Stabilizer Making Thru Filter

I just got my pool installed and and hooked up my 22" sand filter and an intex salt water chlorinator after it. I put 3 lbs. of stabilizer in the skimmer like the directions said too. I was afraid that the pump was starving for water and started to dig to where I could see some of the screen. I then noticed the stabilizer that was small enough to fit thru the skimmer screen made it all the way back to the pool. I used 2 boxes (50 lbs.) of D.E to fill my sand filter instead of using sand. Isn't the sand filter supposed to catch something as big as the stabilizer which is like the size of rock salt?

I used 2 boxes (50 lbs.) of D.E to fill my sand filter instead of using sand.

Pay very close attention to what I posted below:

SAND FILTERS ARE DESIGNED TO USE SAND NOT DE POWDER. DE FILTERS ARE DESIGNED TO USE DE POWDER. THE INSIDES OF THE FILTERS ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CANNOT SUBSTITUTE ONE FOR THE OTHER AND EXPECT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY RUINED YOUR EQUIPMENT SHUT EVERYTHING OFF AND GET ALL THE DE OUT OF YOUR SYTEM, INCLUDING THE PUMP. BAD NEWS IS YOU MIGHT HAVE CREATED DE CLOGS IN YOUR PLUMBING NOW THAT ARE DIFFICULT, IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE AND YOU MIGHT HAVE DAMAGED YOUR PUMP!

OK, The lady at the pool store said that I could use it and only use half as much as sand. I am a rookie at this and this is my first pool with sand filter. I tell ya you would think the store owner would know her business. But I did some research on the internet today and seen that this d.e was an additive for sand, like maybe a cup full. I hear you loud and clear and will get that out of my filter. Do I have to backwash until the skimmer is empty of water and if I do I will be getting a valve for it for future problems. and by the way my pressure gauge is reading 19 psi. Is this normal pressure?

OK, The lady at the pool store said that I could use it and only use half as much as sand. I am a rookie at this and this is my first pool with sand filter. I tell ya you would think the store owner would know her business. But I did some research on the internet today and seen that this d.e was an additive for sand, like maybe a cup full. I hear you loud and clear and will get that out of my filter. Do I have to backwash until the skimmer is empty of water and if I do I will be getting a valve for it for future problems. and by the way my pressure gauge is reading 19 psi. Is this normal pressure?

If there is any damage to you equipment I would contact a lawyer and see if you can hold the pool store liable.

DE can be used as an filtration "helper" in a sand filter when the sand is old and not filtering as effectively but you are correct that only a small amount (enough to raise your pressure by 1 psi only) is used and that amount is normally a cup or two, depending on the size of the sand filter.

You need to totally dismantle the sand filter and get all the DE out of it. You have to make sure there are no DE clogs in the laterals of the filter or in your plumbing or pump. If the pool store has a service dept. I would contact them and tell them to clean your filter out at their expense because it was their employee who told you to substitute DE for sand!

I cleaned it all out today. tied the skimmer hose up. I used a shop vac and a water hose. Everything is o.k. It looked like the water made a tunnel inside the filter and was running thru it instead of filtering anything. I guess it was a good thing that the stabilizer made it thru and made me ask about it, or it would still be in there running with me clueless. As for the store, I will just not go back and she lost a customer. She did pronounce to be the owner, and if that is the case, I don't want that (expert) advice.

Thank you waterbear for your concern. I'm sure I will be back here scouring thru the forums for answers and asking more questions. Maybe one day I will help save someone's pump.

I cleaned it all out today. tied the skimmer hose up. I used a shop vac and a water hose. Everything is o.k. It looked like the water made a tunnel inside the filter and was running thru it instead of filtering anything. I guess it was a good thing that the stabilizer made it thru and made me ask about it, or it would still be in there running with me clueless. As for the store, I will just not go back and she lost a customer. She did pronounce to be the owner, and if that is the case, I don't want that (expert) advice.

Thank you waterbear for your concern. I'm sure I will be back here scouring thru the forums for answers and asking more questions. Maybe one day I will help save someone's pump.

IF you have any more questions please feel free to ask. We can help you get your pool running properly and inexpensively!