Sundance Optima Orjaczzi J365 Or J470

Hey all

Need some advice. About to take the plunge and buy my first tub. Looking at Sundance Optima, or Jacuzzi J365 or may even step up to J470, although it is pricey. Need to get some of your thoughts and experiences on these tubs and prices (I am in Canada). Also, I am looking to get stereo option, as it seems to be a great feature, although pricey...they chopped off $900 from 1800 asking price for stereo at Sundance....factory sale on Sundance, here in Calgary is also got some great prices....I am going to do wet test. THe factory rep from Sundance pointed out differences...better floor on SUndance better filtration....any others....stereo, is this just a waste of money. Lastly other tubs I should consider.

Thanks is advance,

Firsttimetubber (missed the e in registration)

Hey all

Need some advice. About to take the plunge and buy my first tub. Looking at Sundance Optima, or Jacuzzi J365 or may even step up to J470, although it is pricey. Need to get some of your thoughts and experiences on these tubs and prices (I am in Canada). Also, I am looking to get stereo option, as it seems to be a great feature, although pricey...they chopped off $900 from 1800 asking price for stereo at Sundance....factory sale on Sundance, here in Calgary is also got some great prices....I am going to do wet test. THe factory rep from Sundance pointed out differences...better floor on SUndance better filtration....any others....stereo, is this just a waste of money. Lastly other tubs I should consider.

Thanks is advance,

Firsttimetubber (missed the e in registration)

1) I would skip the stereo option for sure no matter what "deal" you think you're getting on it.

2) Optima and J365 are good options. I'm not as much a fan of the J-400 series, they're good spas but I don't see the justification for the steep prices on those but thats for you to decide. I don't know where the "better filtration" comes in between these. In fact if I got a Sundance I'd specifically ask them to swap out the expensive, 2 part filter with the micro filter that needs replacing often for a standard one-piece filter those does fine and has far less ongoing costs (they are available).

3) My personal list of brands I'd look at beside the two mentioned would include Caldera, D1 and Hot Spring.

I can't really comment on which is better but I bought a Jacuzzi J375 a couple of months ago and have been very happy so far. I ended up buying a floor model with all the bells and whistles and while having the stereo is nice I could only recommend it if you have the privacy to fully utilize it. My neighbors are fairly close and with the jets on the stereo needs to be pretty loud to really enjoy it and I just don't feel comfortable playing it as loud as I'd like to. In my case I end up using a pair of cordless headphones 90% of the time I soak so I can listen to my music at the volume I want without having to worry about the neighbors, I enjoy having the stereo, I just don't use it very often because of volume issues.

I agree with vooswing, I too have to turn my stereo quite loud when the jets are on before you can appreciate the music to the full. Where as I am quite a bit a way from any neighbours I would expect this could be an issue with ones closer by.

The optima is a nice tub. I wanted that one, but the wife wanted a lounger, so we got the Cameo ( Its the optima, but with a lounger.). I cannot comment specifically on the Jacuzzi model you are looking at, but the Sundance Optima, in my opinion, is super sweet.

900 bucks for the stero may seem like a deal bc of the relative value being shown as 1800. In my experience, the Stereo components in Spas arent very good, are expensive, and arent backed by the manufacturer for a timeframe that justisifies the cost...to me. Most appear to be covered by a 1 year warranty, with some 2 years. 900+ for a year or 2 of a subpar sound system seems like a rip off in my opinion. 900 bucks can buy you a really nice weatherproof stereo or some very nice outdoor speakers that could jive with your current stereo, and they would last a lot longer than the sub par components on most spas that are contstantly exposed to moisture and the elements.

Best of luck in the rest of your search/decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear your checking out of the spas. ON the first post you said the factory rep was their and pointed out some differences.Whats funny with his scenario is they are made in the same factory , and Jacuzzi owns Sundance, So how can one be better than the other when they are both premium brands? The quote that the floor and the filter is better....I guess i would have to say that is his preference....obviously since he is the Sundance rep.. but come on.What makes it betterthan any of the top tier brands: isn't it have a abs pan, just like Jacuzzi, D1, Clearwater, H20, Marquis to just name a few,, and i believe the warrany is about the same on all these with the base....give or take a few years.. Don't get me wrong Sundance is a great brand. I think your top tier of spas are: D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot SPrings, Marquis,Caldera, to name a few.... But i have to say on the filter system i do not believe is better.They use a horizontal filter with a weir gate...they are the only manufacturer that uses a horizontal filter,,, they also have a suction fitting under the filter in the skimmer box,,,why!!!!!, also if you think about fluids in general and filtration systems in any industry, majority are vertical ofr 45 degree angle, fluid will take the least path of resistance>>> on a vertical filter the water goes thru a skimmer creates it owns vortex, goes all the way down the filter,on a horizontal filter, how is the water going to go over the gate straight into the filter in the middle and gwt suckined into the ends of the sustion, if you look cloe enough at the filter the ends will have a 2 inch-3inch dirt mark and tapers way down toward the center of the tub...It is a different concept, if it were better than everyone elso would be doing it....Again Sundance is a great brand i am not slamming it but take issue when salesman or reps say they are better than another brand,,, there system and others do the same thing the move water, filter water, clean water, some do it differently than others. I have sold Sundance I am just not a fan of the horizontal filter!!!!!also not a fan of the micro filter, it gets spendy to replace the micro side monthly...ask for the regular filter>>>On the stereo i hate them i would rather spend the money on an outdoor bose stereo sytem were the speakers are pointing towrad the tub, cost less and will be able to hear them better.but good luck with the wetests,,,,, B)

Thanks Spa guy, I also wondered why no one else went horiztonal, you give more food for thought. As for stereo, others have told me' it can take away from the relaxation' especially if I pay for a tub with waterfall! So think stereo is out, and will go with external music source' save the $1000-$1500....price depends on brand. With no stereo, the J-470 price point looks even better.

Nice to hear your checking out of the spas. ON the first post you said the factory rep was their and pointed out some differences.Whats funny with his scenario is they are made in the same factory , and Jacuzzi owns Sundance, So how can one be better than the other when they are both premium brands? The quote that the floor and the filter is better....I guess i would have to say that is his preference....obviously since he is the Sundance rep.. but come on.What makes it betterthan any of the top tier brands: isn't it have a abs pan, just like Jacuzzi, D1, Clearwater, H20, Marquis to just name a few,, and i believe the warrany is about the same on all these with the base....give or take a few years.. Don't get me wrong Sundance is a great brand. I think your top tier of spas are: D1, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Hot SPrings, Marquis,Caldera, to name a few.... But i have to say on the filter system i do not believe is better.They use a horizontal filter with a weir gate...they are the only manufacturer that uses a horizontal filter,,, they also have a suction fitting under the filter in the skimmer box,,,why!!!!!, also if you think about fluids in general and filtration systems in any industry, majority are vertical ofr 45 degree angle, fluid will take the least path of resistance>>> on a vertical filter the water goes thru a skimmer creates it owns vortex, goes all the way down the filter,on a horizontal filter, how is the water going to go over the gate straight into the filter in the middle and gwt suckined into the ends of the sustion, if you look cloe enough at the filter the ends will have a 2 inch-3inch dirt mark and tapers way down toward the center of the tub...It is a different concept, if it were better than everyone elso would be doing it....Again Sundance is a great brand i am not slamming it but take issue when salesman or reps say they are better than another brand,,, there system and others do the same thing the move water, filter water, clean water, some do it differently than others. I have sold Sundance I am just not a fan of the horizontal filter!!!!!also not a fan of the micro filter, it gets spendy to replace the micro side monthly...ask for the regular filter>>>On the stereo i hate them i would rather spend the money on an outdoor bose stereo sytem were the speakers are pointing towrad the tub, cost less and will be able to hear them better.but good luck with the wetests,,,,, B)

Hey firsttimetubber. This is what your looking at with those 2 dealers in calgary.

The sundance dealer has been around for 25-30 years in the calgary area and i'm not sure if they have always been selling sundance for that lenght of time. I rarely work on sundance hot tubs, which would make me believe that the dealer is doing a great job at the after sales service and support. If it wasn't i would be working on a lot more sundance models. Pretty good dealer by sounds of things. But the tubs themselves having worked on a few I wouldn't be the best person for advise on that brand but the ones I have seen, nothing too special about them.

The Jacuzzi dealer has been around now for 5-7 years in the calgary area. He has A+ rating on the BBB, but that being said I have worked on a lot more jacuzzi hot tubs than sundance. I have worked on hot tubs that are still under warranty but they would rather pay for the servicing of the hot tub rather than go back there. Something to think about.

If you were to ask me for advise on hot tubs to consider I would stay away from cir. pump systems, ( I probably cursed this thread now and it will go off on a rant about why cir. pump systems are better). This is my opinion about hot tubs I do not like the cir. pump systems on hot tubs as I find they have more problems than ones that don't have cir. pumps.

spatechnician,

sorry i have to disagree, i sell and service both styles, my personal tub since the 90s, still has the original circ pump in it... no issues,,, yes back then if consumer not trained on chemicals use, then there were failures,,,, but also now you have the larger 24/7 circ, and the new laing has a magnetic field...the advantage i believe is the filtering 24 hours a day, not 2 hours every 12 , which can be adjusted, also not hearing the spa in the middle of the night is nice.... ;)

like I said trying not too start a discussion about cir. pumps in hot tubs and not having a cir. pump in your hot tub, and changing the topic like every other thread regarding someone looking at buying a new hot tub,but as we see it's sometimes is hard not to do. It gives the consumer views on either way to run a hot tub atleast and maybe something to think about and consider which he believes is a better way to do things or maybe confuse him or scare him from even wanting to buy a hot tub anymore, (hope not lol).

I do however find that there are more flow issues relating to dirty filter with hot tubs that have cir. pumps compare to hot tubs that don't. Filter size on those little cir. pumps shouldn't be any bigger than a 35sq. ft. filter. If it is then your going to starting having issues. Look at Jacuzzi right now for example they have changed there filter size because they had to thick of a filter in there hot tub before which they were having flow issues. I know this because I have customers come into the store looking for these new filter and before they were completely frustrated before because of these flow alarms and no heat in there hot tub with these larger filters clogging up. Another example of who knows this is beachcomber hot tubs. You will not find anything bigger than 25sq.ft filter in there hot tub and if you do then you have the wrong filter size. The hush pumps which is the aquaflo cir master pumps do not recommend anything bigger than 25 sq. ft. filter due to the extra stress the cir. pump will get. So having a filter size of 35 sq. ft. and comparing it to a filter say 100sq. ft. which filter is going to collect smaller microns out of the hot tub. I would say the 100 sq. ft. filter.

Lets compare flow rates between a laing cir pump and say a 4hp exec. pump.

Flow rate is appx. 8-12 gpm and flow rate of a 4hp exec. is appx. 25-30gpm.

So we will use the laing at 10gpm for easier math and the 4hp at 25gpm.

10gpm X 60mins= 600gpH (hour) and times that by 24hrs = 14,400GPD So this is how much water the laing cir pump will filter appx within a 24 hr period, 14,400g

25gpm X 60mins= 1500gpH (hour) and times that by 24hrs =36,000GPD. This is how much water the 4hp will filter appx. within a 24 hr period, 36,000g

Thats a difference of 21,600g

So the 4hp would have to run 9.6hrs to filter the same amount of water a laing cir. pump would do over a 24hrs. period.

I just feel there are more cons to having a cir. pump than pros.

If you find a non. cir. pump system is loud at night change the filter cycle. We have a floor model hot tub running and the a/c in the building is louder. We have customer come in and say "I though these bigger pumps were louder, thats what I have been told". Bigger pumps aren't as loud as they use to be.

Im just giving he consumer something to think about, because on here you will find a lot of sundance, jaccuzi, hotsprings, Caldera, D1, service guys and dealers than any other hot tubs.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have wet tested the Optima, and not sure on the stereo, think as this is my first tub, I can do with out. Wet test Jacuzzi models next week.

Hello, I'm a first time hot tub owner and after wet testing several tubs (Jacuzzi J365 and Caldera Niagara) we purchased a 2010 Floor Model Sundance Optima and could not be happier. Ours did come with the stereo and after having it for 8 months I can say I'm rather impressed with the sound, it is a very nice JBL system and as for having to turn it up loud to hear it over the jets, I don't agree with this statement. To sum up why we went with this tub over the other 2 are for these reasons: Footwell size, Footwell jets, overall jet feel, Depth of Tub, different seating options and the Shell / Tub color combination.

• 2 weeks later...

Northern New Jersey we installed our hot tub, a Sundance Optima in the fall of 1998. We use it outdoors all year long even the winter. All pumps are original equipment. One pipe leak I repaired (under the filter area)was tough but persistance paid off. A circuit board was replaced by the dealer for $400.00. I installed a new ozonator one time. I replaced the flow switch and twice replaced the temp sensor (thermister). I keep a spare heater replacement on hand just in case.

I would buy another Sundance as I do not think 13 years and a few repairs are a problem.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for your help and advice, after wet testing the three tubs, went with a 2011 J365, no stereo.....figured won't miss what I don't have...now next question what to do for a base. I have a gravel pad that was dug and compacted last year...was going to build either 4inch thick concrete slab.. 8ft by 8ft, then deck around that...or gravel base...4x4 filled with sand then pea stone, with concrete pads on top....suggestions or sites anyone can point me too appreciated. Concrete looks like it will cost about $900 to do.

In case your wondering why J365 vs Optima...found the J365 more comfortable, 470 was a dream, decided didn't want to invest that much in my first HT.