Trying To Reduce Ta

Hi all, We bought a Sundance Cameo (with ozonator) last fall and the first water fill went great and the water was within all chemical parameters and the no problems all winter. We figured every 6 months we should drain the water and refill and when we did, the TA tested 500, PH was 8.4, and chlorine was 1.5ppm. The spa store recommended adding Acid Magic to bring down the TA and it gradually came down as more and more was added. TA is now 150, CH is 225, PH is 7.8, and Chlorine shows 0. We are using Sun Purity cartridge, a chlorinating crystal shock every week, and shocking the spa after every use. Problem is, the water is now cloudy and foamy when the jets are on. Also, to me, the water smells slightly foul. Before I empty the thing, read Nitro's material, and start over; I wanted to see if that is necessary or if it just needs a good shock and clarifier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, JC

Chlorine shows 0.

Problem is, the water is now cloudy and foamy when the jets are on. Also, to me, the water smells slightly foul.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, JC

Pretty much what happens when the chlorine is too low!

Thanks Waterbear, We put another 2 oz of chlorine shock in the tub last night and today the smell is gone. We have been putting in just 2 oz a week since the tub is used 3 or 4 time a week by 2 people. We are going to start putting the chlorine shock in the tub twice a week now. One question Waterbear if you please. We are testing the water with a Taylor K-1005 kit and we test the FC and then the FC and subtract it to get the CC which came out to 0. Any idea of what the CC should approx be with our system of Sun Purity, bi-weekly chlorine shock, and non chlorine shock after every use? Sure appreciate your help, JC

MPS will test as CC so you cannot test CC when using MPS without a special reagent from Taylor for the 1000 series of kits and additional testing steps.

IF you want to also test the monopersulfate levels you will need a 2000 series test kit (I strongly recommend the k-2006 over the K-2005!) and a different reagent designed for this series of kits.

OK Waterbear. I understand what you are saying. I will pick up a K-2006 and the K-2042 reagent you mentioned. So after using the new kit, is there an approx value of what CC should be or is CC irrelevant since we are using MPS? Thanks again!

IF you are going the silver/MPS route then CC is not important. If you are using chlorine then the sunpurity cart is not needed since it really is not doing anything for you and MPS is not normally needed unless you have persistant CC.

Also, you should not really go 6 months between water changes, IMHO, 3 to 4 months is better since you have a very small volume of water in the tub and organics will build up fast.

Thanks again Waterbear! And roger that on the water change intervals. We filled it the first time in October and the winter was such a mother here and everywhere that we could not get it changed until March. We will be on the 3 month schedule from here on out. I'll have to look at the archives and see how it refilling goes with folks who have well water and a water softener. Maybe since we were new to this, it took damn near 2 months to get the water right and once it was right, I figured don't mess with it. Wrong figuring! Again, I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge, JC

Thanks again Waterbear! And roger that on the water change intervals. We filled it the first time in October and the winter was such a mother here and everywhere that we could not get it changed until March. We will be on the 3 month schedule from here on out. I'll have to look at the archives and see how it refilling goes with folks who have well water and a water softener. Maybe since we were new to this, it took damn near 2 months to get the water right and once it was right, I figured don't mess with it. Wrong figuring! Again, I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge, JC

bump