,

jb

Not sure what's going on but lately if I go in my hot tub, for even just 2-3 minutes, about 4 hours later I have this red rash all over my mid section and back...doesnt show up on my legs though...it almost looks like a sunburn (nothing like a folliculitis). It goes away after a couple of days, but until that time, its itchy!

I have tried chlorine, bromine (pucks and granules) and have the same result. Im thinking its some kinda chlorine allergy that developed over a couple of years since I first got my tub. It didnt start happening until about a year ago, and for the first year I was in the hottub at least 3x a week.

thanks,

jb

Have you been using non chlorine shock? Some people are sensitive to it.

Have you tried lowering the water temperature? Some people react to the hot water.

thanks,

jb

Have you tried lowering the water temperature? Some people react to the hot water.

I havent used any MPS or other non-chlorine shock...I also turned the water to 98 to see what would happen. Today I jumped in for about 3 minutes to pull a few broken jets out to replace...4 hours later I was all red around my mid-section!....the water is brand new too...just changed it two weeks ago.

thanks,

jb

I havent used any MPS or other non-chlorine shock...I also turned the water to 98 to see what would happen. Today I jumped in for about 3 minutes to pull a few broken jets out to replace...4 hours later I was all red around my mid-section!....the water is brand new too...just changed it two weeks ago.

Posting a full set of test results NOT done with test strips would be very helpful as a starting point.

My son (8 yrs old) has eczema previously and has the same exat reaction as you.. The temp for when i know the kids are going in is set for 94 / 95 and he awakes 4 -5 hours (midle of night) with same thing.. I am using Bromine in my tub and test my tub everyday with PH 7.2 , bromine keep at 1.25- 2.25 , TA around 130 , and CA 140-150 .. We went in about one week apart and 3x in a row rash.. He hasnt been in weeks due to the rash and complete redness on his back .. Benedryl helped that but it just easier to keep him out.. Te kids only go in for 10 minutes anyway..